• 2 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By Lours_Polaire
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Electrical questions - Lights

Hi guys, I need some electrical advise, hope someone here can help out I have a 2016 Versys 650 and:

I replaced low/high beam with LEDs (40W each)
I also added two auxiliary LEDs lights (40W each)
And replaced the corner lights with 2 1.8W LEDs

I had a local mechanic wire things up but not the way I wanted. He said he didn't want to cut into the existing wiring - so I am trying to figure out if we should just run new cables from the battery or have him work with the existing wires.

What I would like to do is to be able to have individually be able to turn on low beam and high beam (so one switch for each) and another switch for the auxiliary lights. On top of that I'd like the passing switch to turn on all 4 lights.

Attached is a diagram of how I think it could work, but given that I have almost no electrical knowledge I wonder what you guys think? What's missing etc?

Also is running the 4 lights gonna put too much strain on the generator/battery?

BTW here are links to the lights:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32679019890.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955132733.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958065186.html

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire-diagram-2.jpg (10.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by JarekN; 02-12-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
it looks like you have a complicated way of thinking about lights. why do you want to have everything individually switched?
look at these guys. they might have your solution ready to go.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

In Cambodia daylights are illegal, plus my corner lights are bright enough for day when needed. So ideally i'd like to be able to control all of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
it looks like you have a complicated way of thinking about lights. why do you want to have everything individually switched?
look at these guys. they might have your solution ready to go.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarekN View Post
In Cambodia daylights are illegal
Interesting twist. Any idea why? Here in Canada daylights are mandatory on all vehicles and on a motorcycle or any other two wheeler on the road a lifesaver...
Lours_Polaire and quexpress like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

I am actually from Canada so well aware of that Been living in Vietnam for almost 10 years now and here no one really cares, but on last trip to Cambodia I did get pulled over and had to make a 'donation'

LAW ON LAND TRAFFIC (Cambodia)

CHAPTER IV
USE OF VEHICLE LIGHT AND HORN
ARTICLE 28
At night or day time, when could not see clearly such as during the heavy raining, fogging, or passing
through underground road, the drivers on the road have to use vehicle light as following conditions:
1. In case in the time of driving the vehicles:
A. Far-light (high beam) light is generally used at night time on the road without electric lamps, to
look far ahead but the driver has to be careful not to interfere with other vehicles coming in
opposite direction. The far-light is prohibited to turn on in city or town where there is enough
light of electric lamps, except in the case of giving signal for overtaking or making way by using
both high and low beams.
B. Low beam light is used in the following cases:
At night time inside and outside towns where there is light of electric lamps on the road
At night time outside town where there is no light of electric lamps on the road, in the case
of being about to pass another vehicle, and when driving close after another vehicle
At day time when could not see clearly due to bad weather such as heavy rain or foggy
Normal light (low beam) can be used alternatively with far-light (high beam) as the signal to
replace the horn at day time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Interesting twist. Any idea why? Here in Canada daylights are mandatory on all vehicles and on a motorcycle or any other two wheeler on the road a lifesaver...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Distribution Point

Quote:
Hi guys, I need some electrical advise, hope someone here can help out I have a 2016 Versys 650 and:

I also added two auxiliary LEDs lights (40W each)
And replaced the corner lights with 2 1.8W LEDs

I had a local mechanic wire things up but not the way I wanted. He said he didn't want to cut into the existing wiring - so I am trying to figure out if we should just run new cables from the battery or have him work with the existing wires.

What I would like to do is to be able to have individually be able to turn on low beam and high beam (so one switch for each) and another switch for the auxiliary lights. On top of that I'd like the passing switch to turn on all 4 lights.

Attached is a diagram of how I think it could work, but given that I have almost no electrical knowledge I wonder what you guys think? What's missing etc?

Also is running the 4 lights gonna put too much strain on the generator/battery?

BTW here are links to the lights:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32679019890.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955132733.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958065186.html

Thanks!
Look at these;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ng-stator.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...on-thread.html

No time today, but I made a distribution point on the left side and added relays, about $4 C/W wire harness rated 40 amp.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ne-photos.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...thing-etc.html

And this is some of my wiring

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...n-outlets.html
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:

I also added two auxiliary LEDs lights (40W each) ...

Thanks!
40 watt led, those must be blinding !
?!?

LOP
jaaklucas likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
40 watt led, those must be blinding !
?!?

LOP
Sounds like hes got his numbers wrong. Ive got 36W per side LED headlights, close to blinding due to my MK3 inefficient reflector design. They need to be aimed properly to not blind oncoming. And I have 18W Aux lights with a hi-lo switch. This is more the norm. Maybe he means 20W per side....
onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Nah, my numbers are ok, have a look at the links that I included. And yes they are bright, another reason why I'd like to have more control over them.

Quote:
Sounds like hes got his numbers wrong. Ive got 36W per side LED headlights, close to blinding due to my MK3 inefficient reflector design. They need to be aimed properly to not blind oncoming. And I have 18W Aux lights with a hi-lo switch. This is more the norm. Maybe he means 20W per side....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Nah, my numbers are ok, have a look at the links that I included. And yes they are bright, another reason why I'd like to have more control over them.
Just woke up when I did this post so Im gonna edit. The Lumen rating is the real rating. Your headlights are also a 4-sided LED emittor, something I was considering compared to the traditional 2-sided but chickened out. Because our Mk-3 reflectors are 6 sided, there may be some crazy horizontal effects. My 2 sided 36W 6000 (per side)Lumen emittor does a bit of this. We were thinking of mounting the side to side emittor up and down to get rid of the horizontal wash, see if that works. The problem for us MK-3 is retrofitting LED to our reflectors, not designed for it compared to modern efficient LED projectors. You may be the first to try these 4-sided emmitors on this forum. Proper adjustment of the reflectors aim a must. I have my 20W per side aux. spots independently operated with a hi-lo switch as I run them as daytime running lights. You dont need much power for daytime, like 10 W. per side, save some running power.

Last edited by jaaklucas; 02-16-2020 at 04:01 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Watts / Lumens

Quote:
I agree, clicked the first link, says 40 watts 4800 lumens
Quote:
I am willing to bet your numbers are wrong, if you have a meter that can measure amps DC, put it in series. Those 40 watt 4800 lumen lights should actually draw 3.12 amp at 12.8 VDC.

Below is my SafeGo at 36 watts and 6000 lumen as a FYI , at 14.2 VDC the current is 2.53 amp DC , at 12.8 volts it is 2.81 amps , if those lights are 40 watt at 4800 lumen, they are very inefficient. Do a comparison, my Safego are 166 lumen per watt, your Ali lights are 120 lumens per watt or 72% efficient compared to the Safego, only sure way is with a ammeter and lux meter.I have verified my SafeGo with a Fluke 189 meter.

notice the ring separate from the LED light , gets mounted before , also will need to allow a opening in the rubber gasket for the original light housing for the fan, as it needs to have fresh air for cooling

jaaklucas likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-16-2020 at 01:21 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 02:10 PM

I bought these Safego 36W with Onewizards recommendation. Super bright and great housing design, can be rotated for adjusting light throw for different reflectors. H7 stocks right in.

Last edited by jaaklucas; 02-16-2020 at 02:21 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

It is possible that the numbers in their listing are BS lol, wouldn't be the first time. I don't have the tools needed to measure and check em so it is what it is. They are bright enough for my needs so will stick with em till they die

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I agree, clicked the first link, says 40 watts 4800 lumens

I am willing to bet your numbers are wrong, if you have a meter that can measure amps DC, put it in series. Those 40 watt 4800 lumen lights should actually draw 3.12 amp at 12.8 VDC.

Below is my SafeGo at 36 watts and 6000 lumen as a FYI , at 14.2 VDC the current is 2.53 amp DC , at 12.8 volts it is 2.81 amps , if those lights are 40 watt at 4800 lumen, they are very inefficient. Do a comparison, my Safego are 166 lumen per watt, your Ali lights are 120 lumens per watt or 72% efficient compared to the Safego, only sure way is with a ammeter and lux meter.I have verified my SafeGo with a Fluke 189 meter.

notice the ring separate from the LED light , gets mounted before , also will need to allow a opening in the rubber gasket for the original light housing for the fan, as it needs to have fresh air for cooling

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

Quote:
It is possible that the numbers in their listing are BS lol, wouldn't be the first time. I don't have the tools needed to measure and check em so it is what it is. They are bright enough for my needs so will stick with em till they die
Let us know how the 4 sided emittors work out can you? You are the first that I know of here thats tried it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode