Strange double "clonk" sound when shifting down - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Strange double "clonk" sound when shifting down

Hi everyone, 2 months ago I've installed a center stand, and from then I have a strange double clonk sound when I switch down, from 3 to 2nd for example.
Because of the center stand installation, the shifter came a bit on the outside of the bike (I don't know how to explain it). I also did the oil change and the Oil level is at Max level.
Another thing would be that the chain is touching the central stand mount when I am not on the bike... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Ovi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:31 AM

If the chain is touching anything but the sprockets and swingarm guard, you have a major problem! Either you be really careful about chain tension (which is not going to be enough when the chain will wear unevenly), or you get rid of that center stand.

If the chain is not touching, that may just be a weak spring holding the stand up, which let it bounce when the bike jerks from weight shifting.

(I honestly think centerstands are way, WAY overrated. You need stands at home, not on the bike. Are you actually going to remove the wheel at home or on the road? For what, change tires yourself? Is the bulk, the weight, the uglyness worth carrying around all the time just for a rare maintenance done at home or by the shop? Or even worst, just for storage? Don't worry, this is my last post bashing centerstands. I done trying to help these guys :-) )
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I partly agree with you about the center stand, and my reason for installing one is that I live in a small flat and, sadly, don't have any place for a home center stand
I want to the maintenance (chain, oil, etc) by myself and it is easier for me with the center stand.
I will check if the springs on the center stand are ok, but how can I check if the chain is touching the center stand while I am on the bike moving?
I've attached some pictures maybe you can give me some opinions (the bike is a bit dirty, but we have a couple of rainy weeks, so don't judge:P)

Thanks a lot for the help!

Ovi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 09.12.18 (2).jpg (17.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 09.12.17 (1).jpg (21.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 09.12.18 (1).jpg (28.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 09.12.16.jpg (26.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 09.12.17.jpg (27.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 09.12.18.jpg (23.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 09.12.17 (2).jpg (22.2 KB, 22 views)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Check your chain slack first. Take a ride and see if you still get the noise. I am pretty sure from your pictures, the chain in touching the stand.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I think the chain slack is the issue.
I did some research and I also found this post:
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...tml#post215926
"I had begun to notice a metallic "slapping" noise on downshifting" ...
I think this is the case also for me ... I hope at least.

Thanks all for the info

BR,
Ovi
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
If the chain is touching anything but the sprockets and swingarm guard, you have a major problem! Either you be really careful about chain tension (which is not going to be enough when the chain will wear unevenly), or you get rid of that center stand.

If the chain is not touching, that may just be a weak spring holding the stand up, which let it bounce when the bike jerks from weight shifting.

(I honestly think centerstands are way, WAY overrated. You need stands at home, not on the bike. Are you actually going to remove the wheel at home or on the road? For what, change tires yourself? Is the bulk, the weight, the uglyness worth carrying around all the time just for a rare maintenance done at home or by the shop? Or even worst, just for storage? Don't worry, this is my last post bashing centerstands. I done trying to help these guys :-) )
As long as the centerstand does not interfere with riding the bike I like to have them. My sport touring bikes came with them, and my Himalayan came with one. The Himalayan is the first chain bike I've had that came with one. Sure makes it easy to clean, lube and adjust the chain will on a trip. How do you clean, lube and adjust he chain when you are on a trip?

I have not found the need to spend the money to add a centerstand on a bike not designed to have a centerstand, but I will say that cleaning and lubing the chain on a trip was a PITA.
quexpress likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidiu.samfirescu View Post
...I've attached some pictures maybe you can give me some opinions (the bike is a bit dirty, but we have a couple of rainy weeks, so don't judge:P)....
Can you re-take your pic #6, but focus on the chain where it is close to the foot of your stand (a BIT further right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...I have not found the need to spend the money to add a centerstand on a bike not designed to have a centerstand, but I will say that cleaning and lubing the chain on a trip was a PITA.
A 7" piece of two-sided VELCRO (holds the front brake so the V doesn't move), and an old aluminum crutch, SLIGHTLY modded, works PDG for ME! BUT you WILL need either a 'spool' on the right side, OR an 8mm (later Vs) or 10mm bolt (earlier Vs) threaded into your swingarm.

twowheeladdict likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:09 PM

Garage
What brand center stand did you install, @ovidiu.samfirescu? Hepco Becker? SW Motech? AFAIK, neither one should ever interfere with the chain. I installed the HB. As it happens, I chewed up one chain to an incredible superslack floppitude by means of dumb neglect while crossing the dusty desert southwest, yet I never had the chain hit the stand. All's it did was start to snatch at the sprocket. My dumb was, I was only lubing the chain about ever thou, instead of every four hundred. Are you certain you installed the stand correctly, ovidiu? Where's it hitting? Is the stand cocked to port? I can't make out these thumbnail pics. I click on one, I get naught.

@dddd :
No, you don't need center stands at home... Just the opposite! Yes, you may have to remove a wheel on the road. I've had it happen. No, you're not always near either home or a shop when the poop hits the prop. I take it you've had some blowback from your anti-stand stand. Let's hope you don't learn the hard way. Both bulk and weight are low as you can go. Not an issue.

But here's a peach: "Or even worst, just for storage?" What? There's many and many a guy in this world with just a wee strip room between cars in the garage, where a bike leaning on the side stand would be a major pain for the old lady to sidle round, when compared to one on the center. I got a good buddy just up the street with two bikes on their stands between two cars just like that. The driver door to the old lady's bimmer opens up right where his bikes live. I have a teensy one car garage myself. The wife's car lives outside. My truck lives on the street. Whenever the bike fleet in our wee garage exceeds four, one bike or other, at least, has to to go up on the center stand. Otherwise, we can't tote the groceries through.

But most often, it's just this: I fetch up at Motel Patel in East Gnawed Pencil Tennessee, after too long of a day in the saddle, exhausted, ready to rinse off the road grime and collapse. Need an early start at the crack of tomorrow. Up on the center stand, shake my can of PJ Blue, spin the back wheel, done ... and bless the fact I thought to make life easy.

Tho with the KLR, it was most often this: Way out in the boonies, I'd prop her on the center stand so that a surprise three a. m. thunderstorm wouldn't sink sidestand into the mud and drop that puppy.
quexpress likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
How do you clean, lube and adjust he chain when you are on a trip?
With a 14inches tube under the right swingarm spool.
The tube triples as a duct tape roll and a shift lever straightener if bent.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all the answers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
What brand center stand did you install, @ovidiu.samfirescu? Hepco Becker? SW Motech?
I have a center stand from Motea (https://www.motea.com/en/centre-stan...tands-806412-0) it is similar to SW Motech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Can you re-take your pic #6, but focus on the chain where it is close to the foot of your stand (a BIT further right).
I will make today clearer pictures

I took a small trip with my wife this weekend (about 120 km) and I notice that under load (with my wife on the bike) I don't hear the sound so often.
I ordered today a torque wrench, and I will try to adjust the chain slack, but one question, because all the posts about the chain slack adjustment got me confused:
How should I adjust the chain slack:
- On the center stand, without any load
- On the side stand without load
- On the side stand with load
???

Also as a side note: my gear changes are not so smooth, like they are "catching" into something ... I don't know how to explain it. Do I need to do/check something?

Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
How should I adjust the chain slack:
- On the center stand, without any load
- On the side stand without load
- On the side stand with load
???
Check your OWNERS MANUAL. Mine says to check it on the sidestand so that the chain is "under load". I use a "pit-stand" in my garage which loads the chain, so I check it the same way.

Quote:
...Also as a side note: my gear changes are not so smooth, like they are "catching" into something ... I don't know how to explain it. Do I need to do/check something?

Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers!
I think that is normal. However many of us found the shifting to improve considerably once we changed over to FULL SYNTHETIC motor oil. I use Mobil1 15w-50

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-03-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I think that is normal. However many of us found the shifting to improve considerably once we changed over to FULL SYNTHETIC motor oil. I use Mobil1 15w-50
I used Motul 5100 10W40 wich should be fully synthetic ... I will try the mobil 1 15W-50 next time. Is it ok to use 15W-50 btw?

I attached some clearer pictures ... you can clearly see how the chain "leans" on the center stand ...

Thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-04 at 08.05.10.jpg (19.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-04 at 08.05.09.jpg (17.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-04 at 08.05.09 (3).jpg (18.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-04 at 08.05.09 (2).jpg (17.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-04 at 08.05.09 (1).jpg (21.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-04 at 08.05.08.jpg (21.8 KB, 12 views)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Chain slack

IMHO your chain has too much slack.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I used Motul 5100 10W40 wich should be fully synthetic ... I will try the mobil 1 15W-50 next time. Is it ok to use 15W-50 btw?....
Yes - I've used it for MORE than 100,000 miles, as have many others. BTW - the M1 15w-50 is an automobile oil. NO clutch (or anything else...) problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
IMHO your chain has too much slack.
AGREED!!!
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Good
now, another question:
what torque should I use to tighten the bolts after I decrease the slack?
what tool should I use to make sure that the chain sprocket is straight?

Thanks!
CHEERS!
Ovi
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Two grunts.

Quote:
Eyeball

You worry too much.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Good
now, another question:

Thanks!
CHEERS!
Ovi

Once you get the adjustment where it needs to be I tighten the adjustment nuts "hand tight". Then use the 2nd nut (furthest to the rear) and tighten that down snug. (I've had these loosen on me before so check them every time you clean and lube your chain!)

As for chain alignment, I use the Motion Pro tool.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I use a Profi-Cat laser tool specific for the job. It is not cheap, but there is nothing else like it to really get the alignment perfect. For sure do not trust the marks on the swingarm. They are so notoriously bad that they shouldn't even bother to make the marks.

https://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-t...alignment-tool

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Good
now, another question:
what torque should I use to tighten the bolts after I decrease the slack?...
The MANUAL says 80 pound-feet of torque for the axle nut.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:28 PM

the adjusters are about 6mm bolts I think, so 7 N.m (only need to not move so a small torque is enough).
the axle is 108 N.m.

alignement is fair with the markings on the swingarm.
Don't forget to tighten the chain (screwdriver in sprocket trick) while adjusting and tightening the axle...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode