Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Wiring for USB Charger

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  rsherman 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple weeks ago, I was on a longish ride, and on the way home, my phone died. So, decided it's time to do what it appears every other Versys owner has done, and install some type of charging port.

I opted for the dual USB port, with voltage meter option. But unlike some options, it appears that I have to fabricate a simple wiring harness (I understand that may be the wrong terminology, but I know nothing about wiring/electrical systems). Can anyone point me to a resource on how to do this, what I need, etc? I found this site, but he glosses over how to actually construct the harness.

Better still, can I buy one, somewhere?

[edit] Gen 3 Versys

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have what appears to be the same/similar gadget on my bike.
How you attach it varies from generation to generation, but to power it should be universal. I simply tapped into the city light power feed nearest to my plug for the positive terminal and went to ground for the minus. It is now a switched outlet combined with a digital volt meter. If you want unswitched power you'd probably have to mount a fuse protected power distribution block but if that is a combination meter & usb charging terminal you'd have to talk to someone with more brain power than me to figure out how to get the volt meter to only be on when running.

#3 ·
I appreciate your taking the time to answer, but a couple things:

1. I have no idea how to tap into anything - I'm starting from zero knowledge on this. Simply tapping into the city light tells me what you did, but not how it was done. That said...

2. Posts like this (along with the link in my original post) make me think that unswitched power should be the default, and pretty easy to achieve. I might be wrong about that, of course, but regardless, what I am looking for information on how to do is actually running wires from the charger/voltmeter that I bought, into the Versys.

Again, though, thank you for taking the time to respond.

#5 ·
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Install-a-USB-Charger-on-a-Motorcycle/

This may provide you with some info on the wiring. Anything else , drop a line.:goodluck:

( Take the fear out of you and say you can do it.):wink2:

Given the cost and functionality of the battery tender I can’t see a reason to go with the dash-mounted, relay-kit required charger. Is there anything I’m missing?

I’m just curious if the USB tender is always live, does it have enough parasitic draw to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Looking at the back of your usb plug, you need to make your own wire harness by crimping on the spade connectors to some wire. I would use red for positive and black for the negitive. You will run and secure the new wire to the wiring already in place over to the accessory plugs on your bike. The owners manual or service manual will tell you where they are located. Then you will have to crimp on the proper connectors for the plugs. Most of the time it will be a bullet connector. Not sure on a Gen 3 bike. Search for how to crimp insulated connectors and wire size for the load that will be needed with your usb plug. (Info can be found in the series regulator how to posts )

You said that the relay is installed so your accessory connections will be switched to the key and have a fuse to protect the wiring. If you use the accessory plugs you won't have to cut/ splice into any wire.

If you haven't done wiring crimp connections before, buy some extras and practice at the work bench not on the bike.

#16 ·
The one I installed on mine has a SAE connector in the end of the line (close to the usb port) and connects directly to the battery terminals.

I connected the terminals to the battery and passed the cable behind the side panels, leaving the SAE connector in the empty space beside the front part of the tank and underneath the handle bar where the usb port is attached. Total installation time of about 3 minutes and as easy as a 7 year old can do (had my kid helping me on the task).

I leave the port and cable SAE connectors DISCONNECTED while I’m not using the usb, this way it doesn’t drain the battery when the bike is not in use and has a very easy manual activation. Call it a manual relay if you want..... kkkkkk

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DYE54LI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LU2jDbQCR38EJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.