Fast Idle at Full Temp / During no engine braking - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Fast Idle at Full Temp / During no engine braking

I recall someone else posting this some time ago, this happened before I had my ECU flashed, what has changed is I now ride at a much lower RPM in 5th and 6th gear. This is what I have noticed, first my idle is set at `1500 RPM , since my fan comes on at about 195'F now since the flash, 1500 RPM maintains close to 13.9 VDC. So I have experimented and the question is, do other MK-3 650 Versys respond the same way.
This is what happens, if I am at or above 2500 -3000 + RPM ( in 2nd or higher gear)and decide just to brake ( with the clutch pulled in) or even just pull in the clutch , my idle goes to 2000 RPM, letting the clutch out with no additional throttle it will try and maintain 2000 RPM. OK same 2500-3000 +RPM, this time I back off the throttle and even downshift one gear, engine brake even 2 seconds, pull the clutch in and just brake or even coast with the clutch in and idle is now/ goes to 1500 RPM.I assume this is something in the map of the ECU or is it?

Last edited by onewizard; 08-17-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
SOMETIMES my '15 will rev to about 2,000, but I just pull in the clutch, rev the throttle slightly, then it backs down to 1,500.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There will certain amount of engine braking no matter what speed/rpm you are in as long as the bike is in motion. So you may get fast idle at 2000rpm due to slight engine breaking which is normal. IMHO

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
You Know Me / Trouble Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
There will certain amount of engine braking no matter what speed/rpm you are in as long as the bike is in motion. So you may get fast idle at 2000rpm due to slight engine breaking which is normal. IMHO
Once I notice something off I look real deep into it. I purposely pulled in the clutch on a off ramp at 80 KM/HR at the same instant I had released my throttle , strictly used my front and some rear brake, came to a stop light that just turned green all the time on the off ramp I was at 2000 RPM, since I make a point of knowing what gear I am in, I upshifted to 4th as I was in a 60 KM/HR zone, without touching the throttle the RPM was at 2000 and pulling in 4th. I then dropped a gear and engine braked for less than 2 seconds,pulled in the clutch for 3 seconds and was at 1500 RPM. Next test was in 6th gear doing 85 KM/HR , pulled in the clutch and released the throttle at the same time, I coasted down to 65 KM/HR all at 2000 RPM with the clutch in,I blipped the throttle with the clutch still pulled in, still at 2000 RPM, to the point that I was on a major highway and doing 50 KM/HR in a 80 was asking for trouble, less than 2 seconds of engine braking reduced and remained at 1500 RPM.
The main reason for this testing was the fact that some have had a pinched throttle cable or a dry throttle cable, my conclusion is the ECU needs to see some speed reduction combined with a reduction in the TPS , otherwise it maintains a certain minimum fueling in the throttle bodies. Since others have posted similar results, ( I can't find the thread ) , my concern was also if something was sticking in my throttle bodies. Since my very last test was a gentle one, and less than 2 seconds of very light engine braking with a return to 1500 RPM, my conclusion is something to do with the ECU.
I should point out like I said earlier, this happened before my ECU was flashed, just that I never rode below 4000 RPM in 4th or higher, I now am able to ride in 6th at 50 KM /HR ( I don't make a habit of it but at 60 KM/HR I am in 6th when going through small villages , no more need to downshift , and very easy to return to 80 or 90 KM/HR without having to leave my highway pegs , thanks @Steve in Sunny Fl )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode