defective regulator/rectifier? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
defective regulator/rectifier?

Ok, here goes. Last weekend my V developed a charging problem like many other post about this issue plenty of power to run everything while the bike is running but, the battery is not receiving the correct charge. So far I have purchased a new battery and a multimeter. I checked the battery and got 12.84V. I pulled the regulator/rectifier off and used my new multimeter got the following readings starting from the left and checking per the instructions in the manual. The meter used is an automotive type from innova model 3320. left 5.28 and o.l. middle set o.l. and o.l. finally on the right 5.34 and o.l. All of the readings were taken with the meter set to ohms. If I understand the manual correctly if any of the readings are the same in both directions the R/R is bad. I only write this post because I know very little about electrical other than it hurts when it passes through your body and it makes a pretty spectacular light show when not hooked up properly. Not to mention I really don't want to replace something that isn't broken. On a side note it appears that someone laid the bike down on the left side and rode it like a sled prior to me buying it. There is a rather large area on the alternator cover that is scratched up could this have damaged the stator as well? When I bought the bike the fella I bought it from verbally listed a bunch of things that were replaced by him. I can't remember if the stator was included in that list of new parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
Ok, here goes. Last weekend my V developed a charging problem like many other post about this issue plenty of power to run everything while the bike is running but, the battery is not receiving the correct charge. So far I have purchased a new battery and a multimeter. I checked the battery and got 12.84V. I pulled the regulator/rectifier off and used my new multimeter got the following readings starting from the left and checking per the instructions in the manual. The meter used is an automotive type from innova model 3320. left 5.28 and o.l. middle set o.l. and o.l. finally on the right 5.34 and o.l. All of the readings were taken with the meter set to ohms. If I understand the manual correctly if any of the readings are the same in both directions the R/R is bad. I only write this post because I know very little about electrical other than it hurts when it passes through your body and it makes a pretty spectacular light show when not hooked up properly. Not to mention I really don't want to replace something that isn't broken. On a side note it appears that someone laid the bike down on the left side and rode it like a sled prior to me buying it. There is a rather large area on the alternator cover that is scratched up could this have damaged the stator as well? When I bought the bike the fella I bought it from verbally listed a bunch of things that were replaced by him. I can't remember if the stator was included in that list of new parts.
You haven't posted very much info, this has been discussed in previous posts, start here, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=16774&page=7
if you get confused ask away, you are ahead of the game with a meter
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am not an electrician by any means, I butcher wood for a living. That being said I am a little intimidated and confused by the electrical system on my V. I really don't quite know the correct terminology or the correct information to provide to anyone on the forum that would be willing to point me in the right direction. I would like to thank anyone in advance for any help that is given.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
I am not an electrician by any means, I butcher wood for a living. That being said I am a little intimidated and confused by the electrical system on my V. I really don't quite know the correct terminology or the correct information to provide to anyone on the forum that would be willing to point me in the right direction. I would like to thank anyone in advance for any help that is given.
First, does your headlight come on after starting the bike? If yes I need you to measure the voltage at the battery at idle, next measure with the high beam on, last measure with high beam at 4000 rpm, it is possible that the fan will come on while doing this testing, if it does, note that voltage too.
I assume you have checked your connections on your battery, frame ground which is beside cpu. BTW if your meter has a diode test on ohms, that is what you should be using , I haven't looked at the manual lately, but when checking electronics, diode test gives a more accurate reading as it uses a higher test voltage.
Also read
read my posts #192 #193 other post by others on that page refers to compufire regulator
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...960#post225960

Also read post 136 http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...156#post223156

Last edited by onewizard; 02-03-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode