Bike starting issues.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike starting issues..

So my bike (2015 650) won't start easily. The engine turns over when i press the ignition button. Excuse my lack of knowledge of technical terms, but when I turn the key and the dash lights up, I then turn the kill switch to on, and there's usually a slight whirring sound after I turn the kill switch on. Whenever this sound happens, the bike starts just fine. But sometimes when I turn the key and press the kill switch to on, there's no whirring sound and the bike turns over but wont start. If you have experienced this or you know what the problem, I'd really appreciate it before I go around replacing spark plugs and batteries and what not. I did charge the battery and it started quickly afterwards so I think the battery might be fine. not sure about spark plugs, havent checked them (dont know how to). Is there anything else that could cause ignition problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:43 AM

The whirring sound is the fuel pump. Have you tried switching the kill switch on and off with the key on? Might be a faulty switch or bad connection. Definitely sounds electrical in nature.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Kill Switch ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon snow View Post
So my bike (2015 650) won't start easily. The engine turns over when i press the ignition button. Excuse my lack of knowledge of technical terms, but when I turn the key and the dash lights up, I then turn the kill switch to on, and there's usually a slight whirring sound after I turn the kill switch on. Whenever this sound happens, the bike starts just fine. But sometimes when I turn the key and press the kill switch to on, there's no whirring sound and the bike turns over but wont start. If you have experienced this or you know what the problem, I'd really appreciate it before I go around replacing spark plugs and batteries and what not. I did charge the battery and it started quickly afterwards so I think the battery might be fine. not sure about spark plugs, havent checked them (dont know how to). Is there anything else that could cause ignition problems?
Why on earth are you using the kill switch, FYI every time a contact is open, it is exposed to air / oxidation.

I am going to suggest something which very few know , even electricians. A common problem with new technology is many devices use milli or micro amp for electrical interlocking, when I say a problem, you need roughly 1 or more amps to blow away oxide.
I am going to suggest that once you have the bike started, very gradually move the kill switch to off, what I am trying to accomplish is create a arc, so ideally, the contact just barley opening. You may need to repeat this several times. Next close your kill switch and only use it for emergencies . Normal key on process the ECU is checking sensors, gear selector / kick stand / fuel pressure. Having the kill switch open indicates a fault, closing it even 3 seconds after keying on you are asking the ECU to do another scan, does this make sense ? Remember the kill switch interrupts the stick coils, fuel pump, it is meant as a emergency shut down same as the tip over switch.
Report back, being a 2015 I can't see a key switch problem but it can happen. If so one of us can guide you for testing, which requires a digital volt meter. FYI, several methods of quick shut down are possible, the one I use when I get home is to put the kick stand down while in first gear, my driveway is sloped and the instant the kickstand is down the motor stops, I then take my gloves off and key off,two things just happen, #1 I have proved my stand and switch are working properly, on the 2015 I notice the stand spring is much weaker than the 07 Versys, not always does the stand retract fully. #2 with the stand down and clutch out, my bike doesn't roll backward. When I get off and have all my gear off, I put it in neutral and push it into the garage.
Hope this helps.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Sir, I think you might be right. This morning I tried starting the bike again twice, before and after breakfast. I had left the kill switch on last night and it started right up, no issues. The fuel pump came on and it started right up both times. Then I had the bright idea of testing the kill switch so instead of using the ignition, I turned it off using the kill switch and it wouldn't start up again. Same issue, the dash would light up and the electrical components would work, the engine would turn over but the fuel pump wouldn't turn on and the bike wouldn't start. I've left the kill switch closed again and put the battery on a tender to give it more juice and I'll try again in the evening.
I thought the kill switch was the required way to turn your motorcycle off, courtesy of my safety motorcycle course.
Should I clean the kill switch circuit contacts? I'll try your method of slowing closing it a couple of times and see if that works.

Last edited by jon snow; 10-05-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

So I tried starting the bike again. Kill switch always closed, side stand up/down. The fuel pump turns on randomly. Sometimes when I turn the key, it turns on right away. other times it doesn't and I have to turn the ignition on and off multiple times before it decides to kick in. when it does, the bike starts normally. I'll go buy a voltmeter tomorrow but i have no clue how to test the fuel pump electrical system. I read the service manual and saw the wiring diagram but that may as well have been in Chinese. i guess i need to take my time and figure it out but any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Electrical 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon snow View Post
So I tried starting the bike again. Kill switch always closed, side stand up/down. The fuel pump turns on randomly. Sometimes when I turn the key, it turns on right away. other times it doesn't and I have to turn the ignition on and off multiple times before it decides to kick in. when it does, the bike starts normally. I'll go buy a voltmeter tomorrow but i have no clue how to test the fuel pump electrical system. I read the service manual and saw the wiring diagram but that may as well have been in Chinese. i guess i need to take my time and figure it out but any help will be greatly appreciated.
When you get a meter, Home Depot sells one that can measure Klein mm400. Here is a post that involved a good meter https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...=digital+meter see post 67

Once you have the meter you may need to take the gas tank off, is this bike still under warranty?
I will come up with some tests, to determine if it is the key switch; the ECU relay; the ECU;the fuel pump relay.

Do you have the accessory relay installed? Simple test if you do have the accessory relay, keying on with no fuel pump, does the accessories power up ?

No relay you need to remove the front plastic below the wind screen, two push pins and two screws. The push pins you push the center in about 3/16 of a inch , then use your fingernail to pull out.

The owners manual shows the accessory wiring, you are going to connect your positive lead to the brown with white tracer, this is positive 12 volts and comes from the 10 amp ignition fuse #5. Also you may need to look at service manual 16-66 pin 15 of the wire harness to the meter unit, this is to be 12 VDC when keyed on.
After you post we go from there . To reach the key switch wire harness connector or testing the relay box, both involve removing the gas tank. Right now it would appear you have a defective key switch. I would strongly recommend checking your ECU ground and frame ground that is on the foot brake side of the bike, the ECU is hidden under the seat / gas tank mounting bracket ( you need to remove it for access), my 2015 from new had a corroded connection on the frame ground, use a scotch brite pad and good dielectric grease, with the front plastic off you will find more frame grounds, one on each side of the inside front.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-06-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode