• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By RR Jonny
  • 4 Post By asphaltaddict33
  • 1 Post By Wolfcamp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Beware: T-Rex Racing quality control lacking

Just installed a center stand for my 650 from T-Rex racing, and the second time I deployed, or rather as I took the bike off of the stand, the spring perch popped off of the right side bracket. I had noticed that the weld did not look great when initially inspecting the kit, and happened to take a photo of it before the install. I am an amateur welder, and since learning to decently MIG, and horrifically TIG, weld things I enjoy seeing welds on finished products. All my initial weld failings trained my eye to spot a dud I guess. The porosity near the edges of the first photo is what tipped my eye to it mayyybe being a poor weld, and oof its a terrible one, almost zero metal fusion occurred.

I was taking photos because I also noticed that 2 holes did not have their threads properly tapped, and they turned out to be too large to accept the M8 - 1.25 tap. That wasnt a big deal, longer bolt and nut solved that issue, but the spring perch ejecting itself is obviously fatal.

Reached out to T-Rex with the attached photos and they are looking into the issue, will update as they respond.

I have their engine case covers, frame sliders, and front axle slider, and they are good quality, install was easy. So it isnt all junk.
If you get any kits from T-Rex inspect things carefully before installing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7830.jpg (12.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7827.jpg (9.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7826.jpg (9.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7950.jpg (9.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7949.jpg (10.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7947.jpg (14.7 KB, 47 views)

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:25 PM

Garage
I second this sentiment. I like the engine guards, but I would steer clear of the center stand and skid plate. When I can identify an issue and the company can't, that's when I walk away. The products technically do what they're advertised to do, but not worth wasting time dealing with them.

I have become comfortably numb.....

Jonny
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the engine guards and was just thinking about getting their luggage guards. Are there any other makers of luggage guards for the 15-on Versys 650?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
I have the engine guards and was just thinking about getting their luggage guards. Are there any other makers of luggage guards for the 15-on Versys 650?

I have the luggage guards, but I haven't unwrapped them yet. Installing them seems easy; the only place they can screw up is a nut/bolt that goes through the passenger foot peg mount; that can be replaced. I am OK with the blocks they use to mount them to the frame, and they're already screwed on to the bars. My welds are OK on my engine guards, and I will check the luggage guard welds tomorrow. I purchased the whole protective package and center stand, and I'm not worried. I'm not elated, but I'm not worried.

Jonny

Last edited by RR Jonny; 08-28-2019 at 08:56 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Oh Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Just installed a center stand for my 650 from T-Rex racing, and the second time I deployed, or rather as I took the bike off of the stand, the spring perch popped off of the right side bracket. I had noticed that the weld did not look great when initially inspecting the kit, and happened to take a photo of it before the install. I am an amateur welder, and since learning to decently MIG, and horrifically TIG, weld things I enjoy seeing welds on finished products. All my initial weld failings trained my eye to spot a dud I guess. The porosity near the edges of the first photo is what tipped my eye to it mayyybe being a poor weld, and oof its a terrible one, almost zero metal fusion occurred.

I was taking photos because I also noticed that 2 holes did not have their threads properly tapped, and they turned out to be too large to accept the M8 - 1.25 tap. That wasnt a big deal, longer bolt and nut solved that issue, but the spring perch ejecting itself is obviously fatal.

Reached out to T-Rex with the attached photos and they are looking into the issue, will update as they respond.

I have their engine case covers, frame sliders, and front axle slider, and they are good quality, install was easy. So it isnt all junk.
If you get any kits from T-Rex inspect things carefully before installing!
Yes the first thing this morning I am thinking I may need to moderate this thread. Upon closer inspection I think this is what is absolutely the best thing about this forum, honesty, buyer beware. As a electrician /multitrade person, welding was a asset and getting dispatched on a large construction project , you knew you would be among the last to be laid off when the project was wrapping up. Having looked at that photo, keep in mind that weld would be even more obvious before painting, that is pathetic, add to the threading problem, I sure would be thinking twice before buying any more of their products.
Please do post the end results.
RR Jonny likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:08 AM

That so called weld is what we call dirt dobbing.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:37 AM

I've seen similar reports of poor QC on the T-Rex stand. For some reason, nobody can seem to perfect a center stand for Gen 3 bikes; each one has some quirk or potential trouble-spot.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post

Luggage guards were fine. Went on easy, and the design is good with a bar going under the seat that may support a fabricated hugger or flap to keep dirt from freely getting into the bike.
HoosierFordMan likes this.

Jonny

Last edited by RR Jonny; 08-29-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Yes the first thing this morning I am thinking I may need to moderate this thread. Upon closer inspection I think this is what is absolutely the best thing about this forum, honesty, buyer beware. As a electrician /multitrade person, welding was a asset and getting dispatched on a large construction project , you knew you would be among the last to be laid off when the project was wrapping up. Having looked at that photo, keep in mind that weld would be even more obvious before painting, that is pathetic, add to the threading problem, I sure would be thinking twice before buying any more of their products.
Please do post the end results.
I agree wholeheartedly! We're not all experts at everything, and sometimes sketchy purchase decisions are difficult to admit or create reluctance to admit. As a community, we should look out for each other. I have no trouble admitting that the quality on this stuff is not the best. The bars are fine, but the combination of skid plate with center stand is not the best engineered thing I've seen. If someone would have posted a thread like this prior to me purchasing the center stand and plate, I would have thought twice about buying them. I agree 100% Onewizard!

Jonny
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I got a message this morning that they are sending a replacement part, and they added, "This is the first time we've had this problem for this particular center stand." Hardly reassuring, but customer service has been prompt, I had the issue and sent them the initial email late on Tuesday.

So we will soon have a second example of their work, if the weld even remotely looks suspect I will just repair the first one myself.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Glad they’re standing by their products.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 PM

I had two of the screws in my center stand just disappear. I emailed them about it and since I'm local and they installed it, I went by and they replaced them quickly enough.

I've been pretty happy with the center stand and their customer support but welds like that should not make it out into the world. I should give mine a good review to see how it's holding up after 3K of use.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I've seen similar reports of poor QC on the T-Rex stand.
I bought the T-Rex F&R Stands for my gen 3 a couple of years ago. Before using, they have to put together. One or two of the female threads were buggered up right out of the box. I managed to fix the problem without stripping any threads but I called up T-Rex before doing it so as not to void the warranty should I wind up making them worse.

Other than the lack of quality control on the threads, I'm pleased with the overall design of the stands. Just used both yesterday to change my front tire.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I bought the T-Rex F&R (AND 'triple-clamp' piece for the front) stands for my Gen 1 and Gen 3 some years ago, and have been VERY happy w/ them. NO problems on my end....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I received the replacement bracket and was able to install it this week. The replacement has all the of bolt holes properly threaded which is nice. The weld on the spring perch is adequate, but the fitup is poor (decent gap on the backside of the welded piece), overall I am satisfied but not pleased.

I deployed and retracted the stand 5 times after installing the new part with no issues, so it has already survived more use than the first one did. The gap on the backside of the weld will make it susceptible to rust over time, but now I have a spare to practice welding with and replace with if this one ever fails.

Sorry for the blurry photos, I was trying to get as close as possible to the joints. The one photo of the bracket installed shows the actual centerstand installed right under the spring perch, this is why they cant weld both sides of the spring perch. Not the best design decision on that part in my opinion.

I am on the fence as to whether I wish I had purchased a SW-Motech stand initially, cost is higher (crap I just checked and its on sale for less right now, ugh) but far lower chance of poor manufacturing quality, but hard to get replacements parts from Germany if needed...

I think would give T-Rex a chance on future parts if they offered something I wanted, their customer service has been very prompt in responding to this issue. Hawkishly inspecting all parts upon receipt is required though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7992.jpg (6.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7997.jpg (10.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7996.jpg (11.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7994.jpg (8.5 KB, 10 views)

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Garage
T-Rex Got Back With Me - 2 Weeks Response Time

I am not sure if you know about the spacer issue I had when installing both the skid plate and the center stand, but they got back with me and will send a new spacer. As mentioned, I didn't care much for their customer service. But, they did get back with me, they are taking corrective action and are sending the new spacer. Two weeks to respond is a bit much. I am apathetic regarding T-Rex. "Possibly meets requirements after a few tries" is the most enthusiastic review I can give them. I will not be conducting business with them again.

Jonny
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

That is disappointing they took so long to take care of the spacer, good customer service treats every issue with the same urgency, so I do not blame you for avoiding them in the future.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
That is disappointing they took so long to take care of the spacer, good customer service treats every issue with the same urgency, so I do not blame you for avoiding them in the future.
I was done with them before the response.

Jonny

Last edited by RR Jonny; 09-07-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode