Versys hasn't ran for 4 years - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Versys hasn't ran for 4 years

Hello all!

So almost 4 years ago I had a minor accident on the bike. The bike still ran at that time and I planned to keep riding, but it never happened. I ended up parking the bike in the garage and it has sat there all this time. I also did not prep it for sitting for a long time. (No stabilizer, nothing disconnected, nothing drained, etc.)

So now I am finally planning on getting back on the bike and riding. However, I have no clue what I need to do in order to get her running again. If possible, could y'all help me in getting her running again by telling me what I should do?

Where should I start? What should I check? What should I replace? What threads should I read on here? What tech tips? What about a manual? Is there anything else y'all can think of? I really appreciate any and all help!

I have a 2009 versys 650 that is all stock.

Also, sorry if this is hard to read. I am using a smartphone to compose this message. Thanks.

-Bill

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Garage
Pull the battery and put it on a charger.

Drain the fuel.

Put in fresh fuel with some star tron fuel enzyme treatment

Put the battery back in and see if it will fire up. If it does, catch up on all the maintenance items that have been neglected.

Change the oil and filter, change the coolant, change the brake fluid, clean and lube the chain, etc.

If it doesn't start but turned over then check for spark and fuel.

Good luck

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:23 PM

Rubber stuff will need to be replaced most likely, as will all fluids. So, rebuild the brakes. New lines and new rubber o-ring seals in the calipers. It is quite simple. Drain the fluid first, then replace the parts. Then refill with fresh fluid and bleed the air out. Replace the coolant. I would replace the coolant system hoses too. Also very easy to do. And an oil/filter change.

Before starting you could pre-oil the cylinders. Pull the spark plugs and squirt light oil into the cylinders, then crank the engine with the plugs removed. You could roll the bike slowly in gear rather than use the electric starter to do this. If moisture has been in the cylinders there can be some rust. At the very least the cylinder walls will be bone dry of any lubricant. I would do this if it were my bike.

The battery will need charging and possibly replacement.

Tires do get dried out. Inspect them carefully for cracks or bulges. If it were me I would replace the tires very soon. Dried out tires are hard and have poor traction.

Inspect everything for smooth operation. Brake levers, wheel bearings, headset bearings.

The fuel should be replaced.
Fastoman and Skypilot 69 like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...or-over-a-year.

Some useful info here. Try and crank the motor from the starter to spread oil to all moving parts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 AM

priorities from 1 (low) to 5 (high):

--- before starting -----

(5) First and foremost, battery is likely dead and damaged. I wouldn't even waste time charging it. You would be under the illusion that it works. I wouldn't trust one.

(4) Remove old fuel and change to fresh fuel. My biggest concern would be that despite having 43 PSI pressure in the injectors, they may be clogged. I would not worry about spark plugs. Start without touching the throttle. If it doesn't want to, start with wide-open-throttle (to signal ecu you are trying to unflood it). If nothing works, if injectors are clogged, I can only guess what to do next...

--- after starting ----

(4) brake pads and disk: make sure you don't have a major rust cancer on the disks (one that doesn't go away after the pads are tried to rub off the minor top layer). A thorough inspection of the calipers (all moving parts) is required. The sliding pin might be jammed.

(3) engine oil change: here it's not going to prevent starting, but you would obviously change it anyway right?

(2) brake fluid: 4 years is not a lot. It's the service time that's all. Better safe than sorry.

(1) tires: they will be ok, they won't "explode", but may have lost some grip. I ran on a 16 years old tire for an emergency change on a trip. It was fine, but I was told to expect less than optimal grip. I finished using it all anyway. So I wouldn't recommend changing tires, not worth it.

(?) coolant, fork oil: I don't have a clue what could have gone wrong in 4 years unused. Coolant/forks are in a closed system and you didn't add mileage. So, you be the judge. About forks: check they are still shiny and that the seals don't leak.

Needless to say, a typical inspection wouldn't hurt, bolts are easy to check. Cables easy to lube.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode