HID Headlight Intermittently Working/Acting Up - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By chid
  • 1 Post By Merlin3e9
  • 1 Post By Merlin3e9
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern Italy
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HID Headlight Intermittently Working/Acting Up

Evening everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted anything on the Versys Forum, but I still come on and lurk around a bit.

Well, my 08 Versys HID headlight has started acting up. Back around 2012.ish, I installed an HID headlight and up until recently it's worked flawlessly. Amazing light.

Here's what it's doing. I start the bike, HID light fires right up and begins it's warm up. After a few minutes, if I switch the high beam headlight bulb(stock) on or use the "Pass" trigger, the HID headlight shuts off. If I turn the bike off and start again, the HID headlight fires right up as normal.

Also, the HID headlight will go out during a ride, but as described above, if I turn the bike off and on again, the light fires up as normal.

Any thoughts? Is my ballast going out? Igniter going bad?

My stater, regulator and electrical system is stock and original.

Lastly, if I need to replace the HID system, any ideas on a good quality replacement? I can't remember where I bought the current system at. Anyone upgrade to LED?

Thanks
Jason
Merlin3e9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,187
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Evening everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted anything on the Versys Forum, but I still come on and lurk around a bit.

Well, my 08 Versys HID headlight has started acting up. Back around 2012.ish, I installed an HID headlight and up until recently it's worked flawlessly. Amazing light.

Here's what it's doing. I start the bike, HID light fires right up and begins it's warm up. After a few minutes, if I switch the high beam headlight bulb(stock) on or use the "Pass" trigger, the HID headlight shuts off. If I turn the bike off and start again, the HID headlight fires right up as normal.

Also, the HID headlight will go out during a ride, but as described above, if I turn the bike off and on again, the light fires up as normal.

Any thoughts? Is my ballast going out? Igniter going bad?

My stater, regulator and electrical system is stock and original.

Lastly, if I need to replace the HID system, any ideas on a good quality replacement? I can't remember where I bought the current system at. Anyone upgrade to LED?

Thanks
Jason
Does it stay on or cycle continuously? From a electrical standpoint, a common sign on high pressure sodium was cycling after a voltage dip or when warmed up, what happens is the resistance increases from heat, so once the arc is struck the current drops off and the voltage rises to maintain the arc. Same thing with MV or metal halide, the gases are used up, once the lamp lights, typically it will increase in brilliance but at full brilliance it will go off, cool down then re strike again.
So short answer, a dip in voltage by switching on another load cause the arc to extinguish , you need a new lamp, however I don't know what the ballast is as to construction, this is a DC to high voltage , typical ballast failure on AC HID ballasts was also a capacitor that filtered the AC ARC voltage, as it got weak, the arc would drop out, unfortunately for you, the only way to find out if the ballast is bad is to replace the lamp.
onewizard is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,039
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
check you ballast , then your light. I had the same problem and changed both the ballast and lamp.
Fastoman is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Member
 
chid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
the bulb is cheaper, get a new one and see if it works.
if not... change the ballast.
onewizard likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
chid is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern Italy
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, I ended up buying a new HID kit. We will see if this solves the problem. The cost wasn't much different and everything gets replaced. And, I could keep the old bulb as an emergency spare.
Fastoman likes this.
Merlin3e9 is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Member
 
chid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Well, I ended up buying a new HID kit. We will see if this solves the problem. The cost wasn't much different and everything gets replaced. And, I could keep the old bulb as an emergency spare.
or the ballast
how much did you pay for the kit? Is it a Chinese one?

Versys 2015 Green
chid is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern Italy
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
or the ballast
how much did you pay for the kit? Is it a Chinese one?
Yes, it's most likely made in China. The cost was $55 for everything. I know It's not the best quality, but the first HID kit is 8 yrs old, so I really can't complain to much.
Fastoman likes this.
Merlin3e9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome