Went to swap out the exhaust pipe.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By arknt
  • 1 Post By jpd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Went to swap out the exhaust pipe..

So I'm swapping out the exhaust pipe on my '09 V (snapped clean off at the muffler), and this is how the nut's came off (see pic). I'm pretty sure these are studs [92004-0025], but whats to stop me from running to my local hardware store and buying a few matching bolts and cranking them on there instead?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191005_181848.jpg (42.9 KB, 53 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:44 PM

I would want to use the proper grade, especially for a high heat application like exhaust. You may be able to get the proper grade locally but the run of the mill hardware would most likely give you real trouble removing them in the future.

ARKNT
Fastoman likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arknt View Post
I would want to use the proper grade...

ARKNT
Good point. What if I use these old "bolts" temporarily until the new set come in?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konvers View Post
Good point. What if I use these old "bolts" temporarily until the new set come in?
As long as you can torque to specification and NO apparent exhaust gas leak.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
there isnt one...... if i was you id hit them with a wire brush to knock the rust off, heat them then dunk them in my WD-40 tank (best $20 ever spent lol) maybe try to remove the nuts from them if you have a couple extra nuts that are the right size if not just leave the nuts on as is . put your new exhaust on with new exhaust gaskets and like the kids say now days.....send it.

my 1972 rv90 still have 99% of its stock hardware and its been fully town down a few times

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
there isnt one......
What do you mean there isn't one?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
What do you mean there isn't one?
sorry i think that was a case of my dyslexia / tiredness / Who the F*ck Knows kicking in and for some reason i read it as what is keeping me from reusing these....idk

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 AM

Garage
originally the holes for the studs were a tight fit, requiring a wrench to install. every time the studs go in & out you lose a little bit of metal out of the holes. on aircraft engines they make oversize studs where the cylinder side is slightly fatter. I don't recall seeing that option on motorcycle engines though. best thing is to set the studs at the allowable top torque, with a thread locker and use anti-seize on the nuts. if you want to go with bolts on a permanent basis its best to helicoil the holes.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
originally the holes for the studs were a tight fit, requiring a wrench to install...
Yeah, it was real tight getting these suckers out. I've ordered a set of replacement studs and nuts. I'm really not sure how I'll set those studs back in there. I suppose I can use a fresh nut on the other end and crank it on, then attempt to take the nut off and leave the stud... somehow.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
With the pipes off, 2 nuts on the end of the stud tightened against each other and then just screw the stud in. Hold the back nut and remove the front nut, then the back nut. If the nuts are not self locking they should just spin on to that side of the stud. Most times the case side is a course thread and the nut side is a fine thread. Yours look like they are the same thread. I would use silviefox's wd-40 recommendation and get new nuts tighten 2 on the case side of the studs and put that end in a vice to takeoff the rusted nuts and see what you got. It is not uncommon for the studs to come out when you take off exhaust nuts, or intake manifold nuts. Out in the air and exposed to the exhaust heat they rust quickly.
silviefox likes this.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bolts, exhaust, header pipe, nuts, rust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode