Sudden stall on freeway - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
PCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sudden stall on freeway

During today's morning commute on the freeway my 2015 v650 stalled. I was able to safely pull over. After a few attempts it hesitantly started again and it let ride half mile towards the mechanic shop and then stalled again. It did not start again. All the bars of the fuel guage were flashing when I turn the key to ignition. It had to be towed to nearest dealership while they look at it and I am nervously waiting what could be wrong. There was plenty of gas. About 100 miles ago I had replaced the air filter, I am wondering if i did anything wrong there. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You removed the fuel tank to access air filter, then reconnected everything? What mileage is it at? I'd say look for the obvious like vacuum lines and stuff, but it's already at the dealership so we shall soon find out.

Last edited by invader; 01-21-2020 at 06:06 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:12 PM

If it ran fine before you changed the air filter, then it's likely related. A vacuum issue perhaps. Probably simply checking the hose routing will reveal something.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
PCX

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You removed the fuel tank to access air filter, then reconnected everything? What mileage is it at? I'd say look for the obvious like vacuum lines and stuff, but it's already at the dealership so we shall soon find out.
Yep, replace the air filter, put back the tank. This was my 3rd time doing it so not sure what I could i have missed. It is at 38500 miles. I still haven't heard anything from the mechanic.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
let's hope it's simple. i've had a fuel pump go out before on a different brand. on a bike with <3000 miles.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
PCX

Got it back fixed today. I was told the connector in the wire harness under the gas tank had disconnected. Looks like that is something I might have caused when handling the fuel tank. This was definitely avoidable, guess having done the filter change a few times i got too lax.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Got it back fixed today. I was told the connector in the wire harness under the gas tank had disconnected. Looks like that is something I might have caused when handling the fuel tank. This was definitely avoidable, guess having done the filter change a few times i got too lax.
Good to know, thanks for the follow up post.

"Like"

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
That's good... It also explains your fuel gauge bars flashing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode