looking for a front hoist or lift - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
looking for a front hoist or lift

I'm aware of triple clamp front stand but I have crashbars likely interfering with the front support bar of those stands; besides I want the stem to be able to move freely.

Given the versys 650 ('15) frame, I suspect there should be a solution to hoist from the top (ratchet straps?) or lift from both engine mounts.

I'm looking for something SAFE of course, yet not anchored to ground/walls/ceiling, just portable on any floor. I'm not willing to lift by the muffler because that removes too much weight from the rear stand and I saw live what this can result in. Hence the safe requirement.

Do you know of solid DYI or affordable home-user (not pro shop) product? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:38 AM

I use a T-Rex triple tree front stand & have crash bars with no problem.
I can also rotate about 15-20 degrees side to side while on the stand.
I thought some one did have a clearance issue but it was traced to having the wrong pin.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-07-2019 at 11:48 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I made a 'stand' from some scrap 2x4 lumber that supports across the front of my crash-bars, that I've used in conjunction w/ support straps up to the garage-opener as a just-in-case, as well as a rear pit-stand, and jack under the muffler.

Here's a pic.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1618313

Got the one ton come-along at Can tire, $30 C. The hooks fit perfect to the handlebars but I wrapped the bars to avoid scratching. A fancy cargo strap would be nice. Reinforced my garage ceiling joist and chained the come-along to it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I use a T-Rex triple tree front stand & have crash bars with no problem.
I can also rotate about 15-20 degrees side to side while on the stand.
I thought some one did have a clearance issue but it was traced to having the wrong pin.
which crash bars? because mine (hebco becker) passes across under the nose fairing, definitely stealing another inch or so further away from the pin hole.

Last edited by dddd; 08-07-2019 at 01:11 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1618313

Got the one ton come-along at Can tire, $30 C. The hooks fit perfect to the handlebars but I wrapped the bars to avoid scratching. A fancy cargo strap would be nice. Reinforced my garage ceiling joist and chained the come-along to it.

Hoist is in my options, but like I wrote, but I just have a floor. In that, I'm trying to find a safe minimal arch or 2 posts.

The abba stand is nice trick, but I got stuck on something last time I checked (can't recall if it was fit, price or else). I only retained it was no longer an option.

Eh... more thinking to do. I like the diy solving...! But I like your input too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I just figured 2 stupidly simple options...

a) The same way I can jack the rear with a 14in tube while on the side stand, I can jack the front with a 35in 2x4 under the right side of crashbar!
I would cut a wedge in the 2x4 to prevent the tube from slipping out. Keep the bike in 1st gear removing the slack. Assuming I cracked loose any axle or tube pinch bolts, calipers, and the axle itself prior to jacking, the tripod formed by the rear wheel, sidestand and 2x4 would likely hold fairly still for the low torque needed to work the wheel or forks off.

b) I could probably just lift the front with regular stand (might need to do in raised by rolling it on planks on each side of tire, due to front sag), then position 2 posts under the crashbar, and lower down the stand. I'm aware of the risk of moving sideways, so the 2 posts would be joined somehow, similar to picture in post #3. It's just more difficult because the crashbars are further forward and wheel is obstructing.

Getting there.
I wish t-rex could tell me if their triple clamp stand can work with hepco becker crashbars.
If you are an owner of this stand, can you please upload a picture showing the clearance left?..... Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
...I wish t-rex could tell me if their triple clamp stand can work with hepco becker crashbars.
If you are an owner of this stand, can you please upload a picture showing the clearance left?..... Thanks.
My TREX triple-tree stand DID work w/ H-B crash bars, and DOES work w/ SW-Motech ones.

...and here's a pic of my Gen 1 w/ H-B bars, on a TREX.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode