Front Sprocket - rubber OEM vs all steel - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Front Sprocket - rubber OEM vs all steel

I see conflicting posts about the effectiveness of the rubber damped front sprocket. Has anyone compared an all-steel front sprocket with the OEM rubber damped sprocket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

ALL three of my V650s had a rubber-damped sprocket from the factory, but in EVERY case I replaced it w/ a non-damped steel sprocket when it was time to change, and I've NOT EVER seen (or heard...) any reason to do something else.
jaaklucas likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
I wish I had stayed with the rubber-damped. My riding buddy could hear my chain through the SENA bluetooth headsets more than I could hear it with my ear plugs installed.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Garage
I think that the rubber damping absorbs some shock to the transmission output and drivetrain when 1st gear is engaged- that clunk- plus sudden bursts of power when the rider is feeling frisky and downshifts at a touch too high rpm.

An opportune time to post the thread: I picked up a new OEM front sprocket yesterday, a 16T fits the Ninja 650 and the Versys 650. It is top-drawer quality and I expect that it, along with a new rear sprocket and X ring chain will last a very long time with regular maintenance.

I bought it from McKees in Delhi, a good price, friendly people and it's nice to contribute something to the brick and mortar places that we'll all lament when they're gone.
onewizard and Skypilot 69 like this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
The rubber reduces chain noise when cruising under light engine load. The rubber will compress under load, and the chain noise increases noticeably. I’ve run both types of sprockets and could hear when the rubber damped sprocket was working.

I just replaced chain and sprockets again (don’t waste your $ on a JT Sprockets chain!) and the new EK chain is quiet on the new JT steel sprockets.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Interesting, we have the same variety of experiences on the V here as other brands report elsewhere.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:50 PM

Garage
I am amazed that riders can hear the chain. After decades of rock 'n roll plus mechanical noise damage, I'm lucky to hear myself fart.
onewizard, Fastoman and Kevinj like this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 AM

I just went with the OEM sprocket because it seems to be the highest quality one you can get, I've heard too many horror stories of aftermarket front sprockets stripping out teeth or even splines.

I am currently running OEM front, Vortex steel sprocket in the rear and DID x-ring chain all in the stock size because I live at 6000ft and ride in the mountains all the time, I would consider gearing down, but it's already turning 6400rpm @80mph
Fastoman likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

After 60k Km still with OEM front sprocket w/ rubber damper.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...After decades of rock 'n roll plus mechanical noise damage, I'm lucky to hear myself fart.
Me TOO, but I just watch to see whether anyone starts "wrinkling" his nose, and retching....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
After 60k Km still with OEM front sprocket w/ rubber damper.
If I was you, I would take a VERY GOOD look at it, checking for 'hooked' teeth, among other things. MY experience has been that they MIGHT be 'good' for about 18,000 miles (29K kms), but NOT for 60k Kms!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Me TOO, but I just watch to see whether anyone starts "wrinkling" his nose, and retching....

Reminds me of that old saw: why do farts smell? for the benefit of the deaf. (with apologies to Todd)

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Garage
Here's a scan of the high-quality Kawasaki front sprocket and, yes, it is a 16T from the Ninja 650.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprocket021.jpg (36.1 KB, 26 views)
onewizard likes this.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 AM

Garage
I finally got the front sprocket removed. The DPO had it torqued down as tight as the factory sprockets. I had to truck it to my auto mechanic as my air compressor is limited to 90psi. It took him quite a few 'bursts' of his impact gun to free it.

I'm undecided on the torque I will use. The factory recommended or less torque?

The DPO had a cheap sprocket on it and also over- crimped the master rivet link. It, along with a few other links was seized.

Here is a scan of the damaged sprocket. It's from the back side so I flipped it. Note the uneven wear to the teeth and the unusual pattern where the black finish is worn shiny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SprocketUsed024.jpg (37.1 KB, 23 views)
onewizard likes this.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Garage
Question for those who have replaced the front sprocket: what torque setting did you use for new sprocket? The manual spec 92 ft/lb or other?

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Question for those who have replaced the front sprocket: what torque setting did you use for new sprocket? The manual spec 92 ft/lb or other?
We had a long discussion about this months ago, for myself, 90 ft/lbs is more than enough. I use the deep 12mm socket ( plus a rag to hold in place) to tighten, same as loosening.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
We had a long discussion about this months ago, for myself, 90 ft/lbs is more than enough. I use the deep 12mm socket ( plus a rag to hold in place) to tighten, same as loosening.
Thanks. I was thinking along those same lines- 90ft/lb maximum. I had the same problem with a Norton- over-torqued. The bike was half-way stripped with only the rear wheel and chain still attached. It was sitting on a stand in the back room of my house, no way to move it. I had a buddy in the tire business who offered to help. He brought his service truck here and fed a long air hose into the house. He could not believe how tight it was put on at the factory. Same arrangement with a bent-over locking washer.

As he said (he's also a rider), "have you ever heard of a front sprocket coming loose?" Me neither.
onewizard likes this.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 AM

I replaced my OEM front sprocket with a straight steel one last chain I put on at 50,000K. I dont wear earplugs and cant say that I hear anything that is too different. Maybe a bit of a turbine-like whine when i open it up but its not an objectionable sound!
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm going to use the factory spec. 122 ft lbs? But I will use the moly-oil lube on the threads to make it easier to remove next time.

FWIW I was pretty easily able to loosen the sprocket nut using an electric impact wrench. The Porter-Cable PCE211 7.5 Amp 1/2" Impact Wrench, cost about $75. It appears to be the same unit carrying different brands. I picked it over the Harbor Freight unit because of the 3 year warranty from Porter-Cable.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My Gen 3 SERVICE MANUAL calls for 122 '/# so that's what I use, SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than the factory does!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode