Fork Seals & Suspension - Fall Project! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fork Seals & Suspension - Fall Project!

Hi all,

Been a good while since I posted--guess it's a good sign I've been riding my V instead! As the weather turns colder here in Michigan, it's time for me to do some service to my '09 V-650. One of my fork seals started to go this summer. Temporarily repaired it with a seal saver, but I'm going to need to replace them over the winter. While I'm at it, I thought I'd change out the fork springs & do some other service. I've read through what I can find here and serviced other USD forks, but I figure I'll ask:

• Does anyone have a preferred source for fork seals, wipers, etc.? I thought I'd replace the bushings (44065 & 44065A), wiper (92093), & seals (92049).
  • While I'm in there I thought I'd change out my fork springs. I've been eyeing getting a HyperPro Street box. Any thoughts on them on the V?
  • Anything else I should tackle while I've got the wheels off?
  • Any must-acquire tools for servicing the V's forks?
  • Once I've got new seals on there, any thoughts on Shock Sox or other fork seal guards--are they worth it? This bike is my go-to commuting bike, rain or shine, so I could see having a bit of extra protection.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

2009 Kawasaki Versys -- Lovin' it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpjive View Post
Hi all,

Been a good while since I posted--guess it's a good sign I've been riding my V instead! As the weather turns colder here in Michigan, it's time for me to do some service to my '09 V-650. One of my fork seals started to go this summer. Temporarily repaired it with a seal saver, but I'm going to need to replace them over the winter. While I'm at it, I thought I'd change out the fork springs & do some other service. I've read through what I can find here and serviced other USD forks, but I figure I'll ask:

• Does anyone have a preferred source for fork seals, wipers, etc.? I thought I'd replace the bushings (44065 & 44065A), wiper (92093), & seals (92049).
  • While I'm in there I thought I'd change out my fork springs. I've been eyeing getting a HyperPro Street box. Any thoughts on them on the V?
  • Once I've got new seals on there, any thoughts on Shock Sox or other fork seal guards--are they worth it? This bike is my go-to commuting bike, rain or shine, so I could see having a bit of extra protection.

i have the luxury of several good suspension shops here in the bay area. i just pop off the tubes and take them in. $225 for the service including seals covers and whatever weight oil we decide on.
https://www.crstuning.com/who-we-are/
https://superplushsuspension.com/

we also have moto guild. you go and work on your bike in a rented station. they have the tools. you can have tires delivered there. they have classes for stuff you don't know.
https://motoguild-sf.com/

i've had hyperpro springs and shocks on a couple of bikes. they are nice for sure. the definitely civilized the rides.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dadsafrantic; 10-29-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
[*]Any must-acquire tools for servicing the V's forks?....
Yes - try SEARCH for making a fork-tool from the nut from a semi-truck.

Quote:
[*]Once I've got new seals on there, any thoughts on Shock Sox or other fork seal guards--are they worth it? This bike is my go-to commuting bike, rain or shine, so I could see having a bit of extra protection....
Yes - seals went on my '15 V650 at about 10,000 miles (repaired under warranty), and NOW have about 46,600. GREAT since I added "FORK SKINS".

P4170911 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Yes - try SEARCH for making a fork-tool from the nut from a semi-truck.

That's for Gen 3 Ed.
ajpjive has a 2009.
I believe that you had a write up for that tool.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Here's the link to a thread I did for Gen 1 and 2 forks:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-probably.html

Hope it helps you.

-

Thanks for the reminder quexpress.
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi all,

You will need to buy or borrow a fork seal driver. You will also need to make a fork tool like the one I posted in the stickied thread out of a scrap of sheet steel.

You will find it helpful to make a fork removal tool. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1589315

You will also need to buy or build a fork seal driver.

It is helpful to have 2 people to insert the fork tool above that holds the spring down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode