Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

top case rack - weight limit

17K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Kris 
#1 · (Edited)
Hola,

I have Versys 650 2018 model, and I wish to buy top case holde and case also.
But I have problem, I found from GIVI rack - Givi SR4114

And from SW-motech steel rack and aluminum rack.

But here is problem, Givi have weight limit 6kg and SW-Motech have 7.5 kg weight limit.
Now i wish to buy this case TREKKER OUTBACK 42.

Now I heard that this case is 5-6 kg alone empty. So if you check weight limit for racks, you can see that for Givi that is it i can only ride with empty case, but with SW-Motech I can add 1.5-2 kg into case and that is it.
But when i see this racks it is really thick steel and only this little weight limit.
I study mechanical engineering, and when i see this parts my knowledge say to me that this parts need to take much more weight than manufacturer say.

Which rack you have on your bikes, and did you always whatch on weight limit, or you ignore and just add stuff inside and ride.

I mean I don't want to find myself in a situation where holder will break and maybe disbalance me on bike and crash bike with me into ditch or somewhere else.

Or best solution is to build alone holder with strong and thick steel and that is it?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, I will not adding to much weight into case, but I wish to know how much I can add but without damage frame where is rack connect to motorbike. I know that will affect on handling. If is something really heavy I always can place that on passenger place and low weight into case.
For now I don't have saddlebags or case, so for now I all my stuff have in may backpack and second backpack is on passenger place.

#4 ·
Usually the topcase brands are too carefull regarding weight and speed limit recomendations.

If I'm not mistaken the weight limit of the cases that came with my 2018 Grand Tourer (made by Givi) is 5kg for the side cases and 10kg for the topcase (a rebranded Givi V47) and a speed limit of 120 km/h. If the frame can take my 130kg of weight for sure it can take some kg in the side and topcase. But the stress it causes in the supports is a totally different story.

I would suggest to look at the Givi V47 as it is lighter and this can help.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yea, that is what I wish to know, how much support can take weight without problem.
I also look for that Givi V47, but I wish to take aluminum, it is stronger, (and also I will put military mate green vinyl on them so he will be simmilar color to my bike) but he have less place than this Givi V47.
I will wait till Christmas, than will be discounts on everything, I will found something nice for my motorbike :)

#6 ·
I’m using the givi rack myself with a plastic pad and OBKN58 liter top case. Max I’ve loaded it was 17kg (case inclusive) and rode for 7K km+, top speed was ~170km/h.

This was together with side cases (trekker outback 48 liter pair) and a pillion. All in all weighing around 500kg with me, pillion, bike and stuff.

No issues what so ever, just less mileage from the rear tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
This is what I wait.
Thank you, so this 6kg weight limit i can easy add 10 kg (including box) on tham without problem.
You have this rack - Givi SR4114, or maybe some other from givi which I didn't found? for gen 3 versys 650.

#9 ·
Thank you very much, now I am 99% sure that rack are strong and can take more weight than manufacturer say, than I will take this combination:

Givi SR4114
TREKKER OUTBACK 42
GIVI M7 Monokey (same like yours)

Now only need to wait Christmas and paycheck in december :)

#13 ·
Bear in mind that you can easily ride w/ a passenger that WILL weigh much more than 6 KG.

Here are pics of my '09 and '15 V650s set-up for camping, on rides to Dawson City and Alaska, and across Canada. I weigh about 200 pounds wearing my ATGATT stuff.

and these pics show that 'stuff' OFF the bike....

#14 ·
Hmm I don't know why but I don't see pictures (when I quote your answer than I was able to see links but pictures are 1x1 pixel)

I know that passenger weight much more than 6 kg, but he seat on passenger place, and also he can rely on the case , I was worried how much strong is part on motorbike where you connect rack to him. (like on picture).
But now I know that people use much more weight than specs recomended, so I am sure it will be OK.

SW-Motech say this in instruction :
ATTENTION: maximum load: 7.5 kg/16.5lbs (including topcase/luggage and Adapter Kit)! The maximum vehicle load specified by manufacturer must not be exceeded!
Maximum speed with mounted topcase/luggage: 130km/h

So when I translate that to my language I understand that: topcase weight + luggage (inside case) weight need to be maximum 7.5 kg
But Givi say, that I can add 6 kg inside case, no matter how much weight that case.

That was little confusing to me.

Attachments

#15 ·
My camping gear weight is usually 15 Lbs in topcase, 15 Lbs in each pannier & 25 Lbs on the rear seat. I always take a small ice cooler with my food in it iced down.I usually put the cooler in the topcase. My next trip I’m thinking about putting the cooler in a duffle bag or seat bag with other stuff on the rear seat. Most of my Motorcycle Trips I always tent camp. Only one trip did I stay in motels. A week of camping & total expenses is usually $400 dollars,a week staying in motels $800 ++ dollars. I like coming home & still have money left over for my next trip!!!

#16 ·
I've ridden literally thousands of kilometers with a 15kg topcase with speeds far exceeding the stated 130km/h. I've also known others that did so. Last month we finished a 3500 km trip around the Alps where a friend's CBR 600 F4i carried a Givi V47 that weighed around 20kg (case + contents) attached via this: https://www.givi.it/my-motorcycle/product/honda/cbr-600-f-99--09/optionals/252f . No issues whatsoever, wasn't his first trip either.

I've seen overloaded luggage racks bending or breaking only on old, small bikes. Once on a Honda CB 500 and once on a Suzuki GS 500 (that one actually broke through a subframe mount, due to rust). In both cases, you could plainly see, by the construction of the rack, that it was not up for the job. The rails were too flimsy, it stuck out too much to the back, creating a large lever arm, the entire bike was shimmying when loaded...

On any bike where the rack looked right, it also took heavy loads just fine, yet the producer's load and speed limits were the same for all motorcycles. Lowest common denominator? That's my guess.
Givi or SW-Motech probably can't be bothered to test their designs until the breaking point. There's way too many bikes and racks to cover. Instead, they likely have a standardized "pass/fail" test with like a 5kg load (or even no test at all, just an engineer signing off that it should be fine ;)) so all their warnings labels use that.

I can vouch for the OEM luggage rack on the Versys, it's as low-profile as it gets, very sturdy, doesn't stick out too much. It's surprising how well the bike handles with heavy load.

#17 ·
I can vouch for the OEM luggage rack on the Versys, it's as low-profile as it gets, very sturdy, doesn't stick out too much. It's surprising how well the bike handles with heavy load.
I was looking also OEM rack, but when I see price :huh: i just close that page on internet, and after 15 minute found Givi :)

#35 ·
it is not a good idea to have too much weight at the rear box. this will cause the bike to fish-tail. Watch the great move, 'the world fastest Indian'!!!! but is it convenient to have the rear box: i personally fit in it rain gear and stuff. I have HB box which is very light, by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.