• 3 Post By DinkinFlicka
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By Ricki Ticki Tavi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Valve adustment gone bad....

I was almost to 17,000 miles and knew it was past time to check the valves. I had already done an air filter and spark plug change so dove right in to the valve adjustment. Everything was good, two intake valves were at .152 mm, on the edge, so picked up two spacers at 2.95 mm and installed them. Everything looked good so it was time to torque em down.... One of the bolts snapped and not in an easy to reach way, about where the threads start so it can't be easily gotten to. So now I'm trying to figure out how to get that thing out... those bolts are hard and that aluminum is soft so I'm gunna need some better bits and maybe some advice. Any ideas guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Ticki Tavi View Post
Everything looked good so it was time to torque em down.... One of the bolts snapped
Sorry to hear but this begs the question...what torque value were you using?

The book calls for 106 inch pounds for the cam cap bolts. Did you try and torque them to 106 foot pounds?

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I used 11 foot pounds... misread the book! That's 132 in lbs. I used 130 to be "safe" guess not.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well it took 2 days, some prayer, a lousy night's sleep, a lot of research, conversations with machine shops that either didn't want to do it or asked me to bring in the head.... In the end I used a center punch, drilled the bolt with a reverse cut bit and tried a couple size easy outs, but it came down to using a smaller bit and then a 1/8 inch reverse cutting cobalt drill bit. Whew!

Yeh, it could have worked out a lot worse. One thing that helped is that I took a piece of drip line hose (tubing) from my sprinkler system, wrapped masking tape around each drill bit and slid it into the tubing so that when I slid it into the cap and ran the bit down to the broken bolt that created a guide to keep the drill bit from moving around. Notice that the hole was right down the middle of the broken bolt. I watched several YouTube videos and came up with that solution to keep the drill straight. It also protected the much softer aluminum. (See the picture of my tools, one of the bits is still in the sleeve)

I used a 90 degree drill because there wasn't enough room for any other kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tools1.jpg (44.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg almost out.jpg (53.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg broken bolt.jpg (30.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg valves.jpg (70.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg hand.jpg (27.1 KB, 35 views)
chid and DinkinFlicka like this.

Last edited by Ricki Ticki Tavi; 10-09-2019 at 06:36 AM. Reason: More detail
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Nicely done! There is nothing quite like the feeling of finally backing out a broken out bolt.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Copy To How To / Valve Shim Thread

Quote:
Well it took 2 days, some prayer, a lousy night's sleep, a lot of research, conversations with machine shops that either didn't want to do it or asked me to bring in the head.... In the end I used a center punch, drilled the bolt with a reverse thread bit and tried a couple size easy outs, but it came down to using a smaller bit and then a 1/8 inch reverse cutting cobalt drill bit. Whew!
Man you are one lucky guy, I ask if you followed any threads on this forum, I ask because what happened has happened to others including damaging one of the cam caps, they are precision machined, fitted in the exhaust and intake locations, not to be swapped, one member cracked one, not easily replaced. That has been stressed in both my valve shim threads and Fasteddie threads. Your post may help others.
Ricki Ticki Tavi likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-08-2019 at 11:11 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Valve adjust gone wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Man you are one lucky guy, I ask if you followed any threads on this forum, I ask because what happened has happened to others including damaging one of the cam caps, they are precision machined, fitted in the exhaust and intake locations, not to be swapped, one member cracked one, not easily replaced. That has been stressed in both my valve shim threads and Fasteddie threads. Your post may help others.
Yeh, it could have worked out a lot worse. One thing that helped is that I took a piece of drip line hose (tubing) from my sprinkler system, wrapped masking tape around each drill bit and slid it into the tubing so that when I slid it into the cap and ran the bit down to the broken bolt that created a guide to keep the drill bit from moving around. Notice that the hole was right down the middle of the broken bolt. I watched several YouTube videos and came up with that solution to keep the drill straight. It also protected the much softer aluminum. (See the picture of my tools, one of the bits is still in the sleeve) Glad it worked out..... If you think my solution is helpful, you are free to use it.

Edit: I used a 90 degree drill because there wasn't enough room for any other kind.

Last edited by Ricki Ticki Tavi; 10-08-2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: More detail
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I used 11 foot pounds... misread the book! That's 132 in lbs. I used 130 to be "safe" guess not.
Not trying to be a douche but when you convert 106 inch pounds to foot pounds here is the result: 8.833333 ft-lb. Doing the math this results in a torque value of 26 inch pounds over torque on the bolt.

Combine this with possible torque errors with the foot pound scale torque wrench when using a value that low on the setting, could explain why the bolt snapped.

i would get a wrench calibrated in inch pounds before you try again.

Good luck.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 10-09-2019 at 10:52 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bad calc not so much Alfred E. Newman eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Not trying to be a douche but when you convert 106 inch pounds to foot pounds here is the result: 8.833333 ft-lb. Doing the math this results in a torque value of 26 inch pounds over torque on the bolt.

Combine this with possible torque errors with the torque wrench when using a value that low on the setting, could explain why the bolt snapped.

i would get a wrench calibrated in inch pounds before you try again.

Good luck.
No offense taken. What happened was that on the page (page 28 of the manual) of the torque values the torque of the caps (106 in lbs) was below the torque of the camshaft sprocket bolt (11 ft lbs). I read the wrong line and converted from ft lbs to in lbs. It was a reading error. I used a smaller torque wrench that's why I converted to 132 in lbs.
onewizard and hawkerjet like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode