Inflating tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
BWM

Inflating tires

Hi all, I’m 500 miles into my first riding season. I thought I’d check the tire pressure and add air as needed. I have a flexible tire gauge so that wasn’t a big struggle. But using the air pump at the gas station was impossible. Any tips for a new rider wanting to stay on top of tire pressure? Should I pick up one of these adapters to bring with me when I plan to pump up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B4EC8D1A-F034-493B-B408-E7A94DBCD2D9_1561222400805.jpg (4.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 839E775D-8D74-4E40-AFFC-3904DDCDA73E_1561222413058.jpg (6.8 KB, 23 views)
rsherman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:36 PM

Garage
I carry around one of the angled adapters on the bike. But on my last 3 bikes when i do the first tire change i have these installed.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Black...72.m2749.l2649 First 2 times i went with the Kurvy Gurl units at $28.00 a pair. On my V-1000 i went with the eBay cheapies and they work just as well..

P1020239 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

I installed aluminum 90 degree valves to make it easier to check/inflate my tires, but each ride I check the tires as truckers do - by hitting them w/ a mallet, on the tread.

Before doing that the FIRST time, I took the pressures way down, hit them, then reinflated to the correct pressure and hit them again so I had some "muscle-memory" of what I was looking for.

FWIW - the first 90 degree valves I put in were similar to that 90 degree 'extension' in your first image, but included the rubber part that goes thru, then "seats" in the hole in the rim. I DO NOT recommend them, as somehow they were able to move enough to flatten my tire, probably from centrifugal force, WHILE I was riding.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:07 PM

I carry a 12V pump, but when I'm home just topping off a few psi I break out my floor-standing bicycle pump.
JimK and rsherman like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:27 AM

this pump fits under the seat of a versys 650 gen 3 without mods:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...4817p.html#srp

I use a towel for removing the rattle of course, wrapping tire plugs and both tools (file and inserter), pen type air gauge, knife to cut the plug, some safety wire and a stick of jb weld..)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Don,t understand as to why you cant inflate your tires in Gas station. anyway I inflate mine at gas station and check pressure with my own gauge as i don,t trust the reading at gas station.

You can get one of these for accurate pressure setting.
https://www.tyre-equipment.co.uk/fit.../michelin.html.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Don,t understand as to why you cant inflate your tires in Gas station. anyway I inflate mine at gas station and check pressure with my own gauge as i don,t trust the reading at gas station....
Over here in the US and Canada - MANY 'service' stations DO NOT have compressors for the public, and that might be due to liability issues. Plus, by the time you get to a place w/ a compressor your tires have already warmed-up, so you're NOT getting a really good idea of your pressures.

Fastoman likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:46 PM

The problem is when you get a nail or something and you lose pressure... far away from any compressed air source.

Versys 2015 Green
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
The problem is when you get a nail or something and you lose pressure... far away from any compressed air source.

Expensive but worth every penny....You can now get them with a 90 degree chuck...https://www.amazon.com/CyclePump-EXP...gateway&sr=8-9

Regular chuck.....https://www.amazon.com/CyclePump-EXP...ateway&sr=8-11

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
onewizard, chid and Jay_Chicago like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=weljo2001;1621745]Expensive but worth every penny....You can now get them with a 90 degree chuck...https://www.amazon.com/CyclePump-EXP...gateway&sr=8-9

Regular chuck.....https://www.amazon.com/CyclePump-EXP...ateway&sr=8-11
/QUOTE]

That's great, but look at the price on Canadian Amazon :O:O 358CAD :O
https://www.amazon.ca/CyclePump-EXPE...gateway&sr=8-1

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Over here in the US and Canada - MANY 'service' stations DO NOT have compressors for the public, and that might be due to liability issues. Plus, by the time you get to a place w/ a compressor your tires have already warmed-up, so you're NOT getting a really good idea of your pressures.

Noted. Here we have air supply at every station, but the problem is that the gauges are not calibrated and its user,s risk - no consumer law. whatever the case, i do carry a mini compressor and tire kit all the time in my bike.

anyway., thanks for the update.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I carry a 12V pump, but when I'm home just topping off a few psi I break out my floor-standing bicycle pump.
Exactly the same here.

Also dittos on installing a 90 degree metal valve when doing the next tire change. Unless you love your tires right now, go ahead and swap to better tires! There's no reason to ride around on crappy tires. You can sell them to help offset the price of new rubber that will inspire a lot more confidence.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Don,t understand as to why you cant inflate your tires in Gas station. anyway I inflate mine at gas station and check pressure with my own gauge as i don,t trust the reading at gas station.

You can get one of these for accurate pressure setting.
https://www.tyre-equipment.co.uk/fit.../michelin.html.
I agree with what Fast Eddie said - my friend broke is hand using a gas station air compressor that blew itself apart and of course the gas stations are liable here. But I think OP's actual issue is that many of the gas station compressors use certain types of inflation devices that are nearly impossible to get in between motorcycle rotors to fit onto standard valve stems, like this:

Fastoman likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:02 PM

It's been 10 years I don't stop at a gas station to inflate my tires. I have my own stuff in my garage, car and bike.
I carry one of these in my versys' bags: https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Portab...%2C176&sr=8-23
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I carry around one of the angled adapters on the bike. But on my last 3 bikes when i do the first tire change i have these installed.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Black...72.m2749.l2649 First 2 times i went with the Kurvy Gurl units at $28.00 a pair. On my V-1000 i went with the eBay cheapies and they work just as well..

P1020239 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thanks for this suggestion. I just ordered them off Ebay in red to help with a quick observance. Early today I had just done a pressure check and fill and was really ticked off again at having a hard time using a tire gage and my tire pump won`t connect so I do use my bike pump.
weljo2001 likes this.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Thanks for this suggestion. I just ordered them off Ebay in red to help with a quick observance. Early today I had just done a pressure check and fill and was really ticked off again at having a hard time using a tire gage and my tire pump won`t connect so I do use my bike pump.
I've always used a standing bicycle pump on my motorcycle tires. That said, I've had a helluva time connecting my bicycle pump valve to the bike's valve stem due to the double rotors. I was not successful, but since others here have said they've done this with no problem, I'm willing to give it another shot. I always prefer doing this at home than going to a gas station.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I have the same 90 degree valves on my two Vs.

-
leftbrain99 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Garage
Woops , I didn`t check close enough. I thought these just screwed on to the original valve stems. Didn`t notice they replaced them entirely.If the time comes when I need a new tire I would have it replaced and the new stem put on at the same time, but that could be awhile away.

]
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:55 AM

Garage
PS , I bought a set of the ones BWM posted in the picture on the left. Might take a couple weeks to get here, but like I said earlier I just did a check and fill so no hurry.

]
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

90' Valve stems

I followed Joe's advice, first I checked with my local tire dealer, they had 90' valve stems for Gold-wings, so I bought them off Ebay, once they came in I changed to PR-5 and had the ones I bought installed, absolutely love them, pointed towards the right side of the bike. Now there is a simple improvement Kawasaki could make.

Rear

Front

weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-27-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode