• 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By kardan
  • 3 Post By Steve in Sunny Fl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike died under hard braking

Hola,

This is second time happen that my bike die under hard braking.
First time ( before 2 -3 month ) I was 2 km from my home, some dude get in front of me and I need to hard brake so I press front and rear brake and clutch lever also, and also downshifting from 6 to 2 gear, when I slow down enough I try to release clutch lever and I notice really hard engine braking, I add little gas and again try to release clutch lever, again hard engine braking, and than I notice red lamp, and my RPM meter was on 0 rpm. kill switch I didn't touch, I just again press button for fire engine, and engine instant start ON, red light was gone. I try to little rev 5-6k rpm. No problem, and everything work well after that. Maybe is little gas in tank (it was on reserve so it is at least 5 liter of gas inside tank).
And today I have same problem (0.6km from my home), I get speed and I try to reduce speed by downshifting (coming to crossing the railroad),
and I go from 5-2 gear, and than I press clutch lever and brake so I can slowly pass that railroad ( really bumpy crossing ), and than I notice that RPM meter is on 0rpm. No red light on bike, I just press button for fire engine and engine start in same time. After that no problem, I didn't touch also this time kill switch. (fuel tank have at least 10 liter of gas inside)

This is 6 month old bike, I buy them brand new. I check every time before ride oil, tire pressure, and stuff like that, everthing is OK.

Somebody have this tipe of problem ?

Also I am going to visit service in next 2-3 week because I need to repair my table holder, and fender which hold turn lights ( one dude rear end me 2 month ago. ). So I will need to ask service guy, where is problem, maybe he can run diagnostic or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:52 PM

I had a similar problem with mine. When it went for the first service I spoke with the mechanic that said it is normal with new bikes and it has to do with idle and clutch point If I understood correctly.

They did some tunning and it was ok. It happened to me 3 or 4 times before the service and didn't happened again after they tunned it.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
kardan likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Whats is your idling RPM. Too low setting can kill engine during slow riding or sudden deceleration.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Whats is your idling RPM. Too low setting can kill engine during slow riding or sudden deceleration.
It is 1200 rmp or little more., maybe i just need to little raise idle rpm near to 1400 rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
I had a similar problem with mine. When it went for the first service I spoke with the mechanic that said it is normal with new bikes and it has to do with idle and clutch point If I understood correctly.

They did some tunning and it was ok. It happened to me 3 or 4 times before the service and didn't happened again after they tunned it.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
I will se with service guy what he will say, but this happen to me 2 times in 9000 km, so it is not big problem.
They say to me it is everthing OK until I see red lamp which are always ON then I need to shut bike OFF and call service.
Unitl than i think that is everything ok, and this died bike is something random , or maybe mixing high moisture with high temperature and bad gas, and little empty tank. Who know we will see what service guy will say.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardan View Post
It is 1200 rmp or little more., maybe i just need to little raise idle rpm near to 1400 rpm....
Look in your OWNERS MANUAL - it will tell you to set it higher than 1200!

I suggest you use 1350 rpm minimum.
onewizard likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardan View Post
It is 1200 rmp or little more., maybe i just need to little raise idle rpm near to 1400 rpm....
Look in your OWNERS MANUAL - it will tell you to set it higher than 1200!

I suggest you use 1350 rpm minimum. FWIW - I use 1,500 rpm on my '15 V650.
Fastoman and kardan like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Low idle time is the Devil's workshop!
dadsafrantic and Fastoman like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Same thing here. The Versys is sensitive to the low idle. Once I raised it, at the mechanic’s blessing, it didn’t do it again.
Fastoman likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My idle is set around 1150 or 1200 and I've not had this issue, before or after flash. I like the lower idle setting for engine braking when playing hard.

However, under hard braking I don't pull the clutch in until I have to. If it's that much of an emergency stop I'm more worried about the situation than down shifting.

Just trying to add to the information pool.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Dying under heavy braking is something I've heard from owners of various bikes since they pretty much all went to DFI.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
Anything below 1450 rpm idle and the Heads Up monitor on my '07 turns red- no charge to the battery. Not normally a consideration except in cold weather when I wear heated gloves and jacket liner.

That is not really a concern unless I'm riding in the city with frequent stops. I always ride with high beam on in daylight, which of course draws more amps.

There really is no reason to have idle set below 1450 rpm- it avoids stalling and provides for better battery charging. I am a minimalist rider- no GPS, no phone plugged in, no sound system etc but for those who have such toys, charging does become more of a factor.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...I am a minimalist rider- no GPS, no phone plugged in, no sound system etc but for those who have such toys, charging does become more of a factor....
I TOO am a minimalist rider...., except I have a GPS. My sound system? That wonderful Kawi 650 PTwin under throttle.

-
dadsafrantic and quexpress like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Today I see that idle is less than 1200rpm about 1000-1100 maximum. I raise that between 1400-1500
Now time will show how V650 will work
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

After raising idle RPM on 1500 motorbike work much much better, also now I don't have hard and bumpy acceleration in second gear on low RPM, now accelerate smoothly.
Fastoman likes this.

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:12 PM

Last year I lowered my idle on my 2015 650 to 1200 RPM thinking I could cut down the clunk from N to 1st and created problems,like overcharging which I noticed when I installed a voltmeter. Now Im at 1500 RPM,like some others. Also keep the throttle cable clean with spray cleaner and it should have a bit of slack on the grip per Kawi.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Just an FYI, if the valves are getting tight, the first thing to suffer will be the idle "strength" in other words when you have to start raising the idle, the valves are probably getting tight and leaking some compression into the intake track. I did a video about this on you tube. different bike, same principle.

onewizard, Fastoman and jaaklucas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode