• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By onewizard
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Turn Signal Cancelation Alarm/ WIP

So a little explanation here. I have witnessed while driving a car , a motorcycle going down the 401 highway, not a care in the world, beautiful sunny day, apparently he is turning right at any moment, at least he was 5 KM ago and apparently is just looking for that exit. Well I have had it happen, coming over a rise in the road, hitting 8k , up-shifting like crazy , need to boot it home, just turned right onto the road, not paying attention as my tank bag kind of hides the signal light blinker on the dash. I see a guy to my right stopped at a stop sign, getting concerned cause I am just 15 over the speed limit and it appears he is going to pull out. Fortunately he realizes at the speed I am going, no way could I make the right turn my signal light is telling him, yes just then I realize , OH S**T , and cancel the signal light. So I have had this sonic sensor for at least 25 years and at least 5 or 6 bikes ago, each time, yup going to install it. So last week I did that but realized I need a complicated circuit , as I don't want to hear beep beep beep beep for 3 or 6 minutes while I am waiting for the light to change. I have a very special and a very cheap programmable timer coming from China. I am looking at a 3 minute delay on operate. Since the signal is intermittent , the timer needs to acknowledge this intermittent time , yet use the actual time elapsed at a set point , in this case of 3 minutes. So I stuck it in, put some wire on it, and left it.
Today while walking the dog, I had cleared my brain, and it hit me, 90% of the time, my signal light is on while I am stopped, waiting at a stop sign or stop light. So I now have my sonic alarm active, with provisions to add the timer when it gets here.

So a number of things. I have a rework solder station, I still do some personal rework on control boards. Since I am retired, my electronic suppliers are no longer accessible, has to me as a private citizen . That became apparent in 2019 when a local large electronics supplier had a notice when I got to check out, minimum order $100 plus shipping. NFW. So I have a list of electronic suppliers that sell to individuals and ship to Canada. I ordered something like 13 Omron PCB relays , all special configuration, with shipping to my door, something like $56 . I got it in like 5 days. There are other suppliers like Sayal or Princess auto , but when it comes to basic electronic parts Diggi-Key is excellent, also a few others.

So if there is interest I will add this to How To and add more info. For now here it is.

Round thing to the left of the TPM-- Sonic Alarm

This relay came with my Denali light kit, it was SPST but only wired using the normally open contact #30 & 87 , I removed the connector and wiring and made my own harness, that is a socket and relay , originally I was going to use one of the 13 PCB relays I removed from my Haier PCB , unfortunately they were SP ST and DPST, no NC . So I am using #30 & 87A of that relay. The sonic alarm will sound for the same amount of time that the signal light is on, since the current is something like 0.0125 amp at 14 volts, that is nothing.

I have a mistake I have BR as in bridge rectifier , but I also have BR as brake relay. So the brake relay has contact # 30 & 87A and coil circuit 85 & 86

Note also that many times mass produced items are cheaper than less used devices. Rectifier diodes are generally available in 1 and 2 amp ratings. I have a multitude of 25 and 30 amp bridge rectifiers . I designed a special ground fault device for large carbon arc Miller gouging welders, that are no longer made, they put out 2000 amp continuous. The issue was these were mounted remote, a common occurrence was having the work electrode which was attached to a steel plate, come in contact with the steel building structure, so someone bringing a casting on a crane, well it was arc time, many times the 1 inch steel airline had a hole blown in it, the 200 HP compressors couldn't keep up and of course the shut off valve needed a lift or extension ladder to reach. So I have some left over parts .Those bridge rectifiers can have a standard spade female terminal attached , no soldering required.

Last edited by onewizard; Yesterday at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've only had one bike with self-canceling signals, a 1990 Yamaha YX600 "Radian". It worked great and I wish all bikes had them.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l.

Shoodaben ECU reflash; SW-Motech luggage rack, side racks, cases, foot pegs & GPS shelf; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; RKA tank bag; Nat'l Cycle windscreen; Givi hand guards; BMW grips; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; full decalectomy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Is it Auto Cancellation or just sonic sound to alter rider.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This is a mistake that happens to me at the wrong time once in a while and scares the hell out of me. Intersections are where most accidents occur and on a bike the ante is upped. Personally I wonder if I need the delay, straight on lower level sonic with turn signal would work. I dont wear earplugs though..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Alert To Turn Signal Still On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Is it Auto Cancellation or just sonic sound to alter rider.
For now it is a alert, only if no brake is applied, and turn signals on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
This is a mistake that happens to me at the wrong time once in a while and scares the hell out of me. Intersections are where most accidents occur and on a bike the ante is upped. Personally I wonder if I need the delay, straight on lower level sonic with turn signal would work. I dont wear earplugs though..
Yes, for me to leave the city, I have about 4 ways to the 401, a additional 4 options to leave by way of city streets and single lane highways, an last about 4 ways of using our expressway. So the majority of roads out, are multi-lane, . Our expressway was a afterthought, many on ramps are also off ramps, that is we cross each others path. Some days I am crossing 4 lanes to get clear of the off ramp, multiple lane changes and that requires signalling , all the time expecting someone to pull in front and slam on the brakes because they thought passing me would get them one car length further in the off ramp, even though I am by now in one of the through lanes, so cancelling my left lane change signal isn't top priority.
Pushing the cancel button is almost automatic, however I have been on country roads, had someone cut me off , simply because the distance was deceiving to them, depth perception ( crossing the highway from a stop, they thought they had lots of time). Last year I had possibly two times my signal was on while driving on a singe lane highway, bright sunny day, ambulance with lights and siren, in a group of cars, not everyone watches their rear view mirror, this case I signaled for a right, got off as far right as possible, I am doing 80 KM/HR , where I was, was a gravel shoulder , so I needed to slow down, in my case that was sufficient room to have the ambulance get by. The very next thing is to observe what the cars in front and behind are doing, we are all getting onto the road, this was a unplanned signal lane change per say. I probably went 2 KM with my signal on in bright sunshine, until the car behind beeped his horn and hit his emergency flashers, within 10 seconds my brain goes, oh S**T , look down , yup turn signal on, cancelled it and gave the car driver a Big thumbs up

So we have super cops in the city, guys are too busy to come out to the neighborhood when multiple car break in's occur, even with video. They say maybe they catch the guy and then have evidence, well my neighbors took things into their own hands, caught a guy with a distinct bicycle, 3 days later he was caught again, two neighbors chased this guy , shook him up a bit. The cops told the guys they shouldn't have done that. My point is, we have police watching you come to a stop, ready to write a ticket for failing to stop or failing to signal a lane change.
Once the timer gets here, I intend to incorporate it so that my backup alarm only sounds if my signal is on longer than 3 minutes without using either front or rear brake, the brake will reset the timer.
For those areas where we have several left hand turn lanes, I intend to try and wait without using my brakes, to alert the person beside me in a car that I am also turning, stay out of my lane. Yes I have had people cut in front of me during a turn, no place to go because of a concrete median.

I hope that explains it, so far I have spent$00.00 on this project. To buy the stuff, here is a example https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...568-ND/6192572 . If I was to buy everything new, about $40.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
I remember a couple of years in the 1970s when a lot of bikes had turn signal beepers. They were so annoying (particularly when at a standstill) a lot of them got disconnected by the owners. My old Radian had a great factory system that used speed and time to determine when to auto-cancel the signal. Every bike should have Yamaha's self-cancelling turn signals, and Kawasaki's neutral-finder. :^)
jaaklucas likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l.

Shoodaben ECU reflash; SW-Motech luggage rack, side racks, cases, foot pegs & GPS shelf; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; RKA tank bag; Nat'l Cycle windscreen; Givi hand guards; BMW grips; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; full decalectomy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Relay Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I remember a couple of years in the 1970s when a lot of bikes had turn signal beepers. They were so annoying (particularly when at a standstill) a lot of them got disconnected by the owners. My old Radian had a great factory system that used speed and time to determine when to auto-cancel the signal. Every bike should have Yamaha's self-cancelling turn signals, and Kawasaki's neutral-finder. :^)
Yes that would drive me crazy, so like I said, walking the dog it hit me, with either brake applied, absolute silence, trust me, if I found someone waiting in a off ramp for the light to change and a 105 DB alarm was going off, I would expect something like road rage to occur. I just want to know that hey, wake up, wipe that smile off your face, OK , you deserve to have with that new flash, but seriously are you going to turn right or did you forget to cancelthat turn signal.
To reiterate, we have roundabouts everywhere here now, we have those special people that are in a bigger hurray than everyone else , that left on turn signal is their excuse, trust me, with ATGATT , I will still end up the worse for wear tangling with a car.
Got to go, silicone is cured and I ain't taking the gas tank off again, going to follow my fiber optic cable with a single 18 gauge purple wire and tie into the gear brake wiring.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; Today at 05:40 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thumbs up I Took the Easy Way Out

Smart Turn System

I've used it for all of my 2019 riding season and really like the results.
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

100% Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Smart Turn System

I've used it for all of my 2019 riding season and really like the results.
Yes I saw that, since I have the ability to build my own, not as foolproof as the smart turn system but, the next best thing, I have the knowledge and materials already on hand. I chose to buy the timer as it is fairly sophisticated for $8. The programming will need to be worked out, as my language and that of the seller don't match.
Found the original post and commented.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode