Bulbs for Versys 2010 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bulbs for Versys 2010

Hello,

i'm looking for the exact type of bulb for High and Low and the small one above them, and the License Plate Light.

i'd like to buy led or Xenon instead of them.

BTW the model is 2010.

Thanks.
mendilevin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I would avoid replacing your flasher bulbs with LED's as they require a solid state flasher to function plus are only on when turning.

Other running lights can be replaced with LED's, just check EBay or http://www.superbrightleds.com/ - they make direct screw in replacement bulbs for most common bulb sizes.

You cannot directly replace your headlight bulbs with LEDs though as they will not be bright enough. For your low beam you can buy a H7 size HID replacement kit that comes with the bulb and power transformer XENON requires for about $30-40. The high beam bulb, which is also an H7, does not work so well with HID because a draw back of florescent bulbs like HID is they take 30 seconds or so to reach full brightness. Also the long tubular shape of hid bulbs does not focus the light correctly in a reflector unit designed for a shorter incandescent bulb. This is more pronounced with the high beam.

Do not confuse white haligon bulbs for XEXON bulbs - they sometimes mislabel white bulbs as XENON bulbs. Real XENON or HID bulbs are florescent and require a transformer and ballast to work.
twowheels is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the answer.

HID Kit is unlawful in my country, so i just like brighter light.

what about OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER ?

BTW what is the type of bulbs? High and Low and the small one above them, and the License Plate Light ?
mendilevin is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,809
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendilevin View Post
Thanks for the answer.

HID Kit is unlawful in my country, so i just like brighter light.

what about OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER ?

BTW what is the type of bulbs? High and Low and the small one above them, and the License Plate Light ?
This is in another thread, what I and many others run, can't remember the lumens, think it is 2100 as opposed to OEM 1500. Several people have purchased from eBay, offer around $6 per lamp----
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200704833717...84.m1438.l2649



Also link to one of many posts on this---- and my housing has some heat damage, a bit blue, but that is after four years.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=night+breaker

Last edited by onewizard; 02-01-2013 at 03:46 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 16,043
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I use the Osram Night Breakers. Very happy with them.....http://www.motivemods.com/OSRAM-Nigh...osr-nbp-h7.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
weljo2001 is online now  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Member
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendilevin View Post
Thanks for the answer.

HID Kit is unlawful in my country, so i just like brighter light.

what about OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER ?

BTW what is the type of bulbs? High and Low and the small one above them, and the License Plate Light ?
Headlight high and low beams are H7's and city light and license plate are T10 wedge bulbs.
MaverickAus is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Member
 
andrewhtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As stated by maverick above.

I tried nightbreakers before. I would say the improvements to be hardly noticeably. Sure, slightly whiter lights compared to the yellowish stock but brighter and shines further as advertised? Well, not to my eyes. Plus the bulb is short on life, i think mine on the low beam lasted about 300+ hours only. Popped back the stock halogen instead.

I'm not expecting much on its competitions too, phillips silverstars and sylvannia, Also decided against HID xenon kit as it would not be good in night mists and rain, something that regularly happens in the place i ride. so i took the route of going LED spotlight. I would be putting a 65 watt halogen in place of the high beam as and when the burnt off too.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
andrewhtf is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Member
 
Zatx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ummm... LEDs work fine in the turn signal lights. They certainly flash anyway. They actually flash faster than the stock bulbs apparently due to less resistance.

I have LED's in my turn signals, license plate light, and driving light with no issues.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


May the road always curve in front of you.
Zatx is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bulbs for Versys 2010

Hi,

Sorry if this is a thread drift (couldn't find much using the search function) but i've gone through a few headlight bulbs lately. The last one to blow completely smashed the globe to pieces ie just 'glass dust' in the headlight housing instead of shattered bits of glass! The time before the low beams stopped working then a day later the high beam failed too. I replaced both bulbs and they still didn't work so i checked the fuse and found it had failed. New fuse and it was right as rain til the other day when the above happened.

I've got her booked in tomorrow to have it looked at but does anybody have any guesses what is wrong? Regulator on its way out? I haven't got a multimeter so i can't check any current draw etc (i guess i could just go and buy a multimeter!) but everything else on the bike is perfect. The battery is probably original (2008) but i've had it on the charger a few times during down time to keep it topped up. Starts with a flick of the starter, no dimming of lights before they fail, no change in indicator flash rate.

It looks like the electrical components of the versys are relatively expensive according to ebay so hopefully its not too painful!

Thanks in advance!

JB


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Its the Pleats is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,809
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
As stated by maverick above.

I tried nightbreakers before. I would say the improvements to be hardly noticeably. Sure, slightly whiter lights compared to the yellowish stock but brighter and shines further as advertised? Well, not to my eyes. Plus the bulb is short on life, i think mine on the low beam lasted about 300+ hours only. Popped back the stock halogen instead.

I too.
That is correct, as you had the wrong bulb, go to the link I provided and scroll down to Invaders post,
lumens is 1750.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...9&postcount=10

The other link on ebay is the same bulb as the H7 hyper, 2100 lumens. Here is a comparison on a VW car.

http://www.my-gti.com/1780/upgrading...d-65watt-bulbs

I do a lot less night riding but I can say with high beam on, I have a total of 4200 lumens as compared to stock of 3000 lumens--------same 500 hour lamp life, and it is a big difference over stock.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-30-2013 at 05:19 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,809
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its the Pleats View Post
Hi,

Sorry if this is a thread drift (couldn't find much using the search function) but i've gone through a few headlight bulbs lately. The last one to blow completely smashed the globe to pieces ie just 'glass dust' in the headlight housing instead of shattered bits of glass! The time before the low beams stopped working then a day later the high beam failed too. I replaced both bulbs and they still didn't work so i checked the fuse and found it had failed. New fuse and it was right as rain til the other day when the above happened.

I've got her booked in tomorrow to have it looked at but does anybody have any guesses what is wrong? Regulator on its way out? I haven't got a multimeter so i can't check any current draw etc (i guess i could just go and buy a multimeter!) but everything else on the bike is perfect. The battery is probably original (2008) but i've had it on the charger a few times during down time to keep it topped up. Starts with a flick of the starter, no dimming of lights before they fail, no change in indicator flash rate.

It looks like the electrical components of the versys are relatively expensive according to ebay so hopefully its not too painful!

Thanks in advance!

JB


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Well my guess is other than regulator problems, much of the electronics on the bike is very unforgiving when it comes to overvoltage. One guess is that the bulbs have been touched by human hands before install, this will cause failure. If you accidently touch glass, use isopropyl alcohol .
onewizard is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bulbs for Versys 2010

I thought about the idea that i touched the bulb when installing it but i always wore cotton gloves and am careful about not touching them. Since three bulbs have blown i can probably rule that out. The v is at the shop now so hopefully i get a call saying they found whats wrong and its a cheap fix. The more likely outcome is that they find nothing wrong, charge me an hours labour and a new bulb and that will blow in the next few weeks! I really hate electrical problems on bikes. Unless there is smoke pouring out of a component its alway hard to replicate the fault.

Fingers crossed!


Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Its the Pleats is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bulbs for Versys 2010

Just got off the phone to the mechanics and they reckon the bike is putting out 14.9V at the headlight! They've moved into their second hour of labour and and madly going through wiring diagrams trying to find which wire could be causing a bad earth or similar.

So maybe no parts required, phew!


Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Its the Pleats is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,809
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its the Pleats View Post
Just got off the phone to the mechanics and they reckon the bike is putting out 14.9V at the headlight! They've moved into their second hour of labour and and madly going through wiring diagrams trying to find which wire could be causing a bad earth or similar.

So maybe no parts required, phew!


Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I can't see 0.7 VDC causing a problem, normal running voltage is 14.2 VDC. What I would suggest is you may have a battery problem, like a loose connection at the terminal. All drawings use both the wire connection to minus plus the frame ground, so no chance of losing ground. Also, a bad ground doesn't give over voltage, typically low voltage. The car with one dim headlight, is a bad ground. The other possability is the headlight relay is due to be replaced, a sparking relay contact will cause bulb failure. If you ever noticed someone turning on a incandescent light in a room that shared the same circuit with a existing light already on, you would notice a momentary dimming of the light that was already on. That is in rush current that causes that, the filament is low resistance and until it heats up the current could be 6 times its normal current ( we are talking a second).
onewizard is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bulbs for Versys 2010

Thanks wizard. Now they're telling me they've traced it back to a fault in the voltage rectifier. $240!! Anybody got a link to a cheaper one?!? I'll have a search...


Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Its the Pleats is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 16,043
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its the Pleats View Post
Thanks wizard. Now they're telling me they've traced it back to a fault in the voltage rectifier. $240!! Anybody got a link to a cheaper one?!? I'll have a search...


Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Not positive but should work on a 2010.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/RICKS-VOLTAG...20913523286%26

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
weljo2001 is online now  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Member
 
andrewhtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
That is correct, as you had the wrong bulb, go to the link I provided and scroll down to Invaders post,
lumens is 1750.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...9&postcount=10

The other link on ebay is the same bulb as the H7 hyper, 2100 lumens. Here is a comparison on a VW car.

http://www.my-gti.com/1780/upgrading...d-65watt-bulbs

I do a lot less night riding but I can say with high beam on, I have a total of 4200 lumens as compared to stock of 3000 lumens--------same 500 hour lamp life, and it is a big difference over stock.
Yup, i do have that bulb next up on my list. My only concern is the extra 15w will surely generate more heat for the housing and load stress for the stock wiring hence only intends for it to be the high beam bulb. For the low beam, i find it to be sufficient to use stock bulb as it would be supplemented by my side spotlights when necessary.

Even with the stock bulb, the low beam housing already have "burn" marks on the reflector above the bulb.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
andrewhtf is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,809
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its the Pleats View Post
Thanks wizard. Now they're telling me they've traced it back to a fault in the voltage rectifier. $240!! Anybody got a link to a cheaper one?!? I'll have a search...


Sent from Motorcycle.com App

both new and used , several have purchased stators from them, look under burnt stators, even new from them is less than half. http://www.rmstator.com/en/catalog-y...ys?filter=true
onewizard is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,809
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Yup, i do have that bulb next up on my list. My only concern is the extra 15w will surely generate more heat for the housing and load stress for the stock wiring hence only intends for it to be the high beam bulb. For the low beam, i find it to be sufficient to use stock bulb as it would be supplemented by my side spotlights when necessary.

Even with the stock bulb, the low beam housing already have "burn" marks on the reflector above the bulb.
only 10 watts more, and my reflector went blue several years ago, still works fine,
onewizard is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,809
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its the Pleats View Post
Thanks wizard. Now they're telling me they've traced it back to a fault in the voltage rectifier. $240!! Anybody got a link to a cheaper one?!? I'll have a search...


Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I had another look, Australia would be very expensive to ship from Quebec, I would inquire though, may be woth your time.
onewizard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome