• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Butch1581
  • 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

2018 Version Master Link

Just a little FYI, we all know a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, in Ontario Canada, it is illegal to have a clip link for a street bike, it will not pass safety if taken to a motorcycle mechanic. So the newest thing out is the screw link, patience is required as you need to take your time installing it, one big advantage is no special tools required.I own a very good chain tool designed for O Ring chain and all my chains are riveted. I am not disagreeing with anyone but I have had a clip break on my DRZ, fortunately I noticed it while lubing the chain, just one side of the clip broke. Putting a rivet link in without the proper tool and knowledge could be very dangerous. I should add that my rivet link was $9 Canadian. So the newest thing out is this and much more costly than the rivet link ( 3X), well decide for yourself, prices given are Canadian;

https://fortnine.ca/en/ek-520-srx2-connecting-link choose natural and 3 options come up: clip, rivet , screw
https://www.amazon.ca/EK-Chain-Screw.../dp/B003CKQCVQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Yep, yep and yep!!!

If I buy a vehicle and it breaks down (because this is what I have, a non-functioning vehicle) and I'm supposed to be OK with this??? This whole thing started with a crappy OEM chain that should have gotten a few more thousand miles on it.

I'll lay off the Versys bashing for now but I will post after the dealership takes care of it. I'll be bringing it down on Saturday and leaving it there until it's fixed. Which means I'll be shelling out more $$$.
My apologies if I'm ruffling feathers as it's not my intention. I cannot wait until I can get rid of this motorcycle. You all enjoy yours and, SERIOUSLY, I'm glad you all love yours and they're up and running for you.
Ride safe and enjoy.
150% on the crappy chain, like Ford and GM, everyone cuts corners. My 07 Versys had 30,000 KM on the original chain when I sold it. My 2015 the chain was garbage from day one, at 12,000 KM I scraped it, one six inch section was stretched , DID chain, ever hear of a chain exploding , DID chain, don't buy it, I went with EK chain https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...978-post7.html Twisted Throttle carries it.

As to the sprocket nut, no doubt it is a bad design , as a professional , when you are faced with what has been known as a challenge, you take a close look. Just like when you have a bolt that is almost 100% seized in a blind hole, if you have movement then it gets tight, you don't apply more force, you start applying a lube and or heat, applying WD40 or something similar, letting it soak, working backwards and forwards, you eventually get it out.
If you look closely the sprocket nut already has chamfer corners, a six point socket is meant to drive on the flats, a good impact socket will have rounded corners, that nut lacks sufficient surface area for the force that it is torqued to, there is a reason, the last thing you want is to replace the splined shaft.

Believe it or not but impact sockets are all six point and a set is usually cheaper than a regular socket set. Here is a set for $25 And a word of advice, never use a regular 12 point socket with a air impact or electric impact, I have seen them ( 12 point socket) explode, dam near killed a guy, what I am saying is, it is dangerous and very unprofessional
10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm, 30mm, 32mm

https://www.harborfreight.com/13-pc-...set-69279.html

Thought of a comparison with my car, a 2005 CE Toyota Sienna AWD, yup, came with runflats , try finding a place that can change a tire on a alloy rim, yes, in desperation I went to Canadian tire, fortunately the service manager stepped in and told the kid that was almost succeeding in destroying my alloy rim, that to stop, and for me to go somewhere else. I went to a tire dealer that changed these tires, it takes two people and a very special machine to change 1 tire, worth $400, Toyota replaced them under warranty, next time they wore out I replaced them with regular tires and got a full size spare. The reason was the AWD didn't have room for a spare and be able to fold the seats down, so if I want a sheet of plywood, I take the middle two seats out, and take my spare out and ratchet tie it down using the middle seat in floor mounts.

This forum is one of the most active I know of, I can only speak for myself, 90% of advice given is from my own experience or from advice given to me by others and I followed that advice. Many times I leave specifics out such as never use a 12 point with a impact, because I am a multi-trade person and have been there and done that. Try getting called in at 11PM on a 100 HP motor with bearing failure and you can't get the drive coupling off, you are by yourself and need to use heat and the impact on the 3 jaw puller, you get it moving about a inch and the pullers come off. Yes now you need to let things cool down and start over, the next time you put a visegrip chain wrench around the pullers to keep the jaws in place. Try removing four 3/8 silicone bronze bolt, fastening a 1/4 by 4 inch copper buss , bolted between several 1/4 by 12 inch copper buss with a 1 1/8 inch gap between, lots of patience , professional long open and box end wrenches.

Anyway most of us take the time and effort to try and help others, rarely is a post ignored, responding to your posts, at times can be intimidating, and yet I still respond, as maybe someone else may learn from this.

BTW , even I take things to the dealer , glad I did with the Sienna, drive shaft was over $2000 , had a aftermarket rebuilt installed, about 2 months over a year I noticed a vibration at above 100 KM/HR, thought it was the multifit rims ( scraped those rims and got the proper hub-centric rims ) with the snow tires, when I put the summer tires on it was still there. My excellent dealer said they could get the U joints for the front part, they replaced it for like $200, I came back as it was worse, in the end they called me and said it would take another day, they replaced the whole drive shaft at their cost , the one I had originally installed over a year ago was a aftermarket something like $1100. That is customer service. No way I was putting it up on ramps and jacking the rear up, and it would have cost me $1100 , not $200 what I paid, plus they washed the car after
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:45 PM

I have 4,800mi on my 2016 versys and I noticed the other day when lubing my chain there is one link that is stiff. I actually noticed it while the chain was sliding through my hand (in a rag). I have been real good about lubing and cleaning my chain and wondering if anyone else has had anything similar? I know the OEM Chain and sprockets are supposed to last a long time if taken care of. I have used WD40 like i have for my other bikes where ive gotten 10,000-15,000miles out of a chain with no stiff links or binding. I tried working the link a little but it didn't loosen up. I'm getting new tires Monday so I will take a closed look when it has more play in it with the wheel off. Should I even be worried about it, or should I just replace it right away? Thanks

Also while looking for a replacement chain I went to RMATV as usual and priced up the Primary Drive X-ring chain that I have used on both my KLR and my KTM 450exc with zero issues and have gotten great mileage out of these chains. Only potential issue I see is the clip master link instead of rivit. Are the clip master links ok to use on the versys? I would think it would be fine considering it's still only a 650 and it will not see the off-road abuse that my KLR and KTM have seen, but wanted to get some opinions.

Last edited by Butch1581; 07-03-2019 at 05:54 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 PM

That's very early for a chain to need replacement, assuming its been properly cared for. Is the bike still under warranty? As for the master link, I grew up riding on clip-type links so I personally wouldn't be concerned about using a clip on a Versys 650, but you've got to make sure it's installed correctly. However, I've used rivet master links since the 1990s since they are more secure and I have the proper tool to install them, so why not? BTW, WD-40 isn't the best thing to use for lubing an o-ring or x-ring chain according to several chain manufacturers. I take no position on that since I've never used it on a chain. To me, WD-40 is a solvent, not a lube.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

Last edited by Doug Just Doug; 07-05-2019 at 08:34 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

On my '08 V650 I got somewhere OVER 55K miles on the OEM chain lubed ONLY w/ WD40, while my Gen 3 chain lubed ONLY w/ WD40 TOO was "toast" at 23K kms (14,300 miles), so I believe that the quality of chains they supply OEM NOW are 'crap' compared w/ the Gen 1 chains.

When I had to put a chain w/ a clip-style master on one of my bikes, I used my chain tool to "pein" the ends of the two pins - sort of SEMI riveting it. It's lasted very well.
jaaklucas likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Bike is about a week out of warranty. I based my WD40 usage on the below info and have had great success with it on my KLR, but I know chain lube is a touchy subject. As far as the clip master link, I have no problem using a rivit style but the primary drive brand does not offer it. Maybe I will have to try another brand. I'm hoping my stock chain is ok yet, I don't understand how it could be getting a stiff link already. Interesting on your short lifespan of chain on the GEN3 versys the GEN1. Again, appreciate the feedback.
http://watt-man.com/uploads/WD40experiment.pdf

Last edited by Butch1581; 07-04-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch1581 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Bike is about a week out of warranty. I based my WD40 usage on the below info and have had great success with it on my KLR, but I know chain lube is a touchy subject. As far as the clip master link, I have no problem using a rivit style but the primary drive brand does not offer it. Maybe I will have to try another brand. I'm hoping my stock chain is ok yet, I don't understand how it could be getting a stiff link already. Interesting on your short lifespan of chain on the GEN3 versys the GEN1. Again, appreciate the feedback.
http://watt-man.com/uploads/WD40experiment.pdf
Bill Watson is the fellow that suggested (a LONG time ago...) that I try using WD40 ONLY on my chains. Had a KLR that I got a LONG chain life on, too, using WD40.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Copied 2 posts

You will see that I copied two posts, so they display by date posted, hence being at the start of this thread, if you wish I can move everything to a new thread and just put the links in with this post. The main reason is that the new EK-SRX2 chain comes with a twist off screw type link, equal to a rivet link but no special tools needed.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:40 PM

That screw type link looks cool, doesn't look like they make it for the XSO chain though which is what I just ordered. Hopefully the rivit tool I bought works ok, it was cheap from Amazon as well.

RK Racing Chain 520XSO-114 114-Links X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XAXFH8..._0T.hDbSN4PJ5F
onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:52 AM
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Just a little FYI, we all know a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, in Ontario Canada, it is illegal to have a clip link for a street bike, it will not pass safety if taken to a motorcycle mechanic. So the newest thing out is the screw link, patience is required as you need to take your time installing it, one big advantage is no special tools required.I own a very good chain tool designed for O Ring chain and all my chains are riveted. I am not disagreeing with anyone but I have had a clip break on my DRZ, fortunately I noticed it while lubing the chain, just one side of the clip broke. Putting a rivet link in without the proper tool and knowledge could be very dangerous. I should add that my rivet link was $9 Canadian. So the newest thing out is this and much more costly than the rivet link ( 3X), well decide for yourself, prices given are Canadian;

https://fortnine.ca/en/ek-520-srx2-connecting-link choose natural and 3 options come up: clip, rivet , screw
https://www.amazon.ca/EK-Chain-Screw.../dp/B003CKQCVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBSxjwyc9Zw
I just had my chain and both sprockets changed (18,000 kms) while on a trip to the East Coast. It was done at the Kawi dealer in Moncton New Brunswick (G Bourque) and now my chain has a clip link in it. I'm in Ontario. So this is illegal?

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
I just had my chain and both sprockets changed (18,000 kms) while on a trip to the East Coast. It was done at the Kawi dealer in Moncton New Brunswick (G Bourque) and now my chain has a clip link in it. I'm in Ontario. So this is illegal?

Technically yes. The reality is that chains have advanced while the laws havenít. Iíve run clip masters for a while now without issue. I donít buy cheap chains though. I visually inspect them when I service the bike (weekly).

Should you be concerned with getting stopped and having your bike sent for inspection? No. When was the last time you were stopped by police when on your bike? And then had the officer perform more than a basic visual check (lights work, valid tag, nothing obviously wrong)? If you were selling your bike, it might be an issue if the mechanic was good, but when was the last time you found one of those?

Just make sure to have lots of slack in the chain when you check it, or check for some slack with the suspension compressed until the sprockets and pivot are in line.
onewizard likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
Like Dave just said, find a mechanic that knows, better yet find a cop that knows. I tried searching but couldn't find it, comes under safety , there was a clause about dual sport and riding on the highway, but I don't remember the specifics.
16VGTIDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode