Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Bike died under hard braking

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Steve in Sunny Fl 
#1 ·
Hola,

This is second time happen that my bike die under hard braking.
First time ( before 2 -3 month ) I was 2 km from my home, some dude get in front of me and I need to hard brake so I press front and rear brake and clutch lever also, and also downshifting from 6 to 2 gear, when I slow down enough I try to release clutch lever and I notice really hard engine braking, I add little gas and again try to release clutch lever, again hard engine braking, and than I notice red lamp, and my RPM meter was on 0 rpm. kill switch I didn't touch, I just again press button for fire engine, and engine instant start ON, red light was gone. I try to little rev 5-6k rpm. No problem, and everything work well after that. Maybe is little gas in tank (it was on reserve so it is at least 5 liter of gas inside tank).
And today I have same problem (0.6km from my home), I get speed and I try to reduce speed by downshifting (coming to crossing the railroad),
and I go from 5-2 gear, and than I press clutch lever and brake so I can slowly pass that railroad ( really bumpy crossing ), and than I notice that RPM meter is on 0rpm. No red light on bike, I just press button for fire engine and engine start in same time. After that no problem, I didn't touch also this time kill switch. (fuel tank have at least 10 liter of gas inside)

This is 6 month old bike, I buy them brand new. I check every time before ride oil, tire pressure, and stuff like that, everthing is OK.

Somebody have this tipe of problem ?

Also I am going to visit service in next 2-3 week because I need to repair my table holder, and fender which hold turn lights ( one dude rear end me 2 month ago. ). So I will need to ask service guy, where is problem, maybe he can run diagnostic or something like that.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a similar problem with mine. When it went for the first service I spoke with the mechanic that said it is normal with new bikes and it has to do with idle and clutch point If I understood correctly.

They did some tunning and it was ok. It happened to me 3 or 4 times before the service and didn't happened again after they tunned it.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

#4 ·
It is 1200 rmp or little more., maybe i just need to little raise idle rpm near to 1400 rpm

I had a similar problem with mine. When it went for the first service I spoke with the mechanic that said it is normal with new bikes and it has to do with idle and clutch point If I understood correctly.

They did some tunning and it was ok. It happened to me 3 or 4 times before the service and didn't happened again after they tunned it.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
I will se with service guy what he will say, but this happen to me 2 times in 9000 km, so it is not big problem.
They say to me it is everthing OK until I see red lamp which are always ON then I need to shut bike OFF and call service.
Unitl than i think that is everything ok, and this died bike is something random , or maybe mixing high moisture with high temperature and bad gas, and little empty tank. Who know we will see what service guy will say.

#9 ·
My idle is set around 1150 or 1200 and I've not had this issue, before or after flash. I like the lower idle setting for engine braking when playing hard.

However, under hard braking I don't pull the clutch in until I have to. If it's that much of an emergency stop I'm more worried about the situation than down shifting.

Just trying to add to the information pool.

#10 ·
Dying under heavy braking is something I've heard from owners of various bikes since they pretty much all went to DFI.

#11 ·
Anything below 1450 rpm idle and the Heads Up monitor on my '07 turns red- no charge to the battery. Not normally a consideration except in cold weather when I wear heated gloves and jacket liner.

That is not really a concern unless I'm riding in the city with frequent stops. I always ride with high beam on in daylight, which of course draws more amps.

There really is no reason to have idle set below 1450 rpm- it avoids stalling and provides for better battery charging. I am a minimalist rider- no GPS, no phone plugged in, no sound system etc but for those who have such toys, charging does become more of a factor.

#12 ·
...I am a minimalist rider- no GPS, no phone plugged in, no sound system etc but for those who have such toys, charging does become more of a factor....
I TOO am a minimalist rider...., except I have a GPS. My sound system? That wonderful Kawi 650 PTwin under throttle.

:thumb: - :thumb:

#15 ·
Last year I lowered my idle on my 2015 650 to 1200 RPM thinking I could cut down the clunk from N to 1st and created problems,like overcharging which I noticed when I installed a voltmeter. Now Im at 1500 RPM,like some others. Also keep the throttle cable clean with spray cleaner and it should have a bit of slack on the grip per Kawi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.