Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Battery vs Connectors

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Yeah, getting old one out was "challenging" to say the least...

Quick trip to BatteriesPlus and came home with a Duracell replacement battery.

NOW the tough part - tight cables and connectors do not align.

Any options other than flattening current connectors?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well you have the battery and I assume it isn't returnable. The OEM Yuasa battery is a tough AGM Absorbed Glass Mat, designed for motorcycles where vibration and heat, high charge current etc comes into play, over 40 years with using this manufacturer , the average life has been 6 to 7 years. So that doesn't help you, some guys have gone with lithium batteries for weight saving at roughly 4 times the price, I really don't care about weight, before I spent 4 times that of AGM I would go on a diet.
Your photo is hard to tell if that is round posts or just how the new battery is made for connections, and I assume the positive terminal is at the red lead.If it is bolt on the same as original, you could get a piece of copper buss, cut to the same inside width then bolt in place as a spacer, anything else will just be bastardized and look it , I know the engine ground has zero give in it, in fact all wiring is on the short side on the 2015 and newer.

#3 ·
Stare at pieces long enough and google long enough, solution is usually right in front of you.

From revzilla their "How to install..." included the little tidbit "Have no fear, this is not the “wrong” battery — you just have an additional step to tackle. The better battery manufacturers will include a set of brass or aluminum spacers to take up this space for bikes whose cables require them."

Sure enough, brass spacers on plastic cap over pos terminal with the mounting screws...

God help me when it's time to clean/swap air filter, eh?

#4 ·
This thread has inspired me to do a bit of research as the battery in my '15 is now four years old, but does still "seem" OK.

BTW, the factory air filter is paper and comes out on the way to check/adjust valves. That is another "fun" but required job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.