• 2 Post By invader
  • 1 Post By smurray0810
  • 1 Post By dddd
  • 1 Post By smurray0810

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Fuel cap seized - taking apart fuel cap and cleaning

I have been having issues with the fuel cap over the past 6 months. The key would go all the way in the locker but it would not turn all the way to open the fuel cap. The temporary solution was to spray some silicone lubricant and after 5-10 minutes it would eventually turn and open the cap. Today I decided to take apart the mechanism and clean it thoroughly. To remove the fuel cap you only have to unscrew the two bolts at the bottom and one at the top. The other two are for aesthetic purposes.

Here is how the mechanism looked like

All the parts were covered in white stuff. The locking mechanism consists of two tabs that slide in and out inside a rail and a spring to pushes them apart. I cleaned off the corrosion using some fine sandpaper and steel wool, sprayed them with silicone and put everything back together. Overall the lock now turns a lot smoother than before. No more worrying about breaking the aluminum key. However the key does not turn back when you open the fuel cap, I am suspecting that the key cylinder has some corrosion as well and I would need to remove it and clean it too.

The job took about 30 minutes and is an easy thing to do.
onewizard, turn8a and quexpress like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
That's the most corrosion I've seen for a fuel cap!
Was it unused for 5 years or what?

Normally, my only maintenance there is to put graphite in the keyhole and that's about it.
I fuel up high enough that this mechanism is soaking in fuel. Never had any corrosion since.

Any water in the gas is at the bottom, but if the tank is not full, you have water in the air. Any cooling below dew point will make condensation and cause this crap on long term. That would be winter storage. That's why winterization begins fueling up to max. Just don't fill up too high if your bike will be indoor; you probably get fuel in cold days and if it warm up indoor, it will expand and overflow and stink up your garage. Now, how do I know that... :-)

Tip: fill your last 2 tanks with non ethanol (often super 91) to avoid ethanol in system. Stabilizer is not mandatory for only 3-4 months of non-ethanol but won't hurt. Stabilizer may make things worse with ethanol fuel. See projectfarm's clip:

Last edited by dddd; 03-01-2020 at 06:26 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing.

I fill to the brink to keep the cap lubed. Never had a problem so far.

DON'T LEAVE YOU TANK HALF FILLED AND PARKED FOR A LONG TIME.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I live in the NorthEast and I ride all year around. The bike is parked outside and exposed to rain, snow and extreme cold at some point during the winter. I am not sure how to avoid corrosion on aluminum parts in these situations.

If you only add graphite lubricant to the lock it maintains the lock but it doesn't take care of the locking mechanism. Many people on this forum were complaining that although the key goes in and can partially turn, the fuel cap does not open. Remember to check and clean the locking mechanism.
quexpress likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I found this PDF that someone else wrote about how to take apart the fuel cap lock mechanism and lock cylinder and plug, and clean them. This for a different bike but most of the parts are very similar to our bikes.

http://www.xj4ever.com/gas%20cap.pdf
invader, onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing the PDF file.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

I tried to take lock cylinder off to clean it but I am having trouble removing the lock cylinder from the housing. I can see what I think is the brass retaining clip but I can not push it back in. I used a tiny flat screwdriver or a small thin scissors but no luck.

Any suggestions? Is there another way?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
With a slightly curved small screwdriver behind the brass clip, push it down (as seen on photo) towards center of fuel cap, while pushing lock cylinder out... A little shot of WD-40 might help.
onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
How To Eventally

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosb View Post
I found this PDF that someone else wrote about how to take apart the fuel cap lock mechanism and lock cylinder and plug, and clean them. This for a different bike but most of the parts are very similar to our bikes.

http://www.xj4ever.com/gas%20cap.pdf
As in the title, your post could help hundreds
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally got mine off today after months of struggling with it. I tried WD40 and graphite but it wasn't the key that was stuck, it was the corrosion on the locking wings not budging. Hit it with a rag wrapped hammer a few times and used a sacrificial key and it finally opened up. Before I start sanding is there anything I can soak it in overnight to help clean off some of it? Just a cup of clean gas maybe?

onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurray0810 View Post
Finally got mine off today after months of struggling with it. I tried WD40 and graphite but it wasn't the key that was stuck, it was the corrosion on the locking wings not budging. Hit it with a rag wrapped hammer a few times and used a sacrificial key and it finally opened up. Before I start sanding is there anything I can soak it in overnight to help clean off some of it? Just a cup of clean gas maybe?

That is corrosion from water, anything you use will attack the aluminum. My suggestion is to use a red scotch brite pad and clean the oxide off, what happens is similar to rust, the oxide has reduced clearance , the only way is to get rid of that oxide. Using sand cloth or other methods you take a risk of adding the component in say emery cloth into the aluminum. You could also use a emery board / nail file, for finger nails also. My preference is red scotch brite , I used this link https://www.amazon.com/s?k=red+scotc...b_sb_ss_i_1_16
As to lubrication, follow previous recommendations.

I did a quick search , ammonia apparently works, ammonia to me in any concentration is deadly to me. I am not a fan of dump it into this, it will work kind of approach. What is more important, you need to use fuel stabilizer and according to a very good video, even stabilizer has very little good effect when using a high percentage ethanol based fuel.

https://www.brillo.com/cleaning-prod...mmonia-cleaner

Last edited by onewizard; 04-26-2020 at 01:36 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Wow, this bike certainly has seen his share of hi and low temps...

Fine sanding of all sides of moving parts to restore the smooth surface. Do not sand so much that it would change clearances.

I found some teflon lube. Rather tacky. I though of chain lube too. But at the same time I was worried that fuel would just wash it away anyway, an only interfere with fuel filter or worse, injectors. So if it isn't designed/documented to lube the gas cap, that's because it doesn't need it.
At most, wd40 can burn so that's the most I would use.

The cap does need fuel and splashing of it, to move water away.
I fill up about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the hole, all the time, so the cap soaks in fuel a little while.
But that is not for leaving in the sun or over winter indoor. Fuel would expand and spill. Only do that when you know you'll ride another 5-10.

Of course, inspect at every fuel up for deterioration.

Oh, and be sure to leave that tiny pinhole clear after your cleaning.
onewizard likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
That is corrosion from water...
I took it all apart, soaked it all in vinegar for a few hours, then spent another few hours scrubbing it with red scotch brite to get the big stuff off then some 600 grit sandpaper.

onewizard likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

kopr kote

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurray0810 View Post
I took it all apart, soaked it all in vinegar for a few hours, then spent another few hours scrubbing it with red scotch brite to get the big stuff off then some 600 grit sandpaper.

I have mentioned this before, various brands but I have used this extensively, yes gasoline will dissolve this, the point is, it is almost impossible to have gasoline in the upper most inner parts. The stuff I used had various ingredients, graphite and copper were the main ones, the T&B version was $40 Canadian for a small can. I would use a small amount on all moving surfaces on the inner parts, I would also coat the threads of the screws, be aware less torque will be needed . Several brands of this, loctite makes one as do a few others Permatex https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...?rrec=true#spc

https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/A...7ML/p/JTL10202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode