Stator Temperatures & Cooling - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stator Temperatures & Cooling

Stator death is a common issue with the stock shunt regulator, and even simply due to bad batteries. As shere are many threads about troubleshooting electrical issues to determine if the stator has failed, if the battery is bad, and also replacing the regulator to help prevent stator failure, that's not the focus here.

I'm curious about stator temperatures and cooling.

I have a few questions:

1. At what temperature do stock and/or aftermarket stators tend to fail?
1a. What kind of insulation do the stator windings use?

2. What is the best way to get an idea of stator temperature considering it cannot be measured directly?
Stator Cover?
Coolant Temp?
Oil Temp?
2a. What are some ways (and challenges) to setup these monitoring systems?

3. What is *your* (and ultimately a normal) estimated stator temperature (and/or proxy temperature that indicates approximate stator temperature) on average?
How has this been for your stator? (has it burned out at this range before?)
3a. At what temperature has your stator burned out?

4. What are ways to ensure good stator cooling? (other than using a series type regulator, and limiting electrical load - see other threads for details)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this helps, and this is a static measurement, but we used to roughly determine winding temperature from the change in resistance of the coil. Need to know the cold winding resistance, cold ambient temperature and temp coefficient of copper. Get winding up to temperature, them measure resistance and solve for temperature. Please note a that a four wire resistance measurement technique (or dedicated low ohm meter) will be needed to measure the low ohm coil resistance. Not very practical for real time measurements!

Temperature Coefficient of Resistance
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaiku View Post
...I have a few questions:

2. What is the best way to get an idea of stator temperature considering it cannot be measured directly?
Stator Cover?...
It seems that a GOOD way is to measure the temp at the stator cover w/ one of those remote-sensing thermometers, that you point, then squeeze a trigger.

Quote:
...I have a few questions:4. What are ways to ensure good stator cooling? (other than using a series type regulator, and limiting electrical load - see other threads for details)....
ALWAYS keep your oil-level FULL, as it's the oil that 'cools' the stator.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...I have a few questions:

Stator Cover?...
It seems that a GOOD way is to measure the temp at the stator cover w/ one of those remote-sensing thermometers, that you point, then squeeze a trigger.

Quote:
...I have a few questions:4. What are ways to ensure good stator cooling? (other than using a series type regulator, and limiting electrical load - see other threads for details)....
ALWAYS keep your oil-level FULL, as it's the oil that 'cools' the stator.

IF I remember correctly, someone posted a BIG difference in temp, just by changing to a series regulator (invader???).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloFrom2012Versys650 View Post
Not sure if this helps, and this is a static measurement, but we used to roughly determine winding temperature from the change in resistance of the coil. Need to know the cold winding resistance, cold ambient temperature and temp coefficient of copper. Get winding up to temperature, them measure resistance and solve for temperature. Please note a that a four wire resistance measurement technique (or dedicated low ohm meter) will be needed to measure the low ohm coil resistance. Not very practical for real time measurements!

Temperature Coefficient of Resistance
Finally someone besides myself that understands, the four wire or Kelvin leads, would be extremely difficult unless you made a male socket to match the 3 phase plug. I am going to copy some of my info. Doing that I am going to start a thread identical to this one, in members only.
I have far more detail here;https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1634263

Last edited by onewizard; 10-12-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode