Sticky Turn Indicator Switch - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Doctor Shifty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sticky Turn Indicator Switch

Almost right from the "get-go" when I got my new 2018 Versys 650 LT in early 2019 I found the handlebar turn signal switch was sometimes hard to move to the right, the left direction has aways worked fine. Shortly after getting my bike I mentioned this to the dealer service manager who agreed the right direction was a little stiff & he gave it a shot of something (probably WD40, I forget) & it then seemed to be fine. However, since then on occasions I've found it almost impossible to move the switch to the right which can be disconcerting when approaching a road junction. I've always expected the switch to move easily either way with just some light pressure from my thumb. The switch seems to be more troublesome now that I'm out riding in the colder weather (10 C / 50 F). I could easily give the switch another quick shot of WD40 again but I wondered if anyone else had run into this problem & perhaps had a better fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:34 AM

Ran into this on an older bike and the WD-40 treatment did the trick permanently - which suggest my switch was simply dirty inside and that got it flushed.

If the problem persists on a new bike, and WD-40 only works short term, I predict either:
- There's some bigger obstruction somewhere inside, maybe a speck of plastic that got there during production, or some dirt, and it needs to be taken apart for a proper clean up
- The component is faulty somehow

In either case, I'd go to the dealer, report the problem, remind them the WD-40 treatment was not enough last time and ask for a closer inspection. You can also do it yourself, that switch housing is probably held together by like two screws, but you might lose warranty, especially if you end up braking some flimsy plastic tab inside.

For what it's worth, my 2015 Versys with 40 000 miles has a perfectly smooth switch - you shouldn't need to do repeated applications of penetrating oil to keep it moving. If they tell you "yeah, just keep squirting when it gets sticky", they're being lazy.

2015 Versys 650
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
...For what it's worth, my 2015 Versys with 40 000 miles has a perfectly smooth switch - you shouldn't need to do repeated applications of penetrating oil to keep it moving. If they tell you "yeah, just keep squirting when it gets sticky", they're being lazy.
My '15 V650LT has a pretty smooth turn-signal switch, at about 42,000 miles, TOO.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
It may have to do with the angle of pressure. My switch is typically smooth as well but recently I "switched" over to winter gloves. Something about the way the glove fingertip angle interfaces with the switch makes the right turn position really hard to engage. It seems any amount of forward pressure (as opposed to lateral pressure) makes the switch a bit more resistant to movement. Makes sense as a left turn is accomplished by "pulling" the switch and a right turn is more of a "push" action. YMMV.

You could always buy a turn signal switch oiler; I bet they have them at the BMW dealer.

Here to learn.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
You could always buy a turn signal switch oiler; I bet they have them at the BMW dealer.
Ha.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

If the bike is still under warranty it should be a dealer repair. The switch should not need repeated applications of WD40 or anything else. And if it does, taking it back to the dealer to do it (and making sure he logs it it) means you have a paper trail in the future if it fails completely. Remind him that he has agreed that the switch is sticking in one direction and the problem continues.

Taking a switch apart is notoriously tricky. There are tiny springs in there what will jump out as soon as they see daylight. Good luck finding an escapee.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm planning a trip to the local BMW dealer to get some of that turn signal lubricant & I'm taking lots of cash with me.
Thanks to all for the feedback, I'm going to try another shot of good old WD40.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 08:39 PM

Garage
My guess is that your low on Blinker fluid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode