• 1 Post By Kawarides
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 2 Post By Buffalo_Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Handlebar wobble

Back from a trip and my handlebar experienced wobbles from 170km/hr and above.

I do have a Kappa 52L top box & both tires are fairly new , any areas to look into it to effectively reducing or eliminate this?

Just took over this bike few months ago.

Thank you.

It's never too late to ride & let the good times roll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If your tires are at proper pressure I expect that top box turbulence is the cause. I've had my V650 up to 185 kph- smooth. No bags or boxes.

One of the Concours I had would shake at 200 kph with the hard cases on- took them off and the bike was smooth at the same speed.

You could take off the box and try it again- will confirm or eliminates it as the cause.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Smiley; 01-14-2020 at 08:43 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Like Smiley said. Suspension pre-load settings or steering stem bearings are also possibilities, but don't get into that until you've determined whether the top box is the cause.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:11 AM

Garage
I had a similar experience when I first bought my used 2014. It had a Shad top case. I removed it and the vibration or shimmy went away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
They call me: Chief Many Roads
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
2016 BMW K1600GT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:13 AM

I have a Givi 47L top case and have never noticed a problem with the stock screen. But my larger Givi screen doesn't like going past 85mph.

2016 Versys 650, Carbon Gray/Black
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:56 PM

Garage
Kawarides- update on your dilemma? Did you try riding without the box?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Kawarides- update on your dilemma? Did you try riding without the box?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Took off the box and tried it again at the mentioned speed, not wobbling anymore but vibration from engine LOL

Thank you
Fastoman likes this.

It's never too late to ride & let the good times roll
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 11:02 AM

Yesterday I instal on my V650 Givi trekker 42, and today I notice about 52-63 km/h handlebar wobble.
When I hold my hands on handlebar it is OK, But when I leave handlebar so I can adjsut my right glove with left hand, handlebar start to wobble little.
Top box was empty, I don't know how it will be with full loaded top box.

Till today I never have wobble because I didn't have top box.

Is there any solution for this problem, like adding some weight on front part of motorbike?
I see that here is place where I can add 1 kg of lead for better stability on front part of motorbike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olovo.jpg (18.0 KB, 8 views)

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 08:41 AM

Garage
The following is my opinion only:

No matter what weight you add to the front end, nothing will remove the turbulence caused by a top box. A taller windscreen might help, but it will just move the problem to another zone.
kardan likes this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
The following is my opinion only:

No matter what weight you add to the front end, nothing will remove the turbulence caused by a top box. A taller windscreen might help, but it will just move the problem to another zone.
So basically, hold both hands on handlebar and ride, and be carefully if you need to release handlebar in ride.
Or adding steering damper (for extra safety) which are to expensive for me.

Well I need to learn to ride with top case

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Garage
Steering damper would work, but as you said it's spendy.

It's always a good idea to keep at least one hand on the controls. I prefer to keep my right hand on the bars for emergency braking. On a long ride, when the road is clear, I sometimes flex my shoulders in circles to loosen them up, the left hand and elbow too.

If there is no traffic ahead or behind me, I can lock my throttle and exercise the right arm and hand. Choose your spot carefully to do that. I never take both hands off at the same time.

Good luck and let us know your progress. Happy riding.
kardan likes this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 01:53 PM

Also my opinion only. I'm a firm believer in keeping a lower center of gravity and prefer to carry weight in my factory panniers. I have added a top box, but find I use it so infrequently, I usually run with it off, even if it is more convenient . With a top box, not only do you have the wind turbulence to deal with, any added weight added to it shifts the center of gravity further back behind the back axle.
jaaklucas and kardan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode