First mini-trip, looking for advice on improvements - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcruarceri View Post
Thanks, Although, My vacations/wardrobe seems to be much more budget minded then yours, lol. But bear spray was the one thing on my list I hadnít picked up in time for packing last time I would like to add, for insurance. My$20 on sale flannel and Thinsulate lined blue jeans kinda set the tone for the clothes I wore and they did fine but do to some personal physical limitations (bad knee/leg) I keep the hiking/adventuring down to a mile or two a day if Iím going to be on the bike for a trip so the clothes donít see extremes either. No good be stranded because I blew out my leg at camp.
Knees are funny that way. Hope yours at least are stable. I get asked a great deal about our clothing. We actually choose our clothes for ruggedness, functionality, space, and performance because of what we do. The great thing is they tend to last a very long time so the costs are spread over many years, which makes them more budget friendly over time.

Enjoy your adventures and hope you never need bear spray - especially in Idaho!
Tcruarceri likes this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post

Enjoy your adventures and hope you never need bear spray - especially in Idaho!
I was camping at high point New Jersey where there seemed to be some real concern of run ins with black bears but did not see any myself this time. My usually riding is Long Island, ny, and there hasnít been a wild bear here in a century or more sadly.
Shibumik likes this.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Garage
I used to live in Stony Brook, NY. I know a few cougars who live there.
quexpress and Tcruarceri like this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I used to live in Stony Brook, NY. I know a few cougars who live there.
Are they man-eaters...?

Shibumik and Tcruarceri like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
Just the good ones!

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Lol I gotta start riding through stony brook! Mastic raised, work and try and make my living on the east end of the south fork now (for better or for worse...) so my trips off island generally start with the 90-120 Long Island Expressway free for fall and cross Bronx parking lot.
Shibumik likes this.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Lol I gotta start riding through stony brook! Mastic raised, work and try and make my living on the east end of the south fork now (for better or for worse...) so my trips off island generally start with the 90-120 Long Island Expressway free for fall and cross Bronx parking lot.
Holy crap! I had a summer home in Sag Harbor for years. I got tired of free parking on the LIE for hours and wondered why I bought the place. (It just sold for stupid big money. Wondered why I didnít keep it now!) Plus all the cocky NYC dudes in their Lamborghinis and the wannabes got tiring too. I was among the more sedate crowd wanting to get away from the world not be hit by it head on. Couldnít imagine that trip on a bike - and then the Throgs Neck to the GWB and the Bronx? Iíd rather have a colonoscopy without anesthesia and a rusty speculum by an angry doctor who just got served divorce papers!
Tcruarceri likes this.

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Holy crap! I had a summer home in Sag Harbor for years. I got tired of free parking on the LIE for hours and wondered why I bought the place. (It just sold for stupid big money. Wondered why I didnít keep it now!) Plus all the cocky NYC dudes in their Lamborghinis and the wannabes got tiring too. I was among the more sedate crowd wanting to get away from the world not be hit by it head on. Couldnít imagine that trip on a bike - and then the Throgs Neck to the GWB and the Bronx? Iíd rather have a colonoscopy without anesthesia and a rusty speculum by an angry doctor who just got served divorce papers!
The place I rent is just south of sag harbor of the Bridgehampton turnpike. I pay stupid money for it and from June-September the roads and people go absolutely crazy but for the other 8 months itís a nice quiet place that simply costs too much. Yeah, I had to conquer some fears to take the bike through what it takes to get off this sandbar but got mostly lucky with traffic both ways for once.
Shibumik likes this.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
The place I rent is just south of sag harbor of the Bridgehampton turnpike. I pay stupid money for it and from June-September the roads and people go absolutely crazy but for the other 8 months it’s a nice quiet place that simply costs too much. Yeah, I had to conquer some fears to take the bike through what it takes to get off this sandbar but got mostly lucky with traffic both ways for once.
Knowing traffic patterns help. i usually got nailed on one end of the adventure whatever time slot When I had to travel west. I lived out there for 12 years. I miss New York and true New Yorkers. Stony Brook and Sag Harbor are special places. I don’t miss the traffic, but I still think New York drivers are some of the best. In Indiana turn signals are optional equipment. I shouldn’t complain. They’re illegal in Philadelphia! Still wouldn’t want to bike the Cross Bronx. I’ve seen disabled cars being stripped in daylight more than once.
Tcruarceri likes this.

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:34 AM

Garage
By the way...

When youíre camping there are a few creature comforts we wouldnít be caught without - and these fit easily in your pack. One of them is this hammock. We have straps that go between trees if your trip takes you to woodsy places. Life without these would be less. We sit and lounge in them and several guys have rain covers and sleep in them. This system is very cool.

https://www.rei.com/product/754773/e...lenest-hammock

Another is this chair. Very light, strong, and compact. We swear by it.

https://www.rei.com/product/114354/r...te-macro-chair

Of course we take fly rods too because itís just the right thing to do.
Tcruarceri likes this.

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

I was gifted one of those tiny folding stools that is very high quality and was a nice luxury, although it didnít have a back rest like the one you linked. I still am debating the hammock, I didnt think the park would be ok with them for some reason but noticed a few using them. It is certainly on the list for next time.

Still debating trying to add a few pieces to my home made support rails, anyone have shots of how the factory hard cases hook up on gen 3s?
Shibumik likes this.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Yes.

The lower > points to the male-part that goes into the lowest attachment point; the upper left O > points to where the aft female attachment point; and the middle O > points to the fwd female attachment point (which the 'lock' operates into).

Hope this is clear for you.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Hmmm that looks like it needs to be a very specific shape to lock in there. Do you have a shot of the corresponding pieces on the hard cases? Looks like it be easier to attach to grab rails...

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

The red > points to the top two:

and to all three from this end-view:

Tcruarceri likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Update:
Installed some SW Motech luggage support after grabbing them while they were on sale, carved up two cheap cutting boards for extra support and added tool tubes for extra capacity. Bags sit level and secure now, and the SWMotech racks, boards, tubes and bags can be removed with three locking screws per side and be off the bike in a minute.
Have a trip planned for central PA next month to test it all out, pictures to follow.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Photos attached, will getting better/bigger [and more right side up] up later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D5884AEE-E369-4BA4-9EB3-5684D07D488A.jpg (18.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 230EF44F-B979-48CA-B37B-90E3D3673C5D.jpg (26.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 0F7A5259-B128-4B19-AD4A-755E64F1E78A.jpg (18.9 KB, 12 views)

2018 Versys 650 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode