Oh you gotta be kidding me - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hux83 View Post
Well, just got the bike back from the dealer. Service guy was adamant that the oil looked like normal in the sight glass (they didnít even drain it) and that all I might have seen is some aeration of the oil. He also maintained that the coolant was at a normal level.

How did the oil look through the site glass today? Like I said you can always send some oil out for analysis. Labstone sends the kits for free .

www.blackstone-labs.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
When I looked at it in their parking lot, it looked the same as it had in the pics I posted.
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:18 PM

Not to defend the dealer, but my oil looked similar when the bike was new for the first 100 or so miles, and I suspected condensation as it kinda looked frothy. The first hot day came along and after the ride the oil looked normal. I changed the oil to synthetic at 600 miles and haven't noticed it ever again.

For piece of mind, it doesn't hurt to send off a sample to analyze though!
onewizard likes this.

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, just got the bike back from the dealer. Service guy was adamant that the oil looked like normal in the sight glass (they didnít even drain it) and that all I might have seen is some aeration of the oil. He also maintained that the coolant was at a normal level.
Maybe they are right on aeration , but you keep an eye on the bike temp.
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My issue with the aeration theory is it shouldnít have stayed like that after sitting overnight.
16VGTIDave and funflyingguy like this.
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
My issue with the aeration theory is it shouldnít have stayed like that after sitting overnight.
It will very much depend on what your overnight temp was and temperature is a measure of average molecular activity of oil.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
It will very much depend on what your overnight temp was and temperature is a measure of average molecular activity of oil.
Highs have been high 80s-low 90s, lows in the high 60s-70. The look has not changed since I discovered it almost a week ago.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Mine changed back to black within a few minutes. (maybe 1/2 hour)
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have run into the black ice in the shade riding AZ 191 just N of the Morency Mine, in Jan or Feb. I have a "Thermobob" in my AZ V650, and in my BC '15 V650.

GREAT addition - your engine gets to temp quicker, then maintains the temp w/out major fluctuations.

You can read MORE about it here:

Welcome
i've never heard of this. as a nor cal rider who see's plenty of winter commuting in the high twenties and thirties i'm imagining this is a good idea for me. yes?

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
douche baggery
Hux83 likes this.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hard to tell from that picture, but it doesn't look bad to me.

If in doubt, get it good and warm (ride it 25 miles) and then drain the oil overnight. See what the oil looks like in a clean drain pan.

I don't know what brand of oil you're using, but maybe try a different brand. Some brands look lighter or darker in the sight glass.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post
Mine changed back to black within a few minutes. (maybe 1/2 hour)
Within a few min of what, changing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Hard to tell from that picture, but it doesn't look bad to me.

If in doubt, get it good and warm (ride it 25 miles) and then drain the oil overnight. See what the oil looks like in a clean drain pan.

I don't know what brand of oil you're using, but maybe try a different brand. Some brands look lighter or darker in the sight glass.
I drained it yesterday morning, left it sitting to see what might trickle out. While it looked more tannish and greenish in the sight glass, it came out black and opaque, like you might expect from oil with considerably more miles on it. Oil used at that first oil change was Kawasaki 10/40 4 stroke oil. But the problem isn’t just the look of that oil. The volume rose considerably at some point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2040.jpg (14.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2041.jpg (14.1 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Hux83; 10-08-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
i've never heard of this. as a nor cal rider who see's plenty of winter commuting in the high twenties and thirties i'm imagining this is a good idea for me. yes?
Well, I don't know where you find a LOT of commuting in the high twenties and thirties (degrees F) in NorCal, except in the Sierras, but I am here in SF and installed a ThermoBob on my 2011 V650 just for the consistent engine operating temperature aspect. I have no other vehicle and I ride year-round but don't think I even see anything below high forties. I'd have to drive several hours to get anywhere that sees below 40 degrees F in the winter regularly.
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Within a few min of what, changing it?

I drained it yesterday morning, left it sitting to see what might trickle out. While it looked more tannish and greenish in the sight glass, it came out black and opaque, like you might expect from oil with considerably more miles on it. Oil used at that first oil change was Kawasaki 10/40 4 stroke oil. But the problem isnít just the look of that oil. The volume rose considerably at some point.

That looks normal.

post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, something is definitely wrong. So new oil went in yesterday, but I was pressed for time so I didnít even crank the bike over after. Start it up just now to let it run a minute and circulate the oil with plans to ride it to work. Within a minute I had white smoke, not a ton but still, on the left side and the oil had gone from the straw honey color to an opaque tan.
funflyingguy likes this.
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, something is definitely wrong. So new oil went in yesterday, but I was pressed for time so I didnít even crank the bike over after. Start it up just now to let it run a minute and circulate the oil with plans to ride it to work. Within a minute I had white smoke, not a ton but still, on the left side and the oil had gone from the straw honey color to an opaque tan.
send some oil into blackstone you should have your results in about a week . And if it shows anything wrong take the results to your dealer.It will give you peace of mind and its not that expensive.
funflyingguy likes this.
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Blackstone test kit has already been ordered. Called the dealer trying to get the owner (heís actually who sold me the bike) but heís not in today. Waiting on a call back from the GM, see if they can make this right.
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Blackstone test kit has already been ordered. Called the dealer trying to get the owner (heís actually who sold me the bike) but heís not in today. Waiting on a call back from the GM, see if they can make this right.
If they want you to bring it back in to the shop drain a little oil out of the bike before you do so you can send a sample in. Just look at blackstone's web site to figure out the correct way. You can always save a oil sample in a clean container till your kit comes in.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:54 PM

OK, the white smoke could be that the crankcase is over-full and when that happens, oil will migrate into the intake and get burned and make that white smoke.

Going from straw honey color to an opaque tan means that it simply mixed with the old oil that was still in the crankcase (you can never get all of the oil out of there unless you tear it down).

Last edited by kballowe; 10-09-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
If they want you to bring it back in to the shop drain a little oil out of the bike before you do so you can send a sample in. Just look at blackstone's web site to figure out the correct way. You can always save a oil sample in a clean container till your kit comes in.
I saved some of the oil I drained out two days ago just for this purpose.
turn8a likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in