Adding a single, two in one unit, USB charger and battery meter - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Adding a single, two in one unit, USB charger and battery meter

This unit has an on/off switch, would it be fine to run this directly from the battery or should I pull power elsewhere? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
This unit has an on/off switch, would it be fine to run this directly from the battery or should I pull power elsewhere?
The common wisdom is to run it from the aux. circuit which shuts down with the key off. But you know what, thats not a bad idea,direct with an on-off switch. Also with the switch you could shut it down if you were worried about heavy rain.I go camping and I wouldnt mind using it while Im parked,do some personal device battery charging. I put in a secondary socket plug elsewhere on the bike for key-off 12 volt. Not sure of the rating,QC 30.Usually 1 amp or 2 amp is written to avoid too much heat for some devices,something specified on each device. Wonder what Onewizard would say?
HoosierFordMan likes this.

Last edited by jaaklucas; 10-03-2019 at 02:35 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Wiring recommendation

Quote:
This unit has an on/off switch, would it be fine to run this directly from the battery or should I pull power elsewhere? Thanks

Wiring recommendation, Even though there is a off switch, I would recommend using a keyed source , two options. If you have the auxiliary relay, use that as a source, if you don't , use the city lights, I recommend converting to Philips LED , as the city lights are 5 watt, the LEDs are 1 Watt. The difference in wattage between the OEM city lights and Philips is more than your 3.0 USB will ever draw, and I provided the link because that is 3 amp not a 30 .Forgetting to turn the switch off will likely leave you with a dead battery after 3 days, also if it doesn't kill it completely, depleting the battery to less than 70% amp hour charge will cause high current charging at the beginning of the start cycle, AGM batteries are pretty robust, however this will shorten the life of the battery.

Secondly I am not a fan of digital readouts and definitely don't recommend them if you convert to a series regulator, very distracting and you need to process the value. All recommended voltage monitors are led colour changing , led bar graph or LED display like what I call little voltmeter. Day or night, out of the corner of my eye I know all is good.
https://www.amazon.ca/Charger-SunnyT...73088611&psc=1

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2019 at 05:04 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Wiring recommendation, Even though there is a off switch, I would recommend using a keyed source , two options. If you have the auxiliary relay, use that as a source, if you don't , use the city lights, I recommend converting to Philips LED , as the city lights are 5 watt, the LEDs are 1 Watt. The difference in wattage between the OEM city lights and Philips is more than your 3.0 USB will ever draw, and I provided the link because that is 3 amp not a 30 .Forgetting to turn the switch off will likely leave you with a dead battery after 3 days, also if it doesn't kill it completely, depleting the battery to less than 70% amp hour charge will cause high current charging at the beginning of the start cycle, AGM batteries are pretty robust, however this will shorten the life of the battery.

Secondly I am not a fan of digital readouts and definitely don't recommend them if you convert to a series regulator, very distracting and you need to process the value. All recommended voltage monitors are led colour changing , led bar graph or LED display like what I call little voltmeter. Day or night, out of the corner of my eye I know all is good.
https://www.amazon.ca/Charger-SunnyT...73088611&psc=1

Onewizard, thank you for the recommendation. I do like the idea of coming off a relay. Can you give me an idea of where to find it?

I also do like the idea of coming from the battery to have charging available when the bike is off too...decisions decisions.

Thanks to all you guys

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Year Of Bike

Quote:
Onewizard, thank you for the recommendation. I do like the idea of coming off a relay. Can you give me an idea of where to find it?

I also do like the idea of coming from the battery to have charging available when the bike is off too...decisions decisions.

Thanks to all you guys

I need the year of your bike. Both easily done, once I know I will post in this thread. I have a 30 amp fused outlet specifically for running my compressor if I get a flat, it is located less than 12 inches from the battery, waterproof outlet.
HoosierFordMan likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I need the year of your bike. Both easily done, once I know I will post in this thread. I have a 30 amp fused outlet specifically for running my compressor if I get a flat, it is located less than 12 inches from the battery, waterproof outlet.

Of course. I forgot to put it in the original post. 2015, 650. Thanks again

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

2015 650 abs

Quote:
Of course. I forgot to put it in the original post. 2015, 650. Thanks again

Same as my bike.
Will start with photos, add text tomorrow.

Live all the time outlet

I have it wire tied in place using a X pattern , this photo gives a better idea of location, just below and left of seat key release

relays I am using for everything except the Aux. relay.

This is a generic , OEM is Omron

City lights

And this following photo is almost useless to you, to the right of relays #1 & #2 is the Aux relay, bullet connectors are in the front right and are explained in the owners manual that came with the bike. The relays 1&2 were for my bark-buster signal and running lights, with the new bark-buster lights I don't need those relays. also have a 3 wire adjustable flasher, as I have LED signal lights.

one of many fuses, I know a fuse block would be better but I have roughly 15 of these, may start selling them for a couple bucks

I think I have 4 aux. fuse blocks in this area and about 4 more up front. I fuse everything

wire routing, used some heat shrink

And this is what it looks like taking my seat off,too much that could be damaged from water, I don't purposely start out in rain but have been in torrential downpour on the 401 doing 120 KM/HR ++, it happens.

And everything needed here

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...5-earlier.html

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2019 at 07:30 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I can personally recommend this monitor:

Head's Up? Voltage Monitor - Signal Dynamics

and here's what it looks like once mounted in a 1/4" hole.

IMG_0589 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0590 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and here w/ the light illuminated.

IMG_0591 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, I followed your advice OneWizard. Got a waterproof relay installed today and installed the outlet. Itís working perfectly. Switches on with accessory power. Also have the daylight LEDís on the way to offset the current draw from the charger. Thanks for that info!

Iím wondering if itís possible to add an LED high beam, or replacing both headlights with LEDís? Thoughts?

Thanks again all

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, I followed your advice OneWizard. Got a waterproof relay installed today and installed the outlet. It’s working perfectly. Switches on with accessory power. Also have the daylight LED’s on the way to offset the current draw from the charger. Thanks for that info!

I’m wondering if it’s possible to add an LED high beam, or replacing both headlights with LED’s? Thoughts?

Thanks again all

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...=led+headlight
See post 102 and 124, post 132 & 135 tells it all, post 137
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode