• 4 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
headlight boot

howdy and happy holidays.

i am going to put some led h7 bulbs in the '18 v650. the have a fan attached. i have figured i may have to cut a hole in the boot to expose the cooling fan of the led bulb. probably just enough to fit around the shaft between the fan and the light. i have seen on partzilla that the boots for the earlier versions have a hole exposing the back of the bulb. does anyone know if they would fit the gen 3 headlight assembly? i would prefer not to butcher the boot so to speak. 2014 #49016. it's the same for the ninja 650 and klr. the ninja is $1 cheaper.

thanks.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dadsafrantic; 12-24-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Unless something has changed or your bulb assemblies are different you will also have to make up new custom retaining clips as the stock ones will not fit the new assembly. I used Evitek brand LED. I used a steel clothes hangar.

Someone here did a really nice how to on it with excellent pics. Time to do a search.
jaaklucas likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Unless something has changed or your bulb assemblies are different you will also have to make up new custom retaining clips as the stock ones will not fit the new assembly. I used Evitek brand LED. I used a steel clothes hangar.

Someone here did a really nice how to on it with excellent pics. Time to do a search.
thanks. i'll do that.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 06:18 AM

As far as punching a hole in the boot is concerned its probably a good idea to have a ventilation hole anyways to allow the fan to discharge the heat. Read that in a post by someone here not long ago,probably courtesy of onewizard. Good science there. Wish I had thought that detail through when I did mine as heat is an issue for longevity of this big LED, especially the constantly on low-beam. The fan is always on so I believe it would be continuously pushing air out.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
As far as punching a hole in the boot is concerned its probably a good idea to have a ventilation hole anyways to allow the fan to discharge the heat. Read that in a post by someone here not long ago,probably courtesy of onewizard. Good science there. Wish I had thought that detail through when I did mine as heat is an issue for longevity of this big LED, especially the constantly on low-beam. The fan is always on so I believe it would be continuously pushing air out.
i would think of putting the shaft of the bulb through the boot with the fan exposed. just thinking. that's why i am wondering if the gen2 boot would fit the gen3 headlamp.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
What You are Looking For / C/W Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
i would think of putting the shaft of the bulb through the boot with the fan exposed. just thinking. that's why i am wondering if the gen2 boot would fit the gen3 headlamp.
I am sure you have seen my post about LED headlight conversion on MK-3 , so I won't repeat it. here is what you are looking for post #82 page #3

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html
dadsafrantic likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 05:47 AM

And the Safego F2 H7 36W didnt need any homemade wire clip, stock H7 connector and bracket for us if I remember correct. They also can rotate 360 degrees in the socket though I haven't tried experimenting with this to see if it helps with our 6 sided reflector issues. Next time I open the lid I may. Very slick, bright lights!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
And the Safego F2 H7 36W didnt need any homemade wire clip, stock H7 connector and bracket for us if I remember correct. They also can rotate 360 degrees in the socket though I haven't tried experimenting with this to see if it helps with our 6 sided reflector issues. Next time I open the lid I may. Very slick, bright lights!
To do list this winter, have the SafeGo in low beam, since high beam is only used when no opposing traffic, I am going to try it out. It would mean a 50 to 60 watt reduction on high beam. And the SafeGo is sitting in the box.
dadsafrantic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode