Brake feel - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brake feel

So I've been pondering the switch to SS braided lines, read the threads on the improved "feel" etc.

Need some advice, not much experience in this area. I can get it that a more rigid line will make braking feel more "direct" (no more damping effect from bulging rubber lines), but will it not make the back wheel lock up even easier than it does now?

In the few panic stops I've done, the number one risk I've experienced is locking up the rear - managed a few times to release a bit of pressure to keep the rear tracking though. I would think a more direct connection to the rear brake pads would cause the rear to lock up much quicker, no? Or does the increased feel allow you to better differentiate between rear locked versus rolling?

Any advice is appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dave T.

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM

IMHO a ss rear brake line adds ZERO feel to the wooden rear brake and under really hard braking the rear is so light it's rarely effective. When I ordered my lines I was sent a rear line eventhough I hadn't ordered it - I like to think they sent it due to the long wait. I went ahead and installed it and I could tell no dif and still rarely use the rear.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM

Maybe try upgrading the pads first?
Then go from there....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM

I would recommend doing both. Upgrade to SS lines in the front and getting a better quality pads.
I'm going to Vesrah pads on my track bike. Maybe they have something for the V too.

Haven't found a "need" to use the rear brakes yet.

Bill K
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Original Tokico pads are actually HH rated... My Vesrah JL HH front pads are still a good upgrade. They now have even better performing pads like the RJL, as noted by BRP.

"The old EBC HH's were junk. Problem was the backing plate transferring heat to the pistons. Lots of warp. From the input I have received, the (EBC) EXP's stop every bit as well as the (Vesrah) RJL's and last longer."

http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/vi...t=2319&start=0

Vesrah racing brake pads available in RJL, SRJL 17, and SRJL 8 compounds, as listed for EX-650 (#VD-354).

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_42.htm

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_56.htm

I like my Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid as well, by the way.

http://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/77
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 AM

Garage
I wouldn't bother doing the back unless you have ABS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbud View Post
So I've been pondering the switch to SS braided lines, read the threads on the improved "feel" etc.

Need some advice, not much experience in this area. I can get it that a more rigid line will make braking feel more "direct" (no more damping effect from bulging rubber lines), but will it not make the back wheel lock up even easier than it does now?

In the few panic stops I've done, the number one risk I've experienced is locking up the rear - managed a few times to release a bit of pressure to keep the rear tracking though. I would think a more direct connection to the rear brake pads would cause the rear to lock up much quicker, no? Or does the increased feel allow you to better differentiate between rear locked versus rolling?

Any advice is appreciated!
If you fear rear lock up and dont have ABS as standard, try TCB system.
http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 AM

Garage
From my opinion, having steel braided hoses will give you more control on the braking of the vehicle. Now when you brake you will sure get a consistent braking performance. With some training you will know how the steel braided hoses feels and react and how much you need to press on the brakes.

The danger of the rubber hoses is they can expand, thus if you really need braking power, if the rubber expands too much, then the braking performance will suffer.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM

You'll probably get much more bang for your buck by just doing a brake fluid flush. SS lines only really make a difference at the higher end of braking pressures, and even then they don't give you 'more' braking power, just a more linear feel. I put them on the Ninja and didn't notice much of a difference, but changing out the 5 year old fluid it came with was like night and day. They do look better though, and won't degrade as quickly in the sun as rubber lines.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM

Brake feel

don't know how long it's been with that fluid, but I am all for moving up to ss lines. ultimately, your braking power still comes down to tire and asphalt, but the feeling in the levers is much more precise. are versys brakes linked? if not just upgrade the front lines and leave the rear with just a fluid change.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM

I was interested to hear about the other pad options, thanks Invader. Those who have "upgraded" to the EBC double-H pads, myself included, have noticed better performance (more initial bite, better feel), but I haven't heard much about warp (rotors?). Perhaps this phenomenon is more common to racers, where repeated heavy brake application can lead to heat build-up.
I also upgraded the lines to SS braided and change the fluid regularly. I bought the cheap ones (Bremzen). My lever is firm with modulated two-finger braking over a 1/2" span, with another 1/4" for extreme measures. Unless you are set-up to work on brakes, have the shop do the SS lines. You need to push (or pull) fluid up through the lines, and you'll fight it for a week without a proper setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode