Suspect Ignition Switch has Gone Bad-Help with Final Diagnosis - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Suspect Ignition Switch has Gone Bad-Help with Final Diagnosis

Any help figuring out the current problem with my 2009 Versys (garage kept, 14, XXX) would be greatly appreciated.
Started fine one morning. Drove a few miles to run errands. Started fine at store and drove home. Later that afternoon went out for another ride, turned the key and nothing. I mean absolutely nothing. No FI initiation, no lights, no horn...nothing. Totally dead.
New battery last year. Put charger on it overnight. If I recall battery read 12.7V on multimeter before I tried again the next day. Again turned key ..absolutely nothing. I suspect the ignition switch just suddenly went bad. Does that make sense? Tried to figure out how to "hot wire" it...by-pass the switch to see if I can get something to light up/turn over. Started disassembling plastic and it looks like I have to go so far as to pull gas tank to get to switch plug. Have stopped at this point and looking for help/advice.
Is there something else I can try to determine if problem is switch or could it be a short or bad ground (I am more mechanically adept than electrically adept...electric stuff seems like mysterious voodoo to me sometimes...like in this case)?
Getting to point where I think I might have to take to local shop but really would like to figure this out. I know shop is backed up and I won't see my bike back for weeks maybe a month and weather is too nice not to be out riding...plus wanting to learn.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Check your battery terminal and battery and all fuse . try to jump start if you can before concluding on anything else.

Last edited by Fastoman; 07-17-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: info
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Check your battery terminal and battery and all fuse . try to jump start if you can before concluding on anything else.
Really CHECK and clean ALL your battery grounds, and use some dielectric grease on them when you finish.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Electrical 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbigboats View Post
Any help figuring out the current problem with my 2009 Versys (garage kept, 14, XXX) would be greatly appreciated.
Started fine one morning. Drove a few miles to run errands. Started fine at store and drove home. Later that afternoon went out for another ride, turned the key and nothing. I mean absolutely nothing. No FI initiation, no lights, no horn...nothing. Totally dead.
New battery last year. Put charger on it overnight. If I recall battery read 12.7V on multimeter before I tried again the next day. Again turned key ..absolutely nothing. I suspect the ignition switch just suddenly went bad. Does that make sense? Tried to figure out how to "hot wire" it...by-pass the switch to see if I can get something to light up/turn over. Started disassembling plastic and it looks like I have to go so far as to pull gas tank to get to switch plug. Have stopped at this point and looking for help/advice.
Is there something else I can try to determine if problem is switch or could it be a short or bad ground (I am more mechanically adept than electrically adept...electric stuff seems like mysterious voodoo to me sometimes...like in this case)?
Getting to point where I think I might have to take to local shop but really would like to figure this out. I know shop is backed up and I won't see my bike back for weeks maybe a month and weather is too nice not to be out riding...plus wanting to learn.
Thanks in advance
I need some specific answers, I have them listed:
#1What happens when you key on? Have a meter connected to the battery, while testing.
#2a have you ever checked your engine ground?
#2 b Have you checked the fuses, a known problem on some bikes was tight wiring around the clutch throttle cable that would lead to a short in the wiring, on the right side of the bike. Before you attempt to tear the ignition switch apart, better to test the wiring at the socket, yes this involves removing the gas tank, if you have never done this, please say so, the 098 has a plastic bung, very easily damaged if you have never removed it, I have photos in the valve shim post of How To Forum, use vaseline when putting back together and never a further problem.

#3 Have you checked the main fuse, as to starting, a common problem is the start solenoid which really only comes into play if your fuel pump and instrumentation comes on when keying on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you all for your help. I did as suggested... disconnected battery terminals and cleaned them until bright pulled every fuse ( none blown)... sprayed contact cleaner on everything as I put it back together. Nothing after cleaning terminals. Nothing after pulling and nothing after doing fuses under seat. Pulled plug and 30 amp fuse, sprayed with cleaner, put it together...and bike fired right up. Nothing looked corroded. Not sure what was wrong, maybe something loosened up or need to be reseated. For good measure after it was starting I then pulled the main ground connected to the negative on battery and cleaned and sprayed it too. Not sure exactly what/why what I did fixed it but thanks to you guys it did. Will be a bit leary for a while about it randomly happening again but all good now. Thanks again for your time and support
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you all for your help. I did as suggested... disconnected battery terminals and cleaned them until bright pulled every fuse ( none blown)... sprayed contact cleaner on everything as I put it back together. Nothing after cleaning terminals. Nothing after pulling and nothing after doing fuses under seat. Pulled plug and 30 amp fuse, sprayed with cleaner, put it together...and bike fired right up. Nothing looked corroded. Not sure what was wrong, maybe something loosened up or need to be reseated. For good measure after it was starting I then pulled the main ground connected to the negative on battery and cleaned and sprayed it too. Not sure exactly what/why what I did fixed it but thanks to you guys it did. Will be a bit leary for a while about it randomly happening again but all good now. Thanks again for your time and support
The start solenoid has been known to fail, which is located at the main fuse, have a close look at the two terminals, a early sign is one side being a darker colour.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Glad to know all is well now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode