• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
First tire replacement on my 2015 650

For a guy that rides on the street but WOULD do a little light off roading with the right tires, what would y’all recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:34 PM

My 650 has had Shinko 805 on rear and 705 on front since I bought it used. So far, no complaints. The Shinko's get pretty good reviews and are about 1/2 price of brand C. I don't know why the previous owner picked this combo, the 705 is rated to be about an 80/20 tire, the 805 more 60/40. I don't have a basis for comparison but this combo seems to be working well for me - about 10% of my riding is on dirt/gravel, the rest pavement.
Fastoman and HoosierFordMan like this.

-dm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
My 650 has had Shinko 805 on rear and 705 on front since I bought it used. So far, no complaints. The Shinko's get pretty good reviews and are about 1/2 price of brand C. I don't know why the previous owner picked this combo, the 705 is rated to be about an 80/20 tire, the 805 more 60/40. I don't have a basis for comparison but this combo seems to be working well for me - about 10% of my riding is on dirt/gravel, the rest pavement.

I’d been eyeing some Shinko’s. Thanks for your input. Ride safe, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fastoman likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I love Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires. I'm on my second set. They are excellent on pavement and very good on dirt. Much better than the stock tires by far.

I took a weekend adventure riding class a few summers ago. The main instructor had them on his big BMW 1200. They are good tires unless you are in mud, deep sand or deep gravel. For those you'll want knobbies.

For basic dirt roads and easy trails they are excellent.
HoosierFordMan likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
I’d been eyeing some Shinko’s. Thanks for your input. Ride safe, man....
I have run the SHINKO E705 tires (120/70 x 17 front on my Gen 3// a 130/80 x 17 [rear] on my Gen 1 front), and 150/70 x 17 rears on BOTH bikes for several tire changes.

AND I have run mixed-sets of radial/bias w/ NO issues.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
There is no magic unicorn tire that will provide both great pavement performance and decent dirt performance. It's all a compromise between traction/feel on hard surfaces and traction on loose dirt, sandy and muddy surfaces.

In my experience, the difference between Sport Tour tires and 90/10 Adventure tires like the Pirelli Scorpion is they are a Sport Tour radial carcass with deeper tread lugs and gaps. You get great on the road performance, as good as most sport tour tires, but only slight improvements on dirt roads and no benefit in sand and mud. When you go to a more aggressive tire like a 50/50 you get good traction and durability off road with an off-road bias-ply carcass and off-road grip but compromised pavement performance. The Pirelli MT 60 (a supermoto tire) attempts to do both, no personal experience with them, but compromises longevity with a softer rubber compound.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-27-2019 at 10:26 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Depends where you live for instance. I only use tires that are stamped M&S, maximum grip for a variety of road situations or weather as sometimes mountain passes or a moist valley can surprise you around here any season. Similar concept to my car tires when I had one, I know what to expect on paved roads with M&S.The more grip,the less high end of which I have enough of on a 650 anyways. I lean towards grip as in 3 seasons as a default. Grab on hot tar sqiggles in a easy corner is also a good test for a tire for me! Cali or deep south riders for example dont have the same requirements as I would in the Pacific NW. If you go to off road tires you have to balance noise,vibration and increased wear on pavement.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
...I only use tires that are stamped M&S....
The SHINKO E705 tires I'm running are M&S.
jaaklucas likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
$161 for a set at american moto tire. maybe that's the 3rd set. i already bought the avon spirits as the second set.i should ber done with the oem in a month or so.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Surprise early snowfall on the Coquihala and all the other high passes around,Im not big on seeing how well my M&S tires work but I know I could carefully in a pinch!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Surprise early snowfall on the Coquihala and all the other high passes around,Im not big on seeing how well my M&S tires work but I know I could carefully in a pinch!
The main reason that I'm interested in running M&S tires is the fact that you are required by law to have M&S tires on certain high altitude roads between two arbitrary dates, no matter IF it's clear and sunny, here in BC.

I mostly AVOID snowy conditions....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The main reason that I'm interested in running M&S tires is the fact that you are required by law to have M&S tires on certain high altitude roads between two arbitrary dates, no matter IF it's clear and sunny, here in BC.

I mostly AVOID snowy conditions....
Absolutely! Anyone in BC here should be aware of that, Oct 1 to April 30 on the high passes. And for good reason. If its really bad they can turn you away even with M&S, real snow tires required. Last year I rode the Coquihalla right into end of October. Cool weather there but clear. I would not go out in snow willingly but sometimes it happens here in the Great White North as we know. Learned that the hard way in my youth, feet down on the Cross Canada highway around Lake Superior end of June trying to ride through it. i was too broke to stop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode