Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Cooling system and more...guidance please?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Fastoman 
#1 ·
Well, after 42.5K miles, my 2011 is needing more than maintenance for the first time. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Here's the run down...

Water temp light came on when sitting in traffic. I noticed the fan wasn't kicking on. Started troubleshooting the fan, at which time I discovered my battery wasn't staying charged. Replaced the battery, as I knew it was due to be replaced anyhow. Still not holding charge. Troubleshooting that revealed that the stator was bad, so I replaced it and the regulator/rectifier too. The original stator had one burnt coil. As I was replacing those parts, I discovered an oil leak from the water pump cover. Not sure if it's from the cover (maybe gaskets need replacing) or one of the bolts under there.

Could this all be related? Overheating engine, burnt stator, oil leak from the the water pump cover? Seems like it to me, but not sure.

Unrelated, I think at least one of my forks is leaking oil...there was clean oil collected on the rim of my front tire...

I've got a few things to address:
1. Oil leak from the water pump area. Any thoughts on most likely culprit? Should I just get in there and replace the gaskets?
2. Radiator fan operation. I don't know if the stator / battery charge issue would impact the fan kicking on or not. If it's still not kicking on after the stator replacement, I think she's going into the shop.
3. Fork seals. A doable job for me, but if I recall, it's probably kind of a PITA. Lots of things to take off and put back on...

I should also mention that when I was troubleshooting the fan and took the airbox etc. off, I noticed a good amount of oil on the air filter. Cleaned it up, replaced spark plugs while I was in there.

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
...As I was replacing those parts, I discovered an oil leak from the water pump cover. Not sure if it's from the cover (maybe gaskets need replacing) or one of the bolts under there....
Here's a link to my thread on fixing the [SAME?] problem when it occurred on my '08.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/foru...-650/17509-chasing-down-oil-leak-my-08-a.html
Thanks for that link! Yep. That seems to be the same as one of my problems. I was able to clean it up, run the bike, and noticed oil leaking from the water pump cover.

I also talked to the guys at my local dealership. They were saying that oil leaking would likely indicate bad mechanical seal and if it was coolant leaking, it would indicate gaskets/o-rings. All the parts are on order to replace all those gaskets.

Regarding the overheating, I've got a new thermostat on the way and will be replacing that too...

#5 ·
Well, drained the coolant, removed the water pump. There was clearly oil leaking past the mechanical seal of the water pump, so that's getting replaced. I've got one on the way, but I'm struggling to get the old one out, and I'm guessing that getting the new one in will be tough too. I don't have a bearing driver set. I tried a socket and a rubber mallet. No luck.

Maybe I can take it to my favorite local shop and have them remove and install that seal. It would probably cost me less than a bearing driver set.

When I drained the coolant, there was lots of sediment in there. Perhaps that was part of the overheating problem. Time for a radiator flush.

I tested the thermostat. It tested fine, opened between 175 and 180F.

There's still the issue with the fan...gotta test that too...

#6 ·
Fan was definitely bad. Replaced it with a used one. It's coming on as expected. No more water temp light coming on.

Replaced all the seals in the water pump. No more oil leaking from there, but I've got a coolant drip from the little drain hole. I'm guessing one of the rubber seals got unseated as I was putting it on. Other than that, all seems to be good. She runs great again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.