Constant speed juddering - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul Pearse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Constant speed juddering

Ok so new to this bike and love riding it but canít seem to stop the juddering when try to maintain a constant speed of 30mph.
Iíve read that keeping the revs high in which ever gear Iím in helps but Iím still getting a lot of juddering.
As the bike is only 8month old would this problem be solved if I took it to Kawasaki for remapping or is there anything I can get like a power commander or a simply fuel/air ratio sensor which is available from eBay for £80.

Thanks.

Be safe be lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 AM

Garage
Paul

1) Which bike?

2) What RPMs?

Welcome

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Itís 2018 650 grand tourer.

Running around town at about 30 mph and itís keeps juddering.

Maybe itís just my riding style I have to chance as Iíve been used to riding gpz turbo for passed 29yrs.

Any help gratefully received.

Be safe be lucky.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Garage
What gear are you in at 30 MPH? More directly, what engine RPM? 3000 and under should be considered too low and avoided. 4000 to 6000 is the range for ďdaily operationĒ such as around town riding. 6000 and above is for evasive maneuvers and inducing grins.

Iíve heard it suggested that a good general rule for choosing a gear on our bikes is the gear x 10 = minimum MPH. e.g. 3rd gear x 10 = 30 MPH MINIMUM road speed.

Too low an RPM will harm the engine more than keeping the revs up. Much more.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pearse View Post

Maybe itís just my riding style I have to chance as Iíve been used to riding gpz turbo for passed 29yrs.

That is the nature of the beast. Keeping rev high helps, but the only real fix is to have the ECU reflashed at :
https://sites.google.com/site/shooda...-650-ecu-flash

Jayô
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM

This is why Steve developed the ECU flash for the 2015/2016. The factory program does exactly what you describe. However I don't believe he has a flash for the 2018.

One cheat is to adjust the throttle position sensor to a more "open" setting. The ECU thinks you are asking for more power, so it sends a bit more fuel. But with the O2 sensor feedback I am not sure this does much for the Gen 3 (2015+) bikes.

So the other cheat is to get an O2 sensor plug. This is a resistor in a connector that plugs into the harness instead of the O2 sensor. It tells the ECU that the mixture is perfect. So you can advance the TPS and it will give you a richer mixture.

I had a plastic vacuum line cracked on my bike, probably from the factory. It caused significant jerkiness. This was not a regular thick rubber vacuum hose, it was a thin walled shiny plastic line that came up to a sensor that hangs on the left side of the gas tank, under the left plastic fairing. I replaced it with regular rubber vacuum hose.

Prior to getting my ECU flashed, the engine had a lot of jerkiness in the 2800-3500 rpm range. This is unfortunately normal for the Gen 3 factory programming.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:21 AM

As is mentioned above, this is a Generation 3 characteristic that can be fixed with ECU Flashing. Before this solution came along many of us tried many different way to live with the low speed hesitation and on/off engine braking which unfortunately is common on many fuel injected motorcycles.

I did the shoodeben engineering ECU flash on my 2016 and it's made a stunning difference. Check out this thread:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1616059

In the case of your 2018, a ECU flash is available from Dynoworks. Check out Bigkev's post #86 on this thread.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pearse View Post

Try and improve your riding style before even thinking of remapping the ECU. Take a long riding and hold steady on speed/gears, find the sweat spot and the bike will come to you. It takes time and patience.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

A huge Thankyou to all those of you who have posted, Iíve been out on the bike again today and have come to the conclusion that it is mostly my riding style that was the problem.
I was riding at 30mph in third gear and thinking the engine noise was what I was used to hearing but the bike was juddering all over the place looked down at the revs and they where around 2800, once I started to build the revs up to 3400 it all felt a lot better(all be it a bit louder).
I didnít find any issues with the bike handling at 40/50/60/70/80/85mph, I also found that I needed to change down the gears a lot more often than what I had been used too riding a four cylinder turbo charged bike with EFI.

Thanks again.
quexpress likes this.

Be safe be lucky.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:54 PM

Sounds about normal for a Gen 3 then. Most people will just adjust their riding style to accommodate the engine characteristics, like Fastoman says. But, just for comparison If you someday decide to do the ECU update, your bike would accelerate cleanly, without shuddering from 2000 rpm's, and when you back off the throttle, you don't get any sudden engine braking. The herky, jerky goes away
AND you don't have to "change down the gears a lot"!

Last edited by Buffalo_Bob; 06-14-2019 at 08:56 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for your advice.

There is a dynotune/ remapping service quite near to me so might look at that when itís do itís service as itís in the same shop.

Cheers.

Be safe be lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode