Michelin Anakee 3 Vs Michelin PP3 ?? any idea? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Michelin Anakee 3 Vs Michelin PP3 ?? any idea?

Hello,

Anyone who tried the Michelin Anakee 3 Vs Michelin PP3? which one offers the best ratio of grip/longevity?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Go to the tire selector on the Michelin website.

Tires are a compromise between pavement grip, long life and grip on dirt and gravel. You can't have all three qualities in a single tire. Softer rubber compounds grip pavement better but wear faster. Less tread grips dry pavement better. Aggressive treads grip dirt better but have less grip on pavement.

For general riding, the best tires for pavement use on the Versys are sport tour tires (all tire manufactures have a model of these) such as the Michelin Road Pilot 3. Excellent tire BTW. Sport tour type tires are designed to provide the best compromise between wet and dry grip and long life for a sport tour bike like the Versys.

Sport bike tires like the Pilot Power are going to give better dry grip, reduced wet grip and have a shorter life. Off road tires like the Anakee (does not come in 120/70-17 and 160/60-17 to fit the Versys btw) will provide better grip on dirt but at the expense of noticeably reduced grip on pavement.

Off road tires have more aggressive tread patterns that grip dirt better but at the expense of reduced pavement grip. The more agressive the tread pattern the greater the loss of grip on pavement. If you are looking at riding a lot of dirt roads the only option available in stock sizes right now is the Pirelli Scorpion Trail. Also an excellent tire for the Versys. It is a 95% pavement/5% dirt tire. Basically a sport tour tire with deeper and more aggressive tread pattern, but not too aggressive to substantially harm pavement grip. It will wear very slightly faster than a higher end sport tour tire like the RP3 and have very slightly less grip on pavement but 2x the grip on dirt and gravel. You will not notice the slight loss of grip on pavement unless you are a very aggressive rider (~140%+ of posted speed limit in corners).

Although some on this site have done this with reportedly satisfactory results, in my experience with this issue I would avoid, at all costs, installing a tire in non stock sizes. This will impact steering feel and handling. Stock sizes are 120/70-17 (front ~32psi) and 160/60-17 (rear ~ 36psi).

Last edited by twowheels; 02-14-2013 at 12:55 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have no experience with the anakees, but plenty of versys riders in my country used metzeler tourance exp and bridgestone battlewing for the rear tyre, which comes in size 150/70/17, and they're happy with the mileage these tyres gave them compared to the sport touring tyres. bear in mind that their riding constitutes 95% pavement and 5% dirt/gravel/mixed roads.

I cant vouch for their experience as i do agree with what twowheels mentioned about, and given the aggressive riding on paved roads tat i do, i needed a tyre that gives good grips in both dry and wet and hence sport/sporttour tyre is the one i go for.

My experience:

Michelin PR2 - average grip, skips and skids when ridden hard. Pretty Good mileage lasted me about 17k-19k km (cant recall exact.)

Pirelli angel st - pretty good grip when new, tyre profile is very lean-inducing. Poor mileage, about 12k km and it started to breakdown rapidly. Grip gets progressively bad as it wears.

Michelin pr3 - newly slapped on for a week, very good grip as a new tyre, how grippy it will remain as i wear it down, and its mileage remains to be seen. Touted as the best wet tyre, despite having gone thru torrential rain i did not push the bike to test the claim. Suffice to say that an acquaintance of mine had a bad slide in wet with this tyre on his ninja zx6r.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode