4Likes
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By james75
  • 2 Post By _Big_Mac_

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tire Wear Truth

Curious how many of you get frustrated reading tire reviews from online stores, only to discover a huge difference reported on mileage from a set.

One guy on a 650 will wear out a set in 3500 miles, while another guy on an R1 liter bike will report 8000 miles and plenty of tread to go. I realize riding style will effect longevity but not to this extent especially when the guy reporting double the mileage is on a 100 pound heavier and double the horsepower road burner.

Wondering where a guy can get a realistic estimate of longevity before shelling out several Benjamin's only to discover it really ain't so.
funflyingguy likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
i've never really noticed or paid attention to the longevity report of reviewers. i look for handling and wet performance from reviewers and longevity from manufacturers. people loved the pr4 and i thought it was good for longevity but not great for how my pig of a caponord handled. too stiff. 12kish. angel gt/the first version were great until the end of life and they were scary but last 12k on the rear and longer on the front. avon 3d storm ultra were amazing in the rain and lasted 15k+ no real weirdness at the end of life. on the first caponord (2006) i ran 150/70 15 on the back and they lasted 15k, handled great and were awesome in the rain.

they don't make the pr3 anymore. i'm going to rum the avon spirits on the v650. also a great handling rain tire that got me 12k on the pigonord.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:09 PM

Garage
You get more info from regular users than from store reviews. How long you get on tires depends on a lot of things including rider weight, tire pressure, how you ride, whether you ride twisties or not, etc. For reference, I weigh 175lbs, mostly commute on straight smooth pavement roads, run the pressures stated in the manual, and ride reasonably and I got 9,000 miles on my Michelin PR4 tires. I could get another 2-3,000 on the front, but I went ahead and bought matching Road 5s.
onewizard likes this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Also, asphalt compound type has a considerable effect on tire longevity, you'll get different results based on where you ride (not just how and in what conditions)
Smiley and funflyingguy like this.

2015 Versys 650
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't listen to a review on tire mileage unless it ALSO provides mileage from tires the same guy used but that you already know, to normalize the result.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:53 AM

I have 11 000 km on my Versys 650 2018 on OEM Dunlop tires , and rear tire I think it is worn out about 50% (did't measure tire depth when tires was brand new, but i think that is worn out about 50%)
I have 105kg, and I ride without extra weight, and I don't ride on twisted roads, I don't ride fast ( new laws about tickets, they get much more expensive than before, so I don't wish to get ticket)

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kardan; 11-16-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode