19" Front Wheel Conversion - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kiko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
19" Front Wheel Conversion

Other than the Suzuki DL1000 front wheel swap, is there any other 19" front wheel that can be converted with minimal work and cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Just curious - why do you need a different option?

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM

i bet he needs a different option because there are a handful of us who have waited over a year scouring ebay and other sites trying to find one under $3-400.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Gotcha. I'm not sure different will be any cheaper. But - if so, I might join in...

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
i bet he needs a different option because there are a handful of us who have waited over a year scouring ebay and other sites trying to find one under $3-400.
Well not a year, but been looking for 10 months. New with discs is about $1200 at the dealer and a Woody's spoke wheel build is about $900.

Last edited by kiko; 02-14-2013 at 05:56 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:35 AM
MTS

This is propably a really dumb question. How many inches gain is that, rim plus tire?

Because could it be possible to gain through some type of tire?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 AM

I think the stock DL1000 tire is a 110/80. Dunno what that makes the total outside diameter, but someone with better maths than I can prolly figure it out...

Well, maybe we can do better than that.

110mm = 4.33 in wide
* .8 = 3.45 in tall
+ 19 = 22.46

I'm running a 130/80 Shinko 705:

130mm = 5.12 in wide
* .8 = 4.09 in tall
+ 17 = 21.09

Now, stock size:

120mm = 4.72 in wide
* .7 = 3.31 in tall
+ 17 = 20.31

Now, that's wrong - I think - because the height measurement includes the rim-porion of the tire (I bet that has a name), so all these numbers are too big by maybe an inch?

So, yeah, the bigger tires on the 17 do "help" in this regard, but really wide tires (like the 130) also come with disadvantages...

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
FWIW: Just measured my 130/80 x 17 Tourance. Approx. 25" high.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 PM

I just measured my 120/90/17 heidenau k60 front tire, and it is also 25 inches.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Interesting. So, I wasn't even close.

Ahh - I see why. I only counted ONE side of the tire.

New numbers:
19 110/80: 25.90
17 130/80: 25.18
17 120/70: 23.62

That's a bit closer to reality.

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Well after 16 months I finally found a complete DL1000 front wheel with rotors on Ebay. I bought it at asking price as soon as I found it.

Only saw three wheels before that in 16 months. I thought the first one was priced too high but it sold quickly anyway. The second one (complete) went the same day it was listed, and there is one now on Ebay for 299.00. For 299 you get the wheel with bearings, seals, and internal spacer.

A new wheel at Ron Ayers is 294.98. Few and far between these wheels used.
ficker likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Here I am thinking of going the other way on my KLR, from a 21" to a 19". A 21" looks "Dirty" but at 450 pounds+ a 19" would give the Fat Little Pig more of a "Planted" feel on the road. I also am finding the price a bit hard to deal with for a hoop a metal laced with a bit of wire. I've built bicycle wheels in the past so may order the rim, spokes and nipples and have a go at it on my own. I can rig a truing stand up.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The V-strom is a highly regarded bike. Why not just buy a V-strom instead of trying to turn a sport bike into an adventure bike? Of course the V-strom isn't really an adventure bike either. Why not just get a Tiger 800 XC and have a bike designed to ride dirt?

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I looked at the DL's before I went with the Versys and the Versys fit me better. The DL's seem more boat like to me than the compact Versys. The Versys complements my XR650R if I want to do more serious off road,

I've had two friends who bought Tiger EXCs and both sold their bikes within a year due to the fuel management system stalling at the most inopportune times. One of the EXC's went to the dealer more than a dozen times in the first 6 months and the stalling issue kept coming back. I've another friend with an EXC in Mexico and his bike is also for sale for 11k USD if you know anyone interested. I'm sure the EXC is a great bike once you get it sorted out.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The V-strom is a highly regarded bike. Why not just buy a V-strom instead of trying to turn a sport bike into an adventure bike? Of course the V-strom isn't really an adventure bike either. Why not just get a Tiger 800 XC and have a bike designed to ride dirt?

Do you really want to start that argument again? (said with good humor!!!)

My Versys has been from Baja to just shy of the Arctic Circle on the stock 17" wheels. You can buy a TKC 80 for the front stock size and any number of adventure bike tires to fit the rear. There are probably as many Strom riders looking for 17" conversions as there are V riders looking to go the other way. It's human nature.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I recently road tested a BMW 800GS at the BMW demo day. Very nice bike but it had a 21inch front wheel that made it feel squirmy and unstable at highway speeds. The Versys is 2x the bike compared to the BMW on pavement and the BMW is an expensive bike. I'm sure the Versys could not touch the BMW on dirt though. My point is that changes like this are a trade off. What makes a good dirt bike makes a bad street bike and vise versus. The Versys feels a lot more agile than a WeeStrom, and has more front end grip on pavement too, in part because of it's smaller front wheel, but a taller, narrower front tire will bite into loose soil better too.

In reality the extra 2in of diam. alone does not make that much difference. What does make a difference is the increase in "trail" this 2in diam increase creates in the steering geometry. This means the steering will be slower and less responsive but also offer more self correction and greater directional stability.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

In Mexico where I live most of the year the roads are full of topes and potholes so for me the 19 front is a no brainer if I want to ride at speed rather than slow down for all of the potholes and topes. I'd rather roll over than smack into it.

Last edited by kiko; 08-13-2013 at 07:16 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM

there is one on Ebay today Aug. 15 for $299.00 OBO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode