Stator Replacement/ Delta / Burnt Stator - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By leftbrain99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Stator Replacement/ Delta / Burnt Stator

It looks like the stator on my 2011 V650 is going. It's already the second one on this bike - first one was replaced under warranty by the previous owner at 18,000 miles. I'm now just north of 40,000 miles. A month ago, I replaced the original regulator with a Polaris 941 series regulator using the Triumph harness with all wires butt-spliced into the factory harness (stator connector still in place). I tested the stator and was seeing right at 24V on all three phases at 2000 rpm, so I believed that it was ok. After the regulator was installed, I measured 14.3V charging at 5000 rpm.

A couple of weeks after the regulator swap, my battery started dying regularly. Did some tests after a jump start and the charging voltage was lower, but figured it might be that the battery was so low. Was leaving town and didn't have a lot of time to trickle charge a battery overnight, plus the battery was the original one from 2011 - wouldn't be a bad thing to get a fresh one, so I did. Came back after 5 days away and it started up fine. After a few days of regular riding, it started dying again. I pulled accessories off and charged up the battery and still had the same issues and eventually the bike got to a point where it couldn't keep itself running, let alone charge the battery.

I'm now seeing 18.5/18.0/15.5 VAC between windings with the stator connector removed from the regulator, which is low, as is the DC charging voltage. I'm not sure my Fluke meter measures low resistance accurate enough but I'm seeing around 1 ohm between windings (higher than spec, if accurate) but also about 1.2 ohm between each winding and ground, which should be open circuit. Was in a hurry to run these tests, but I'm thinking one or more of the stator windings are shorting to the side cover. The bike did go down on its left side back in February.

A new stator from ElectroSport is on its way. Also ordering a new side cover gasket. Any other items I might need, besides a torque wrench with in-lb settings? I think I can just use standard gasket sealant (Permatex) for the mating sufaces, right? EDIT: I ordered ThreeBond TB1211 Silicone Gasket since I think the Kawasaki Bond stuff is just a faster-drying form of this as it's identified as TB1211F but sells for 3x the price of TB1211.

Also, what's the easiest way to lean the bike over to the right to remove the left side cover and keep everything (including excess oil) in place - maybe carefully propping it up against a wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
A bit of advice; you will have difficulty in removing the side cover as the permanent magnet is pulling the stator lamination's inward, have a couple wooden wedges , Popsicle sticks, something to put in place in several locations that you don't get your finger pinched, in helping with 3 stator failures, never ever replaced the gasket, just use a silicone sealant around the rubber with the 3 phase wires. What I am saying is if you use a couple screw drivers and pry without caution chances are really good at damaging the gasket, I still have one hanging in my garage

Thanks for the suggestions on wedges. I did consider the difficulty in aligning the cover during reassembly and have some m6x80 threaded studs ready to help with sliding the cover back on. As for the gasket, since the stator cover has already been opened up once, and the gasket likely reused, I'll be interested to see how it looks and what they might have put on the mating surfaces. I have a new gasket just in case.

I have Loctite Blue 243, which is an "improved" variation of 242 with more oil resistance. It should still cure even if some oil residue is present, but I plan to clean up the stator coil mounting hardware and threads, anyway. But are you suggesting to torque all the the stator coil bolts to only 65% of what is recommended in the service manual or just the single bolt for the wire holding plate? Since the service manual instructs application of a non-permanent locking agent (which Loctite Blue 242/243 are), I would have thought the provided torque values are wet torque. Stripping threads inside the stator cover sucks, but so does a bolt inside the sealed up housing backing out and ruining another stator and also my flywheel, etc.

I plan on trying to get at this tonight as soon as the new stator arrives. It is delta-wound, but I will take pics and also pics of the old stator. And I really hope this puts my charging issues to rest.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-10-2019 at 06:10 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ElectroSport ESG638 Delta-wound Stator for Versys 650

More pics here: https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...p?albumid=2961

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I replaced the regulator on my '08 w/ a Polaris one, then a few weeks later had the stator FINALLY die, and then I replaced it too. I don't expect any more issues w/ either now.

Here's how I got it back home....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This could have gone better. Sure enough my concerns about the previous stator replacement have proven to be somewhat well-founded. When removing the bolt holding the mounting bracket for the wire, some threads from the aluminum cover came with it. Not sure if it was over-torqued or cross-threaded. I plan to try re-tapping it, but it's definitely not clean as-is. This is why I avoid letting anyone else work on my vehicles.

The ElectroSport stator has the same mounting depth as the OEM one, so no washer/spacers needed, but the clip holding the 3-phase lead wires to the stator is in a slightly different position that makes it difficult to get the wiring out to the hole in the cover without some coaxing. The wiring is also a little too long. The result is I'm having to work it in some strange angles to get everything fitted correctly. Maybe not a big deal, but I do wish it were a better fit out of the box. We'll see how it goes.

The gasket is also toast, so I'm glad I ordered a new one. The cover came off very easily, but the paper gasket is flaking away and I can't justify reusing it in this state. Speaking of toast, the stator is quite crispy as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Yes , this is the latest winding configuration, all the delta jumpers on the back, epoxy encapsulated , just curious what $ with shipping? This stator is one of only a few I recommend , RMstator is only recommended if you have a Polaris regulator installed, as it is a cheap China stator with Y connected stator, the lamination's are less so spacers are required on the mounting bolts and they cheat and use 18 gauge wire instead of 15 gauge, so less copper and less lamination's , yes it will output 330 watts for a short time until it burns up.
The ElectroSport stator was US $165.17 including California sales tax.

My biggest concern is the clip that holds the wire leads to the stator body - it's not as robust as the OEM one and also has no rubber sheath that might help prevent damage to the wire insulation on the nearby windings if there is contact from excessive vibration or maybe if the the bike goes down. But time will tell.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stator, slightly charred

It's burnt on 3 coils.

You can also see the condition of the gasket to some extent in this pic. A lot of it is stuck to the crankcase side, less to the cover, and a lot of little flakes coming off as well. I used a flat head screwdriver to gently remove the larger chunks and then a green Scotchbrite pad to get everything else off on both sides of the mating surface. That process worked very well.

MORE PICS HERE: https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...p?albumid=2967

onewizard likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Stator Replacement/ Delta / Burnt Stator

@leftbrain99
The How To Forum has a restriction of something like 20 post minimum limit for permission to post, it is also more difficult to access and not really meant as a discussion forum.

Anytime I move technical info for new members for discussion it is always in the Member Only forum, this is restricted to member's, anytime I am on late at night or even during the day, there are over 60 guest's, most of these are search engines, to be able to copy information from a site like this for free without any contribution just rubs me the wrong way.

So I was asked by the OP, why I moved the thread, it is for the above reason. So copied everything back, I have removed and edited my post's in the Technical, if you want to discuss my posts go to;
More detail in this thread;https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...placement.html

Last edited by onewizard; 10-10-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode