R&G Rear Stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By leftbrain99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
R&G Rear Stand

I have just received an R&G rear stand & fitted bobbins to the swing arm on my 2018 650Versys LT.
I find that the stand handle fouls the bike rear plate / reflector assembly when I'm trying to engage the bobbins.
Just wondered if anyone else had run in to this issue & come up with a solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190915_171558.jpg (40.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190915_171425.jpg (51.2 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Try to straighten up a the bike a little bit by placing a piece of wood 2"' ~ 3" on the side stand which will help lift the bike up and may not foul the back of your bike. IMHO.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
My Pit Bull stand does the same - when lining up the stand with the spindles, the reflector does interfere with the handle, even with the bike propped up completely vertical. I just work around it as best I can and it's never been a problem, just an annoyance.
Fastoman likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM

Location: Mesquite NV from SLC Utah. In the process of leaving Mesquite.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had the same issue with my Pit Bull stand. I found a link where a guy had trimmed his V1000 rear fender using automotive paint tape and a small cutting wheel. I bought tape and a small cutting wheel from Harbor Freight. Laid the tape out straight all the way across. Did a couple practice cuts down low to get a feel for it. Basically just cut off the reflector with a straight cut. No way I was giving up my Pit Bull stand for a reflector that'll be the first to break during a tip over, anyway. Here's the link to the video:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions.
Seems like a quick & easy solution is to cut off the reflector assembly but..
I wonder about the legalities of removing a rear reflector especially since I live in the nanny state of British Columbia & I don't want to run a foul of the law here.
I do have red / white striped relector tape on the rear of my side bags & also on my Kappa top box so there is lots of high viz indication on the back of my bike.
Just wondered about removing the original reflector since I'm sure this is put on by Kawasaki to meet some US / Canada DOT regulation.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:02 PM

I have sam problem on my 2018 Versys 650, rear stand hit between plate holder and reflector, it is no name product, probably from china, about 40$ I pay them, for first use which I need urgent it was OK.
But this cheap stand start to bend little by little i notice that motorbike going little to right, so I will build myself some hardcore rear stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear stand.jpg (14.2 KB, 8 views)

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvversys View Post
I wonder about the legalities of removing a rear reflector especially since I live in the nanny state of British Columbia & I don't want to run a foul of the law here.
I do have red / white striped relector tape on the rear of my side bags & also on my Kappa top box so there is lots of high viz indication on the back of my bike.
Reflective devices
4.21 (1)A vehicle must be equipped with at least one red reflector at the rear of the vehicle, either separate or incorporated into a tail lamp, that is mounted at a height of not less than 38 cm and not more than 1.83 m.

Source: http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/...atreg/26_58_01

So, it seems you can legally cut off the rear reflector as it sounds like you have already put some additional red reflective material on the rear of your bike within the above specs. Another way to be in compliance would be to use a couple license plate screws with reflective heads, like these.

I also saw elsewhere here where someone cut the tail and reattached the reflector so it was just higher up and made clearance for a rear stand.

Last edited by leftbrain99; 09-17-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks "leftbrain99".
I'll check out the reflective plate screws, what a good idea.
I'd thought about cutting off the reflector assembly & then re-attaching it highter up to get the needed clearance for the stand handle.
Thanks again for taking an interest iin this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I'd thought about cutting off the reflector assembly & then re-attaching it highter up to get the
I pared my tail down and attached another running/brake light. Enough room to get my rear stand under....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my rear daylight.jpg (74.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg rear running lights aux. on.jpg (49.4 KB, 12 views)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I chopped the ugly tail which also made it hard to use my Harbor Freight stand. I replaced it with a license plate frame which reflects as well as adds an additional brake light. Got it on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by Buffalo_Bob; 09-17-2019 at 07:37 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments & suggestions.
Just wondered about removing the original reflector since I'm sure this is put on by Kawasaki to meet some US / Canada DOT regulation.
I added some of that red reflective tape across the bottom of the "tail" on my Gen 3 when I broke mine off. I don't know, but I believe that it broke thru contact from my rear tire, possibly when I hit a pot-hole...(?).

I had 'contact' w/ a Harbor Freight rear stand, but NO contact w/ a TREX stand.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-19-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 AM

I just bend the tail out of the way. It is flexible enough to easily move it when using the pit stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode