Front brakes capability - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kawarides
  • 1 Post By 16VGTIDave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front brakes capability

Hi folks, I find that the front brakes of my 2014 Versys 650 not effective enough as in when I squeezed the lever hard the bike is still braking gently unlike my Street Triple that will 'bite' whenever I pressed the lever.

Read from few bike reviews that the brakes are not really up to the expectation but just enough to perform its duty.

Would like to hear some advice before I do up the brakes, thank you.

It's never too late to ride & let the good times roll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
My 09 brakes well , in fact i have fixed Anti Lock system in the brake line so that I don,t have a front lock out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
My 09 brakes well , in fact i have fixed Anti Lock system in the brake line so that I don,t have a front lock out.
Look like I'll need to work on it. Maybe bleed the system and replaced a pair of new brake pads first.
Thank you
Fastoman likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Replacing the pads with EBC HH (or similar) will make a significant improvement. Replacing the rubber brake lines with braided stainless steel lines will improve the feel of the brakes.
leftbrain99 likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:56 AM

Garage
Strange, I've tested the Yamaha MT07GT and MT09GT (both brand new demo bikes with about 300km on the clock), the Vstrom 650 (2000km demo bike) and the Versys650 (4000km demo bike) and found the Versys having the best brakes in both braking power and feel of the bunch. Even though "professional reviewers" say the yammies have the best brakes.

Maybe you were/are used to the bite of the Tripple's brakes, but the Versys' brakes will also put the bike on it's nose with only two fingers.

Or, there could be something else going on.
How long have you owned the bike?
Were the brakes serviced every two years? Changing fluid every 2 years is a must, bleeding all air is too. If there's still air in the system, the brakes will feel mushy and the pads might stay in permanent contact with the discs, which will cause both the pads and discs to overheat and glaze (had that on my XR, air was trapped in a passage in the caliper, keeping a little pressure on the pads). After that, they'll never brake like they should unless you sand them all down.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Replacing the pads with EBC HH (or similar) will make a significant improvement. Replacing the rubber brake lines with braided stainless steel lines will improve the feel of the brakes.
I agree in full here. I can't really speak to the stock setup but I bought my 2011 V650 with Galfer SS brake lines and HH sintered pads installed by the prior owner. They definitely bite as hard as I ever seem to need them to.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawarides View Post
Look like I'll need to work on it. Maybe bleed the system and replaced a pair of new brake pads first.
Thank you
THAT is what I suggest you do - REALLY improved my '08 when I did them last week!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinj View Post
Strange, I've tested the Yamaha MT07GT and MT09GT (both brand new demo bikes with about 300km on the clock), the Vstrom 650 (2000km demo bike) and the Versys650 (4000km demo bike) and found the Versys having the best brakes in both braking power and feel of the bunch. Even though "professional reviewers" say the yammies have the best brakes.

Maybe you were/are used to the bite of the Tripple's brakes, but the Versys' brakes will also put the bike on it's nose with only two fingers.

Or, there could be something else going on.
How long have you owned the bike?
Were the brakes serviced every two years? Changing fluid every 2 years is a must, bleeding all air is too. If there's still air in the system, the brakes will feel mushy and the pads might stay in permanent contact with the discs, which will cause both the pads and discs to overheat and glaze (had that on my XR, air was trapped in a passage in the caliper, keeping a little pressure on the pads). After that, they'll never brake like they should unless you sand them all down.
It's a pre owned unit that was close to 6 yrs of ownership by 2 different owners.
History of maintenance not sure and I will need to go thru all these you've advised.

Definitely feels like air trapped, will visit Kawasaki dealer and get it sorted out.
Thank you.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
I believe this will be good enough as I'm not looking for high speed braking like racer but only need it for last minute E-braking. Thank you

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
THAT is what I suggest you do - REALLY improved my '08 when I did them last week!
Good idea LOL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode