squealing sound after new brake pads - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
PCX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
squealing sound after new brake pads

I replaced my front stock brake pads with new EBC 142 HH on my 2015 V650 ABS model. On my test ride, starting at about 15mph I could hear a squealing (keeeeee) sound from the front. The sound seems to stay constant once it starts and it goes away below 15mph. After about 15 min ride with brakes used sparingly the front rotors were quite warm compared to the rear ones. Looks like the new pads make some contact with rotor even when the brake is not applied. If I spin the front wheel by hand i could hear it swoosh. Could that be causing the sound?

I had also replaced the front tire recently, could something have gone wrong there to cause this? Appreciate any ideas you might have.
PCX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: mid Flowriduh
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
I replaced my front stock brake pads with new EBC 142 HH on my 2015 V650 ABS model. On my test ride, starting at about 15mph I could hear a squealing (keeeeee) sound from the front. The sound seems to stay constant once it starts and it goes away below 15mph. After about 15 min ride with brakes used sparingly the front rotors were quite warm compared to the rear ones. Looks like the new pads make some contact with rotor even when the brake is not applied. If I spin the front wheel by hand i could hear it swoosh. Could that be causing the sound?

I had also replaced the front tire recently, could something have gone wrong there to cause this? Appreciate any ideas you might have.
There was/is a hit or miss issue with some part numbers of EBC pads. The coating was sometimes too thick in the holes that slide on the mounting posts, causing them to hang up. Something worth checking out, and it is free.
quexpress likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And most of Canada too, eh?
SteveJ is online now  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
PCX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
There was/is a hit or miss issue with some part numbers of EBC pads. The coating was sometimes too thick in the holes that slide on the mounting posts, causing them to hang up. Something worth checking out, and it is free.
I do see that the pad that is supposed to stationary (the one not next to the pistons) is way more free moving than the original pads. Is it okay to sand the coating to make it fit the tab? Do I need to put any grease between the pad and the wall of the caliper to make it less noisy?
PCX is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:29 AM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
I do see that the pad that is supposed to stationary (the one not next to the pistons) is way more free moving than the original pads. Is it okay to sand the coating to make it fit the tab? Do I need to put any grease between the pad and the wall of the caliper to make it less noisy?
Steve is correct, make sure nothing on the pad is hanging up on the caliper body or pins.

As for grease the following video will give you some some important guidance.

Good luck.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
PCX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Constant squealing with EBC HH sintered pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Steve is correct, make sure nothing on the pad is hanging up on the caliper body or pins.

As for grease the following video will give you some some important guidance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xITumgvvS4

Good luck.
I tried reinstalling and followed proper greasing procedure on the back of the pads. I am quite sure there is nothing wrong in the installation itself. But the constant keeeeeeee sound is always there above 15mph. If I put back the old pads the sounds goes away. I went to the dealership to get the OEM pads and happened to speak to the service department there. The mechanic said the EBCs are high friction and they do produce such sound compared to OEM. Is this a known issues with EBCs then, should I just ignore it or try OEMs?
PCX is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,679
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
...Is this a known issues with EBCs then, should I just ignore it or try OEMs?...
I have EBC HH pads on both my V650s and I've not noticed a sound like you describe.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
PCX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have EBC HH pads on both my V650s and I've not noticed a sound like you describe.
I am thinking I will give it 2 weeks (about 800 miles of riding) and see if the sound goes away, if not I think I will switch to OEM.
PCX is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
I tried reinstalling and followed proper greasing procedure on the back of the pads. I am quite sure there is nothing wrong in the installation itself. But the constant keeeeeeee sound is always there above 15mph. If I put back the old pads the sounds goes away. I went to the dealership to get the OEM pads and happened to speak to the service department there. The mechanic said the EBCs are high friction and they do produce such sound compared to OEM. Is this a known issues with EBCs then, should I just ignore it or try OEMs?
I have the same bike (2015) as yours and am using the same brake pads with zero noise. Are you sure the floating portion of the caliper is able to smoothly move in and out on the pins? If not this could cause your trouble. The pins are the most important item for you to grease.

Also is your front brake reservoir serviced properly? Can you see the top of the fluid in the sight glass? If it is too full (over serviced) it could potentially cause your pucks and pads to not fully retract when you release the brake lever. This would cause the pads to drag on the rotors making the sound you describe.
PCX likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: mid Flowriduh
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Were the pads bedded in?

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And most of Canada too, eh?
SteveJ is online now  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
PCX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Were the pads bedded in?
Since I don't know what bedded-in means, very unlikely I did that. What does it involve? After putting the pads on I test drove for 15 mins and the noise was always there (even without braking)
PCX is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
PCX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I have the same bike (2015) as yours and am using the same brake pads with zero noise. Are you sure the floating portion of the caliper is able to smoothly move in and out on the pins? If not this could cause your trouble. The pins are the most important item for you to grease.

Also is your front brake reservoir serviced properly? Can you see the top of the fluid in the sight glass? If it is too full (over serviced) it could potentially cause your pucks and pads to not fully retract when you release the brake lever. This would cause the pads to drag on the rotors making the sound you describe.

Yes, I had used silicone grease on the pin and the pads slide over them easily.

I have not serviced the brake reservoir in a long time. But I can see the top of the fluid in the sight glass. It does look like pads could be dragging on the rotors. I probably should service the brake fluid and the perhaps keep the level the fluid level on the lower side.
PCX is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,679
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Since I don't know what bedded-in means, very unlikely I did that. What does it involve? After putting the pads on I test drove for 15 mins and the noise was always there (even without braking)
Have a look at this:
https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/motorcycle-bed-in/
PCX likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
PCX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Thanks for the link. Now that i understand what bedding means, I can answer Seteve's question: No, the pads are not bedded, yet. I just have about 80 miles on them and most of them are freeway miles. It will be several weeks before they bed-in. Are noises like these expected during the initial bed-in miles?

Last edited by PCX; 10-03-2019 at 02:34 PM.
PCX is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 04:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: mid Flowriduh
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Yes, I had used silicone grease on the pin and the pads slide over them easily.

I have not serviced the brake reservoir in a long time. But I can see the top of the fluid in the sight glass. It does look like pads could be dragging on the rotors. I probably should service the brake fluid and the perhaps keep the level the fluid level on the lower side.
If it's been two years(or more? ) since purging the brake fluid, it is time to do it. The act of squeezing the pistons in to make room for the new pads may have dislodged a piece of "gack" and it became lodged in the really, really small return hole in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir causing the pads/pistons to hang up and not disengage fully.

Hopefully your system isn't loaded up with gack, it can be tough to get it all. I would say at a minimum you would be looking at disassembling and cleaning/rebuilding the master cylinder to be sure that there isn't any more of it hidden. and maybe cleaning the lines and rebuilding the calipers.

Brakes are kind of important in the overall scheme of things, you want to make sure that they are right.
PCX likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And most of Canada too, eh?
SteveJ is online now  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
PCX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
If it's been two years(or more? ) since purging the brake fluid, it is time to do it. The act of squeezing the pistons in to make room for the new pads may have dislodged a piece of "gack" and it became lodged in the really, really small return hole in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir causing the pads/pistons to hang up and not disengage fully.

Hopefully your system isn't loaded up with gack, it can be tough to get it all. I would say at a minimum you would be looking at disassembling and cleaning/rebuilding the master cylinder to be sure that there isn't any more of it hidden. and maybe cleaning the lines and rebuilding the calipers.

Brakes are kind of important in the overall scheme of things, you want to make sure that they are right.
Ohh boy, I am really worried now! I will first service the brake fluid first and see if it helps.
PCX is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: mid Flowriduh
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Ohh boy, I am really worried now! I will first service the brake fluid first and see if it helps.
Purging brake fluid is a bit more involved with ABS, IIRC. You'll either want to take it to a shop that has the equipment to run the ABS pump or bleed them out and go on a dirt road or snow and activate the ABS, i.e. jam on the brakes, one at a time, then bleed again. Use caution with the front but it should be OK assuming everything is functional.

I haven't heard of any ABS issues on a Versys but there have been some reports of brake failure(as in the brakes do not work, on the 1400 Concours. The ABS pump gets corroded from the old fluid not being removed. It did happen to friend of mine that was/is notorious for not doing preventative maintenance. He had owned the bike for about six years, never having bled the brake or clutch system. He rear ended the car in front of him, thankfully just some nasty bruises as he was wearing his gear. Ironically, he was on his way to trade the bike for a Harley.

Good luck. Skol.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And most of Canada too, eh?
SteveJ is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome