• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By quexpress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Unlatching TPS Connector

Anyone know the trick to unlatching this sucker? I'm pressing on the tab facing outward and wiggling it but I can't get it to back off at all. I'm annoyed but also afraid to try too many things for fear of breaking it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
How To Forum

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ght=tps+sensor
See post 87, I have the adapter harness shown , but the plugs are identical . That connector baffled me for a while and I came close to damaging it. This time we got some photos.
quexpress likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ght=tps+sensor
See post 87, I have the adapter harness shown , but the plugs are identical . That connector baffled me for a while and I came close to damaging it. This time we got some photos.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1630519

Thanks @onewizard. Direct link above. Unfortunately, I've already been pushing on that very spot like crazy. Putting a dent in it in the process. Still can't wiggle it off. Trying to figure out if there is a safe spot to pry at the connector to help it clear the latch. Something will happen if I try long and hard enough. Good thing cycle terminal sells this connector in case I mess it up I guess: Yazaki SSD

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1630519

Thanks @onewizard. Direct link above. Unfortunately, I've already been pushing on that very spot like crazy. Putting a dent in it in the process. Still can't wiggle it off. Trying to figure out if there is a safe spot to pry at the connector to help it clear the latch. Something will happen if I try long and hard enough. Good thing cycle terminal sells this connector in case I mess it up I guess: Yazaki SSD
I kid you not, that red dot, exactly that red dot, about 1/16 inward, try pushing forward first as in putting it together, I shot the inside of that plug, any force in the direction of removal will make it almost impossible to remove, there is several seals in there which are exerting a force on the latch mechanism, by trying to join first should relieve tension and allow you to push it in. I would be embarrassed to post photos of my TPS plug, it has several places that look like mice got at it, yes looking at it you would expect a pivot point. I also looked at prying, gave more thought as to how to explain and used the nail polish I use on my chain link.
leftbrain99 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This is what a broken throttle body connector looks like.

I have bad arthritis in both hands and eventually broke one of these on my bike while doing valve adjustments last winter.

To succeed in unlatching the others, I used small needle nose vice grips to squeeze that tab.
I have attached it with small tie wraps but will be replacing it this winter.

Note: I purchased a used throttle body wire assembly from another bike (many connectors).

Good luck!
onewizard and leftbrain99 like this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all. I wanted to measure the sensor voltage readings while installing my new Yoshimura TRC-D slip-on today, but it hasn't been popping since blocking off the air inlet to the air switching valve (I used a marble). I'll try this connector again tomorrow using the "push and press" technique described above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
This is what a broken throttle body connector looks like.
Yeah, I already replaced one of those exact connectors myself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Smile Unlatching the connector & the wires from the plug

After reading this thread, I started thinking about these throttle connectors and searched the net.

The following video tells us to push in the connector before trying to remove it. This is exactly what Onewizard had explained above.

To remove the wire pins from the connectors, this video pointed me in the right direction:

In our throttle body connectors, each of the wire pins are retained by one plastic tab as shown in the following pic.

To free a wire pin, the plastic tab must be lifted away from the metal pin. I used the following tool.

This is what the connector looks like with the pins removed.

HTHS

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode