Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Operating temperature?

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
Hi guys, not sure how many of you have a temperature gauge installed for the coolant and wondering about the operating temperature of your bike.

I had a full exhaust system installed including a remap of the ECU and think the bike is running slightly hotter... Guys at the shop said it should not as the engine is running richer now so over all should run cooler.

I took the bike today for a longer ride during the day, temperature was about 30c, while going about 50-60km (some slow downs due to a bit of congestion) the temperature was between 90-94C. Would go down to 85C when doing about 80-90km/h. Fan does kick in at about 102C displayed when stopped. I am pretty sure that prior to my exhaust installation and remapping I could get it to 86c just by going at about 60km. I'll be heading to Cambodia next month where it's gonna be even hotter and riding at higher speeds will not always be possible... Or am I just being paranoid?

#2 ·
ECU Flash / By Whom?

I have a 2015 Versys 650 that has been flashed by Shoodaben , it actually runs cooler now than original, I have a ThermoBob, so hot summer temps the fan would run all the time below 60 KM/HR , not anymore . Below is a photo of my bypass temperature during a heat cycle, to check fan cutin temp.

#4 · (Edited)
A series-type regulator/rectifier would result in a much cooler stator, as well as a cooler running engine.

Stator cover which used to be at 96°C~104°C with stock shunt-type R/R, is now at 84°C~86°C with series-type R/R, while left cylinder head is at 92°C~96°C in the same ambient temperature... Stator cover temperature is now more stable at about 14°C cooler on average, and up to about 18°C cooler.

Do you have a radiator guard covering your coolant radiator?

Maybe it ran cooler because it had a rich stock fuel calibration?

#5 ·
Hi,

Yes I have the radiator guard, had it from day one.

We did initial dyno run prior the the exhaust change and it was leaner so technically it should be cooler now... Unless I am just imagining things or the guys that did the tuning messed something up.

#6 · (Edited)
You still have the original 2016 coolant? Is it green? You could try replacing your 4 year old original coolant, and make sure you have a 50/50 mixture of new coolant and distilled water. A higher coolant content in relation to water which evaporates over time, reduces its heat transfer capability... You may well notice some white dried coolant residue in the reservoir. Flush it out and the pressure cap as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.