2017 Ninja 650 Engine Code 62 and Previous Problems Starting - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By counterattack
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2017 Ninja 650 Engine Code 62 and Previous Problems Starting

Hello Versys Community,

I have a 17' Ninja 650 and was hoping you all could embark some of your wise wisdom to help me figure out the issues on my bike. There is sadly no dedicated Ninja 650 forum, but luckily our bikes are fairly similar.

My 650 has 4k miles gave me some starting issues a few days ago and left me temporarily stranded. I found someone to help me jump the bike with their car and that did not work. A friend of mine came by and helped me push start it. It was able to be push-started and that's when the check engine light/code appeared. I had just gotten back from a long ride on the FWY as well.

Before this incident, I had some minor troubles starting the bike too. When I would hit the ignition button the bike would not start and the gauges would turn off and re-sweep/start and the fuel pump would prime again. On the second try, it would start. This issue started after I washed my bike with a pressure washer and brought it home. I don't think I got water anywhere it wasn't supposed to be but when I parked it I hit the kill switch and took the key out too soon probably and when I came back to the bike with more towels I could hear the fuel pump still on/whining with the key out and the bike off. It was doing this for about 10mins or so as I went back for towels. I turned it to the run position and the pump recycled and started without an issue and turned it off without any more sounds. Could this be related to the engine code/starting issues?

Here is a video with sound of the bike not starting that day. I also took the battery into Autozone to have them charge and test it. It accepted a 100% charge and tested without issue.


THANK YOu
counterattack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,533
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
You MIGHT be showing signs of either your stator OR regulator in the process of dying....


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,906
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Similar Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterattack View Post
Hello Versys Community,

I have a 17' Ninja 650 and was hoping you all could embark some of your wise wisdom to help me figure out the issues on my bike. There is sadly no dedicated Ninja 650 forum, but luckily our bikes are fairly similar.

My 650 has 4k miles gave me some starting issues a few days ago and left me temporarily stranded. I found someone to help me jump the bike with their car and that did not work. A friend of mine came by and helped me push start it. It was able to be push-started and that's when the check engine light/code appeared. I had just gotten back from a long ride on the FWY as well.

Before this incident, I had some minor troubles starting the bike too. When I would hit the ignition button the bike would not start and the gauges would turn off and re-sweep/start and the fuel pump would prime again. On the second try, it would start. This issue started after I washed my bike with a pressure washer and brought it home. I don't think I got water anywhere it wasn't supposed to be but when I parked it I hit the kill switch and took the key out too soon probably and when I came back to the bike with more towels I could hear the fuel pump still on/whining with the key out and the bike off. It was doing this for about 10mins or so as I went back for towels. I turned it to the run position and the pump recycled and started without an issue and turned it off without any more sounds. Could this be related to the engine code/starting issues?

Here is a video with sound of the bike not starting that day. I also took the battery into Autozone to have them charge and test it. It accepted a 100% charge and tested without issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5pwg-Nmgj4

THANK YOu
Code 62 is something like throttle valve actuator malfunction. What I noticed was pushing the start button the headlight remained on, which means the start relay is not pulling in, that malfuction is inhibiting the start circuit. I googled code 62 and ninja 650, many posts related to code 62 and pressure washing.
Recently there have been a few something like 2 or 3 members with a 2015 or newer bike with problems with the vehicle down sensor, however no codes ever get thrown.Also as said later the start motor does turn over . IT shuts off the fuel pump, stick coils and injectors, typical is starting and running for 4 or 5 seconds and quitting, or just not starting, ( start motor turns over , just doesn't start). I have a solution for testing this. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...vehicle+sensor
here is a link with instructions;
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/79....html?page=152

Last edited by onewizard; 08-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.
onewizard is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@onewizard if it was the tip sensor would it even still try to crank? However, about a month ago a woman who paralleled parked in front of me backed into my bike a slow speed. I don't even know why she did as my bike is orange, I left here like 6 ft of room, and she had a new car with a backup camera and maybe sensors too. She kept nudging my bike but it did not tip and I did not notice any damage. When I went to get the kick stand up I noticed the asphalt had a fairly deep indentation due to the force and weight of the kickstand/bike being pushed.

Thanks for the sub throttle guide!
counterattack is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@fasteddiecopeman I was thinking it may be the starter as well when the jumper cables didn't work. Is there a way to test to starter/rectifier. Do you by chance know where they are on the bike? I did not even know what a rectifier was or did until I saw your post and googled it.
counterattack is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,871
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
From what i read, you problem started after the "Power Wash". I would start by checking the bike of all wiring system especially the fuse box with a can of Electrical contact spray. Check and clean all contacts/wiring points . The fact that the fuel pump was running without the key points to a different angle most likely a wiring /short circuit problem- IMHO.
counterattack likes this.
Fastoman is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,906
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Start Relay / Start Solenoid / Headlight Relay

The title is what I observed on your video, on the Versys an the Ninja , there is a start solenoid and start relay. The relay provides the signal to start, the solenoid provides the current and voltage to power the starter. If the starter had bad contacts, when pushing the start button, the headlight would turn off momentarily , secondly I have no idea why your headlight was on in the first place except there is a flaw in the design of all Kawasaki 650 wiring provided you have a good battery, normally the headlight relay gets energized once the bike is running and producing 13 VDC or better. The flaw is the dropping out of the start solenoid will energize the headlight relay. This solenoid on the Versys is beside the main fuse.
onewizard is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,533
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterattack View Post
@fasteddiecopeman I was thinking it may be the starter as well when the jumper cables didn't work. Is there a way to test to starter/rectifier. Do you by chance know where they are on the bike? I did not even know what a rectifier was or did until I saw your post and googled it.
I was gonna suggest looking at posts by "onewizard", but see he's ALREADY helping!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@onewizard Oh I remember why the headlight is on now! The headlight was on because we push started it and then hit the kill switch to see if it would start again without push starting again. It started up once then once we killed it again it would not start and that's when we took the video. We kept doing this several times and turned it off at the top of the hill to see if we could replicate it. When it was dead initially only the parking lights and not the headlight was on.
onewizard likes this.
counterattack is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@Fastoman what should I be looking at with the fuses? Should I just see if there is corrosion and spray them with contact cleaner regardless?
counterattack is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,871
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterattack View Post
@Fastoman what should I be looking at with the fuses? Should I just see if there is corrosion and spray them with contact cleaner regardless?
Yes! that's the point since most people who have power washed their bikes faced similar problems. You may have other problems but this is just to rule out short circuit in the system.also spray some at the ignition key assemble as your pump stayed "ON" despite you turning power off.

"when I wash my bike , i will use a blower to blow all water as far as possible and i don't have any problem with the bike after 9 years".
Fastoman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome