• 1 Post By AmbientMoto
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Vacuum Sync Question / Confusion

So I've recently done a valve clearance check and adjustment. Clearances are now all on the loose end of the spec. I checked the throttle body sync today before final reassembly... they were really close but I wanted to get them perfect.

To my surprise, no amount of adjustment caused a change. I opened the throttle each time I made an adjustment, but nothing.

Now, I was using an old 'carb sync" tool with flickering meters; that could be part of it, but I thought I'd at least see some change.

-RPM was at 1300.
-Needles behaved identically with throttle movements.
-Engine was fully warmed up.
-Tank was off, on a table next to the bike.
-Airbox was removed.
-Air switching valve was in place and connected to electronics.

Did I miss something? Thanks in advance.

Here to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Vacuum sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
So I've recently done a valve clearance check and adjustment. Clearances are now all on the loose end of the spec. I checked the throttle body sync today before final reassembly... they were really close but I wanted to get them perfect.

To my surprise, no amount of adjustment caused a change. I opened the throttle each time I made an adjustment, but nothing.

Now, I was using an old 'carb sync" tool with flickering meters; that could be part of it, but I thought I'd at least see some change.

-RPM was at 1300.
-Needles behaved identically with throttle movements.
-Engine was fully warmed up.
-Tank was off, on a table next to the bike.
-Airbox was removed.
-Air switching valve was in place and connected to electronics.

Did I miss something? Thanks in advance.
I had a long discussion on this, Steve in Sunny Florida has a video on this, bottom line, if the sync was correct when you got the bike, once the valve shim is correct it will be in sync again. I brought my vacuum lines out and capped them, they are identical legths and used strictly as a quick test. Using the theory that if the sync is off so is the valve shim.

Have a look, I originally tried to sync on my 07 with homemade gauges, a true waste of time. The one I bought can do up to 4 cylinders, worth every penny, rock solid, cranking causes a momentary imbalance.Also one screw is in all the way, only adjust one side. Read the service manual, note my readings this past summer were very close to 28 cmHG

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...gs-mk-3-a.html

Last edited by onewizard; 02-23-2020 at 08:56 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My curiosity was WHY the meters showed no change... even though I rotated the screw (left side) out quite a bit just to see what would happen on the meters. Again, could have been the meters... it was an old 4 cylinder carb sync tool I used for my CB.

I should have seen some kind of change, correct? The fact that I didn't makes me wonder if I was doing something wrong. As it stands now, the screws are where I found them and all is balanced.

I did take the opportunity to extend my lines per suggestion so now I can check the sync quickly and easily. My numbers were just below 28.
onewizard likes this.

Here to learn.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:03 AM

I built my own and it works just fine.

Did not want to spend $100 for something I would only use once or twice in the life of my bike.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...body-synq.html

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
My curiosity was WHY the meters showed no change... even though I rotated the screw (left side) out quite a bit just to see what would happen on the meters. Again, could have been the meters... it was an old 4 cylinder carb sync tool I used for my CB.

I should have seen some kind of change, correct? The fact that I didn't makes me wonder if I was doing something wrong. As it stands now, the screws are where I found them and all is balanced.

I did take the opportunity to extend my lines per suggestion so now I can check the sync quickly and easily. My numbers were just below 28.
There's nothing wrong with using meters. If they worked fine with your CB, they should do the same for your Versys. Check your meters with something else (vacuum pump, other vehicle, etc.).

BTW I tried to work with Carbtune (2 of them) about 15 years ago and never got them to function properly (although Carbtune replaced them).

Since then, I have often my meters (vacuum gauges) on different bikes without any problems.

onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 02-24-2020 at 02:48 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Right; the Carbtune looks awesome but I'll keep my flickering dials for now. I'm also curious to build one with tubing etc just because I enjoy that type of thing. @quexpress I like the look of that rolling setup.

I'm still curious... does anyone have any thoughts as to why adjusting the screw showed no change in vacuum? I may remove the screw and give it a good cleaning; perhaps things are just gummed up. The PO certainly did not keep up the maintenance on this bike; the air filter was a mess.

Again... this is mostly a curiosity, but since I didn't see a change it makes me wonder if I was running askew somewhere. I'm certain the meters work and were connected properly.

Bike runs great; I definitely wont lose any sleep over it.

Here to learn.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Same Homemade/ Then Carbtune

Quote:
Right; the Carbtune looks awesome but I'll keep my flickering dials for now. I'm also curious to build one with tubing etc just because I enjoy that type of thing. @quexpress I like the look of that rolling setup.

I'm still curious... does anyone have any thoughts as to why adjusting the screw showed no change in vacuum? I may remove the screw and give it a good cleaning; perhaps things are just gummed up. The PO certainly did not keep up the maintenance on this bike; the air filter was a mess.

Again... this is mostly a curiosity, but since I didn't see a change it makes me wonder if I was running askew somewhere. I'm certain the meters work and were connected properly.

So yes my early homemade gauges were exactly the same as https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...body-synq.html, you need a means of damping, since left and right need to be identical, homemade doesn't work very well, a slight mistake and the transmission fluid goes into the engine. I was helping @Smiley with the Polaris regulator install, he showed me the CarbTune, the rest is history, I look at the cost of a valve shim, hooking may gauges up takes 5 minutes ( the cost of a good valve shim is roughly $600),so within a 5 minute period I can verify my vacuum is still in sync and assume so is my valve shim, the valve shim is over 8 hours ( two days, not as fast as I was when 30 years old). I might try and check it ( valve clearance) as I need to pull all the plastic off for some major electrical work.
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-24-2020 at 09:58 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Try to dampen both gauge hoses with an inserted smaller tube, such as a specific length of an empty pen ink tube, wrapped in electrical tape to fit in the hose... I remember seeing this being done somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode