Chain / Time to replace chain? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
With an o-ring, x-ring chain you do not get any lube under the rollers. ie sealed chain. They are pre greased and sealed with the rings.
My understanding is that the hinges are sealed but the rollers are not. The rollers are on the outside of the hinges. Sorry for the non-technical description. As I have been learning more about chains recently it has changed my thoughts on lubes. We need something thin enough at first to penetrate under the rollers and then stay there to lubricate.

Fortnine did a quasi-scientific comparison of lubes including a friction test. Plain oil did extremely well, probably because it seeps into those tight rollers. There is a good description in the first 3 minutes of the video, but here he shows exactly where our manual lube needs to get into.

In this diagram, part 5 is the roller and it rolls around part 4 (and the barrel on part 2). The lube needs to be in that tiny space, and it gets there when we apply lube manually. The sealed lube is between part 3 and the inside of part 4. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_chain

The cross section in this article shows another view. 1.3.2 Sealed Roller Chain

And in this drawing the green and blue barrels are rollers. You can see the x and o rings don't trap lube for the rollers, just in the hinge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring_chain

onewizard and 16VGTIDave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...I would love to have a pair of dyno boots. Where do you get them at?....
Tim - I figured that YOU of anyone on the Forum would get it right away - I use FLYING boots.

hawkerjet likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Please stop saying that we cannot lube behind the seals nor under the rollers. That's just wrong.

Rusting (swelling) pins are the reason why kinks appear. If water can get past the rings, so does lube. It may be because the seals are damaged sooner or later, but that doesn't matter.

You want lube to be the first to have the opportunity to get past the rings. Neglect will kill your chain, and dry seals will fail faster too.

As for rollers, they are obviously not sealed, you can see it with your own eyes. These are the ones taking the pressure, while the pins take the tension.
jackrobinson likes this.

post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
i'm new to owning a 650v. i've done plenty on bigger aprilias and always used the did vx525 gold chains. i'd generally get 26-28k miles on the caponord before replacing sprockets and chain. i have 86 k on the 2015 capo and it's on the second replacement set. i used a tutoro oiler though so maybe that helped. i'll be putting one on the versys as well.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:31 PM

Garage
Chain / Time to replace chain?

I was cleaning my chain when I noticed that some of the chain isn't completely straight.
Is it dangerous to ride with this chain, should I look into replacing it?
If so, what kind of chains do my friendly Versys riders use and can recommend ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90C9DFA6-96BB-4115-A68D-E1E24681593B.jpg (64.9 KB, 38 views)
HoosierFordMan likes this.

Ride safe
post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That link looks like it's starting to bind, definitely new chain time. It's not dangerous per se if it is only just starting to get that way. eventually the bound links could fail causing it to throw a chain which is dangerous.

I personally use a DID VX2 X ring chain. The specific chain for the V650 is a 520 114 link chain, if you still have the stock sprocket sizes. MAKE SURE TO GET A RIVETED MASTER LINK, chains only ship with a clip on link.
HoosierFordMan likes this.
post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM
jpd

Garage
Look at the sticky links as they roll over the sprocket and see if they are able to follow the bend around the sprocket. Next do the chain wear measurement with the affected links in the measured section and with it not in the measured area. (you would have to straighten the links to do the measurement) It will tell you if the links are worn more than the rest of the chain. Can you straighten them out by hand? Are the o-rings missing in the sticky links? If the wear is in limits and you can move the links by hand you might just need to lube the chain more often.

Jeff

post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
The LAST "DID..." chain I had did NOT last long, so I replaced it w/ an EK520SRX2 chain, which is 'holding-up' VERY nicely...!

-
jaaklucas and 16VGTIDave like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:56 AM

I was able to "release" some partially frozen links.

I have a new method and device to clean the chain, coming soon

my original chain has now 33k km.
SteveJ likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I was able to "release" some partially frozen links.

I have a new method and device to clean the chain, coming soon

my original chain has now 33k km.
Highly interested. I just replace a good chain, except for one stiff link.
chid likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #51 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:28 PM

New Chain...Gang

Installed a new EK 520 SRX2 chain and OEM sprockets last week.

Had been running DID chains in the past and they will now stay in the past. Only got 12k miles out of the last DID chain and I installed new OEM sprockets along with the chain.

EK is made in Japan not Vietnam or Chiner. The quality is outstanding. Every chain I have installed on a motorcycle going back to 1960, always has a fair amount of stretch during the first 100 or so miles. This EK is the first chain that has not stretched and I now have 150 miles on it.

Price wise they are only a few dollars more than similar DID or others.

If the initial 150 miles is any indicator, I believe this will be a long lasting chain.

Stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190825_083934.jpg (61.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190825_142501.jpg (86.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190825_142520.jpg (83.2 KB, 23 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #52 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:53 PM

The color is nice. Keep us informed!

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #53 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

Had been running DID chains in the past and they will now stay in the past. Only got 12k miles out of the last DID chain and I installed new OEM sprockets along with the chain.

EK is made in Japan not Vietnam or Chiner. The quality is outstanding. Every chain I have installed on a motorcycle going back to 1960, always has a fair amount of stretch during the first 100 or so miles. This EK is the first chain that has not stretched and I now have 150 miles on it.

If the initial 150 miles is any indicator, I believe this will be a long lasting chain.

Stay tuned.
I have over 15,000 KM on my EK 520 SRX2 chain, no stretch.
post #54 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have over 15,000 KM on my EK 520 SRX2 chain, no stretch.
Wow that's good to hear.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #55 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:29 AM
PCX

DID 520 VX2 fully stretched for 13K miles

Quote:

Stay tuned.
Last year I replaced the stock chain at 19K miles with DID 520 VX2. With just 13K miles on it is fully stretched out, the chain adjuster nuts are at near end of adjustment. This time I will go with your experience and get EK.
post #56 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Last year I replaced the stock chain at 19K miles with DID 520 VX2. With just 13K miles on it is fully stretched out, the chain adjuster nuts are at near end of adjustment. This time I will go with your experience and get EK.
Make sure and replace both sprockets at the same time.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #57 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 AM

Currently running a JT xring chain. It has stretched a lot!! I will try EK next time.
post #58 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Make sure and replace both sprockets at the same time.
I was forced into installing a new chain on a road trip without a sprocket change. The shop that I found to do the work could not remove the drive sprocket, They were trying with a 12 point socket, duh. The bike definitely had a vibration with the new chain and I wound up losing a few screws/bolts due to it. The chain survived the remaining 4k miles on the trip but was shot when I got home. I ordered up a new nut($24) installed fresh sprockets and another chain, a D.I.D. that lasted for 29k miles but was replaced due to a stiff link. It had not yet begun to do the death spiral end of life stretching yet.

After reading up in EK chains I bought one for my next replacement.

Life was simpler in my driveshaft days. Maybe a Guzzi for my next bike....

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #59 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Another vote for the EK 520SRX2 chain. I used the standard rivet master link, which requires buying a tool. Get the heavy duty chain breaker/rivet tool, it is worth it. Others have reported the new-ish EK screw master link works perfectly, and you don't need to buy a tool for it.

Get new sprockets whenever you replace the chain.
post #60 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Life was simpler in my driveshaft days. Maybe a Guzzi for my next bike....
I have had 2 shaft drive bikes. The first was a 1982 Honda V-45 Sabre. The early shaft drive bikes suffered from rear suspension jacking due to the shaft drive.

The second bike was a 2012 Connie 14. There was not a hint of shaft jacking on that bike and it was a bullet. That sucker would cruise at a buck 30 all day long...just tow your gas station behind you cuz she would really suck the gas at that speed.

Cookin Wid Gas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chain, questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in