• 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 4 Post By jpd
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fipenna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wiring for USB Charger

A couple weeks ago, I was on a longish ride, and on the way home, my phone died. So, decided it's time to do what it appears every other Versys owner has done, and install some type of charging port.

I opted for the dual USB port, with voltage meter option. But unlike some options, it appears that I have to fabricate a simple wiring harness (I understand that may be the wrong terminology, but I know nothing about wiring/electrical systems). Can anyone point me to a resource on how to do this, what I need, etc? I found this site, but he glosses over how to actually construct the harness.

Better still, can I buy one, somewhere?

[edit] Gen 3 Versys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 11.19.18 am.jpg (11.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 11.19.38 am.jpg (9.3 KB, 27 views)
HoosierFordMan likes this.

Last edited by rsherman; 07-10-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have what appears to be the same/similar gadget on my bike.
How you attach it varies from generation to generation, but to power it should be universal. I simply tapped into the city light power feed nearest to my plug for the positive terminal and went to ground for the minus. It is now a switched outlet combined with a digital volt meter. If you want unswitched power you'd probably have to mount a fuse protected power distribution block but if that is a combination meter & usb charging terminal you'd have to talk to someone with more brain power than me to figure out how to get the volt meter to only be on when running.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I have what appears to be the same/similar gadget on my bike.
How you attach it varies from generation to generation, but to power it should be universal. I simply tapped into the city light power feed nearest to my plug for the positive terminal and went to ground for the minus. It is now a switched outlet combined with a digital volt meter. If you want unswitched power you'd probably have to mount a fuse protected power distribution block but if that is a combination meter & usb charging terminal you'd have to talk to someone with more brain power than me to figure out how to get the volt meter to only be on when running.
I appreciate your taking the time to answer, but a couple things:

1. I have no idea how to tap into anything - I'm starting from zero knowledge on this. Simply tapping into the city light tells me what you did, but not how it was done. That said...

2. Posts like this (along with the link in my original post) make me think that unswitched power should be the default, and pretty easy to achieve. I might be wrong about that, of course, but regardless, what I am looking for information on how to do is actually running wires from the charger/voltmeter that I bought, into the Versys.

Again, though, thank you for taking the time to respond.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-a-Motorcycle/

This may provide you with some info on the wiring. Anything else , drop a line.

( Take the fear out of you and say you can do it.)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

Given the cost and functionality of the battery tender I can稚 see a reason to go with the dash-mounted, relay-kit required charger. Is there anything I知 missing?

I知 just curious if the USB tender is always live, does it have enough parasitic draw to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
Given the cost and functionality of the battery tender I can稚 see a reason to go with the dash-mounted, relay-kit required charger. Is there anything I知 missing?

I知 just curious if the USB tender is always live, does it have enough parasitic draw to worry about?

If the USB tender is always live , it wont drain your battery if that,s what you are worried about. But for safe wiring system always better to have a kill off system once you leave the bike.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

Thanks, but no, this isn't what I'm looking for. The Versys comes pre-wired for this type of thing, so there's no need for me to run wires to the battery. As well, it's already fused upstream.

What I need is a little wiring harness, or extension, to run from the charger, to the wires that already exist on the Gen 3 Versys for this type of accessory. Exactly what is in the picture that I am attaching here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 1.21.53 pm.jpg (20.6 KB, 28 views)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherman View Post
Thanks, but no, this isn't what I'm looking for. The Versys comes pre-wired for this type of thing, so there's no need for me to run wires to the battery. As well, it's already fused upstream.

What I need is a little wiring harness, or extension, to run from the charger, to the wires that already exist on the Gen 3 Versys for this type of accessory. Exactly what is in the picture that I am attaching here.

You should know this mod also requires the relay.

Kawasaki 15-16 Versys 650 Relay Kit 99994-0556 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYH88OC..._EYQjDbFN25H5N

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You should know this mod also requires the relay.

Kawasaki 15-16 Versys 650 Relay Kit 99994-0556 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYH88OC..._EYQjDbFN25H5N

Yes, I already have the relay.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Well, I知 assuming the age of your bike.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, I already have the relay.

Ah, missed this.

When you do this install would you mind taking some pics of it to post?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah, missed this.

When you do this install would you mind taking some pics of it to post?

I'd be happy to, although it's already pretty well documented in both of the links that I posted. I reckon once I figure out how to fabricate the extension/harness, that would add to what is already there.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'd be happy to, although it's already pretty well documented in both of the links that I posted. I reckon once I figure out how to fabricate the extension/harness, that would add to what is already there.
I tried searching for the connector but couldn't find.Yes!, You will need to fabricate the connector and keep posted please.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Looking at the back of your usb plug, you need to make your own wire harness by crimping on the spade connectors to some wire. I would use red for positive and black for the negitive. You will run and secure the new wire to the wiring already in place over to the accessory plugs on your bike. The owners manual or service manual will tell you where they are located. Then you will have to crimp on the proper connectors for the plugs. Most of the time it will be a bullet connector. Not sure on a Gen 3 bike. Search for how to crimp insulated connectors and wire size for the load that will be needed with your usb plug. (Info can be found in the series regulator how to posts )

You said that the relay is installed so your accessory connections will be switched to the key and have a fuse to protect the wiring. If you use the accessory plugs you won't have to cut/ splice into any wire.

If you haven't done wiring crimp connections before, buy some extras and practice at the work bench not on the bike.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
How To Forum

Quote:
What you need is a female bullet connector for the black negative and a male bullet connector for the red positive , I copied this from another post and wil add to all the How To Forum posts.
Bullet Terminals - Another component that you probably have a few units of, somewhere, but if not an assortment is useful. Since I wasn't quite sure of the bullet connector size, I bought a connector set for this project. It ended up being your more or less standard, 4mm diameter bullet connector. You'll need one male, and one female to connect to the motorcycle.
I have copied a really good page, disregard the prices as in Canadian dollars at Princess auto. For our purposes more than sufficient.
Three colours, yellow is 10 to 12 gauge, blue is 14 to 16 gauge, pink is 18 to 20 gauge ( depending on the # of strands of wire, some 16 gauge will fit tightly in the pink) The photos have corresponding gauge info

Added more detail here;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ux-wiring.html
jpd and rsherman like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-11-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 PM

The one I installed on mine has a SAE connector in the end of the line (close to the usb port) and connects directly to the battery terminals.

I connected the terminals to the battery and passed the cable behind the side panels, leaving the SAE connector in the empty space beside the front part of the tank and underneath the handle bar where the usb port is attached. Total installation time of about 3 minutes and as easy as a 7 year old can do (had my kid helping me on the task).

I leave the port and cable SAE connectors DISCONNECTED while I’m not using the usb, this way it doesn’t drain the battery when the bike is not in use and has a very easy manual activation. Call it a manual relay if you want..... kkkkkk

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DYE54LI..._LU2jDbQCR38EJ
rsherman likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...2. Posts like this (along with the link in my original post) make me think that unswitched power should be the default, and pretty easy to achieve....
IF you run ANYTHING in an unswitched mode - meaning ALWAYS HOT you run the risk of forgetting to turn it OFF and fully discharging your battery which AIN'T a good idea!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF you run ANYTHING in an unswitched mode - meaning ALWAYS HOT you run the risk of forgetting to turn it OFF and fully discharging your battery which AIN'T a good idea!
Turns out I misspoke, which isn't surprising, given my lack of experience in this area - it's switched at the ignition.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
What you need is a female bullet connector for the black negative and a male bullet connector for the red positive , I copied this from another post and wil add to all the How To Forum posts.
Bullet Terminals - Another component that you probably have a few units of, somewhere, but if not an assortment is useful. Since I wasn't quite sure of the bullet connector size, I bought a connector set for this project. It ended up being your more or less standard, 4mm diameter bullet connector. You'll need one male, and one female to connect to the motorcycle.
I have copied a really good page, disregard the prices as in Canadian dollars at Princess auto. For our purposes more than sufficient.
Three colours, yellow is 10 to 12 gauge, blue is 14 to 16 gauge, pink is 18 to 20 gauge ( depending on the # of strands of wire, some 16 gauge will fit tightly in the pink) The photos have corresponding gauge info

Added more detail here;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ux-wiring.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Looking at the back of your usb plug, you need to make your own wire harness by crimping on the spade connectors to some wire. I would use red for positive and black for the negitive. You will run and secure the new wire to the wiring already in place over to the accessory plugs on your bike. The owners manual or service manual will tell you where they are located. Then you will have to crimp on the proper connectors for the plugs. Most of the time it will be a bullet connector. Not sure on a Gen 3 bike. Search for how to crimp insulated connectors and wire size for the load that will be needed with your usb plug. (Info can be found in the series regulator how to posts )

You said that the relay is installed so your accessory connections will be switched to the key and have a fuse to protect the wiring. If you use the accessory plugs you won't have to cut/ splice into any wire.

If you haven't done wiring crimp connections before, buy some extras and practice at the work bench not on the bike.
This is exactly the information I was looking for - thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode