Chain friction - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By asphaltaddict33

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Chain friction

The OEM chain has a lot of internal friction. More than a lot more than a bicycle chain. More than I expected.

Do other brands have less friction? The fuel savings could be significant.

This all started with trying to track down an intermittent drive train noise, a click at a slower rate than wheel speed. Thinking it might be a stiff link in the chain I've been fondling it this afternoon and noticed the friction in the joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Any Chain will carry some amount of friction and if you align and lub it properly , you should be able to reduce or keep friction at minimum. I use DID brand and so far been holding.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Garage
How did you measure internal friction? How many miles on the chain? If the chain is clean the only friction should be coming from the o-rings.

so it goes...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I just used my hands bending each joint to try to find a binding link. Also I pulled the chain off and then spun the rear wheel, which rotated much more freely. There's some gear box friction in neutral but I didn't fiddle with trying to feel that.

From the little bit of internet searching I've done, it seems an O ring chain has more internal friction than an X ring. I may try a different chain.

Roller friction is another factor. I'll put more effort into getting lube into the rollers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I just used my hands bending each joint to try to find a binding link. Also I pulled the chain off and then spun the rear wheel, which rotated much more freely. There's some gear box friction in neutral but I didn't fiddle with trying to feel that.

From the little bit of internet searching I've done, it seems an O ring chain has more internal friction than an X ring. I may try a different chain.

Roller friction is another factor. I'll put more effort into getting lube into the rollers.
What year bike is the chain on? Has it been maintained from day 1?
I bought a used (1400 miles) 2016 V650, and the chain was neglected. I now have 11,000 miles on it, and it is nearly shot. I also have a 2016 V1K that I purchased brand new, just turned 26,000 miles on it, and the chain is not showin any signs of approaching the end of it's life.
Cleaning and lubing a chain in a timely manner is very important in my experience.

Jayô
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
What year bike is the chain on? Has it been maintained from day 1?
2015 with about 8k miles. Yes, it has been cleaned and lubed every 400 miles. Videos of people spinning the rear tire, like when lubing the chain, show a similar amount of drag as mine has. I'm thinking this is normal for the OEM chain, but boy is it inefficient.

I'll be on the lookout for a lower friction chain with a rivet master link to replace it with.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 AM

How much chain slack are you running? I run on the looser end of OEM spec and feel anything close to 1" feels tight and offers more drag on the drivetrain
jaaklucas likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
The OEM chain has a lot of internal friction. More than a lot more than a bicycle chain. More than I expected.

Do other brands have less friction? The fuel savings could be significant.

This all started with trying to track down an intermittent drive train noise, a click at a slower rate than wheel speed. Thinking it might be a stiff link in the chain I've been fondling it this afternoon and noticed the friction in the joints.
If you check - you'll find that the racers do NOT use O-ring chains, and that's BECAUSE of the horse-power-robbing friction. For them - it's worthwhile to change chains each race. And bicycle chains don't have O-rings either.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode