Tom Tom Rider and Garmin 396 LMT S - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tom Tom Rider and Garmin 396 LMT S

I’ve been reading reviews and looking at the info available. What I’m looking for here is recent experiences. The good the bad and the ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:04 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I just got done with a week riding event with my Garmin 396. Overall I think it worked well. It was easy to see in all lighting conditions and the glove friendly screen really is. I was able to make entries easily. I rode in very heavy rain like 2 inch an hour rain and it didn't affect it at all. The navigation worked well but I did get routed onto dirt roads a couple of times. That may have have been that BaseCamp and the maps in the unit had the roads as paved not gravel. Or that the only way to get to my next way-point was on gravel. The day after the rains I think there were road closures and it re-routed me while I was moving. This might be fine but it was sending me way out of my way and the map is to small to know if I wanted to do it while in motion. It was easy to bypass the next way-point to keep me going close to the route I wanted. I did the road it wanted to bypass 2 days later and there were several construction sites and to bypass them would have been a very long reroute. So it was probably correct. Notifications for delays and or construction were accurate. It was easy to bypass a stop if you wanted and it even knew if I stopped for gas early and asked if I wanted to reset the gas tracking. It did ask once when I stopped for a long light right next to a gas station. Gas tracking was correct also and I got the warning at the correct timing. Helmet law data notified about 5 to 10 miles before the border crossing. If selected you were able to read the notification. I got one construction notice 65 miles in advance and had to x out the box or it took up 1/3 of the screen. I liked that I could add trip information to the right side of the screen for additional data points. You can select from a large selection of information to display, 3 items. I could change them on the fly. There are other features that I didn't use yet.

I did have issues with the voice to my Sena SMH-10 com system. The first day the Garmin rebooted 4 hours into a 7 hour day and I lost the link to the headset. Re-synced to the headset but didn't work on day 2. Day 3 it worked good until I went through a school zone than did't reconnect. I unchecked the school zone and after a gas stop the turn by turn came back. Day 4 and 5 it worked great. Day 6 it did the reboot thing again and stopped working. So I think I found what was going on. I have an I Pod that I Bluetooth to the headset also and I don't think they play nice together. Days 3,4,&5 I left the I-Pod in the hotel room. This may be an issue with the Sena headset and not the Garmin. I am going to look for a firmware update for the Sena as I may be out of date.

Notifications are some what all or nothing. You can't select which ones give you a audio warning. If you want audio for one you get it for all. I turned off the school zone and speed reductions as the audio takes too long to go back to passenger intercom on my headset or not at all. The turn by turn is ok but with the long delay for the intercom switching it can get in the way just when you are counting on the passenger helping with where you want to go. Once again It may be my older Sena -10 unit.

You still have to be careful when navigating as any of my Garmin units will sometimes take you off the desired course onto a small road that it thinks is faster than the main road only to bring you back on to the main road. Usually behind that slow guy you had just got by. One will even get me off on a exit ramp just to get me back on. The cops will sometime set there just to catch people doing this during traffic slowdowns.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:22 PM

I'm a garmin fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
........I did have issues with the voice to my Sena SMH-10 com system. ................I am going to look for a firmware update for the Sena as I may be out of date..............the long delay for the intercom switching it can get in the way.......
Those are sena issues. Nothing to do with the zumo.
FYI, even the former cadillac of sena 20s has issues nowadays, since the disruptive bluetooth 5 has infected the world (since fall 2017).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...You still have to be careful when navigating as any of my Garmin units will sometimes take you off the desired course onto a small road that it thinks is faster than the main road only to bring you back on to the main road....
You should NEVER just blindly follow your GPS' instructions - you SHOULD ALWAYS know what your basic routing is. In flying we referred to that as situational awareness.

Quote:
...One will even get me off on a exit ramp just to get me back on....
I get that w/ my Garmins, so I take a look at its PLANNED routing, so (hopefully......) I notice that 'OFF then ON' on the screen, then I DON'T DO IT!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:24 PM
jpd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You should NEVER just blindly follow your GPS' instructions - you SHOULD ALWAYS know what your basic routing is. In flying we referred to that as situational awareness.

I get that w/ my Garmins, so I take a look at its PLANNED routing, so (hopefully......) I notice that 'OFF then ON' on the screen, then I DON'T DO IT!

I have been a Garmin user all the way back to my handheld grey scale unit. I do my route planing on BaseCamp and review the route on it. When it gets uploaded to the GPS unit it can get modified by the preferences (firmware) in the individual unit. I try to preview the route after it is uploaded. That gets harder when the unit auto reroutes due to traffic or construction. Now you have to stop and look it over again. I have several different units that I use in both my cars and on the bikes. Only one routes me onto the exit ramp with the same map update installed in each.

Like you said sometimes it just doesn't seem like it is taking you the right way and it is better to go with what you know is right.

With more and more automatic functions just remember that the programmers know better than you. Until they don't.

Waiting for a Tom Tom user to weigh in.

Jeff

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. I have a Garmin Fenix as well as a 820 on my bicycle. I’ve never used Basecamp as I use Garmin connect and just plug in my workouts. I downloaded and gave basecamp a look. Please tell me it’s not as complicated as it appeared.

So, any Tom Tom users out there?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
I have been a Garmin user all the way back to my handheld grey scale unit. I do my route planing on BaseCamp and review the route on it. When it gets uploaded to the GPS unit it can get modified by the preferences (firmware) in the individual unit. I try to preview the route after it is uploaded. That gets harder when the unit auto reroutes due to traffic or construction. Now you have to stop and look it over again. I have several different units that I use in both my cars and on the bikes. Only one routes me onto the exit ramp with the same map update installed in each.

Like you said sometimes it just doesn't seem like it is taking you the right way and it is better to go with what you know is right.

With more and more automatic functions just remember that the programmers know better than you. Until they don't.

Waiting for a Tom Tom user to weigh in.
For the past 5 years or so, I've been using Basecamp on my PC to plan my rides and then upload these onto my Garmin GPS.

Note: I keep maps as back up and also to look at the big picture. However IMHO the combination of Basecamp with Garmin is a system hard to beat. No more wondering if I'm on the right track. I just ride and enjoy the scenery.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg16 View Post
Thanks. I have a Garmin Fenix as well as a 820 on my bicycle. Iíve never used Basecamp as I use Garmin connect and just plug in my workouts. I downloaded and gave basecamp a look. Please tell me itís not as complicated as it appeared.
Basecamp is not as complicated as it looks ... once you get the hang of it.
If you're willing to make the effort to learn it, you will be quickly rewarded.

Check the Learn Garmin BaseCamp Forum on Delphi.
"From the beginner level, we will move forward with more advanced lessons and discussions. Each folder will contain tutorial videos and allow discussions within that folder on that topic. Visitors can move at their own pace, asking questions, view previous questions and make comments."

Good luck!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:29 PM
jpd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg16 View Post
I downloaded and gave basecamp a look. Please tell me itís not as complicated as it appeared.

So, any Tom Tom users out there?
Do a search for New England Motorcycle Riders. On their website on the left side click on the GPS tab. They have a PDF file on how to use BaseCamp. It is too complicated to explain on the posts. Once you play with it a while you can plan trip easily. I saved a copy of their PDF to my computer as a reference. The Garmin welcome videos are ok but NEMR does a better job on all aspects of its use.

http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/GPS.htm
quexpress likes this.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode